Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trouble shooting a broken window.
morcus

posted on 6/6/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble shooting a broken window.

Now that my car runs, fixing the window is my next job.

When you press the button nothing happens and it doesn't make a sound. What should I check first as I don't want to buy a new regulator then find out it's just a fuse or something.

My thoughts were check the fuses first but after that I'm stumped as to what to check.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

bi22le

posted on 6/6/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it?

I have fixed many elecy windows on all sorts of cars. You need a multimeter and some basic knowledge. Below is a list, in order, of the things I would check.

1) Fuse
2) wires and the plug that joins the door loom to the car (door shut area)
3) output from switch
4) Window motor and asociated gubbins.

Things I would be supprised it ended up being.
1) Actually wiring in the door. (unless somebody has moved and re routed the wiring, this is normally on the outside of the skin.
2) Relay (never seen one go)
3) Any kind of control module (same as above)

Good luck.

Remember you have at least one other working door so you can compare and swap parts before going and spending your monies.

U2U me if you need any further help.

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

perksy

posted on 6/6/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
As above

Check the fuse
Test for voltage at the motor

Check where the cable connects/passes through the door as i fixed a Punto once and all it needed was a squirt of contact cleaner in the connector on the door

morcus

posted on 6/6/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 1990 eunos roadster if that helps, thanks for the list of things, I bought a multi meter last week so I'll probably have made back my £20 by the end of this week.

I'll start on that lot tommorrow.

Stupid question though, how do I test the voltage? do I just hook up the meter in parallel like when testing a battery and press the button?

gazzarose

posted on 6/6/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
As above check the connection between the door and the body, but not nust the pins, check the wire is actually connected. Our Defender in work suddenly stopped working, and thats what in turned out to the, the wire had snapped inside the flexible conduit thing.

Gareth

bi22le

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, voltage check is just parallel to the motor.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazzarose
As above check the connection between the door and the body, but not nust the pins, check the wire is actually connected. Our Defender in work suddenly stopped working, and thats what in turned out to the, the wire had snapped inside the flexible conduit thing.

Gareth

+1 on that - but with a Galaxy/Sharan

morcus

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll have a look at all of those bits, I'm hoping this is going to be a blown fuse or loose connection as memory of my dad fitting a new motor tells me it's a pain to do.

McLannahan

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably just dirty channels in the door. They get filled up with dirt and grime and over time the motor slows and slows until it doesn't raise or lower the window.

Take the door card off and clean the channels properly. I ran some candle wax down the window edges and window channels on my mx5 and it made a massive difference.

Motors do burn out with trying too hard to do the window but as said it's not so common. Check the fuses first as it's a two second job and then I'd pop the door card off and clean it all up.

Slow and non moving windows are sadly very common on the older mx5's!

morcus

posted on 7/6/12 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip. The passenger side is fine, but the drivers side just does nothing at all, I can't hear the motor going or anything. It's annoying as I had to drive about with the door open to get out of parking spaces.

britishtrident

posted on 7/6/12 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
I am not sure about your car but these days most electric widows operate via the body control computer, however the most likely causes remain a wiring break or connector or relay problem.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

theconrodkid

posted on 7/6/12 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
i had the same on mine,took the window switch apart and cleaned up the monster sized contacts,there is no relay so the contacts burn

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.