Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit Car Crisis The truth behind the car
vanepico

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-reynard/b/174/708
I'm definately up for spamming his ass!!!

BobM

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure some of my RGB mates went round and helped him out with the wiring too. I watched the series first time round and remember seeing one of them in the background. I don't think they were desperately impressed with him.

Not very Locost but very BEC

scootz

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
You'll find the series download here... link

You'll have to sign up to www.the box.bz first, but it's relatively straightforward and hassle free.

*Thanks to Westy who originally pointed me in the direction of this!

It's Evolution Baby!

40inches

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Download HERE Not done it myself, so usual precautions apply.

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I wondered how long it would take you to notice this, Tim

Just checked out the LinkedIn and 4NetWorking links - it appears that the guy is a professional bullshitter - who'd have known???

TimC

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
I'm pretty sure some of my RGB mates went round and helped him out with the wiring too. I watched the series first time round and remember seeing one of them in the background. I don't think they were desperately impressed with him.

Isn't Tim H involved in the bit where they spot 12mm bolts in 1/2" holes? It's been a long time since I watched it so far from certain.

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Tim H, and the shorter, balder (ginger hair) and very pleasant other chap who was a season'ed veteran of RGB - I think it was those guys that suggested the temp fix of the washers for the coilovers as he'd ordered the wrong ones.......

The other chap (not Tim H) was in one of the first episodes (3 or 4 I think) and he was sat on a deck chair witrh the leg's cut off in his pit garage, next to his car and his comments on MR were the same as everyone's would be - the car will be better than the driver... Then a bit later they had the same guy commenting on the unsuitability of the car and components like big wheels etc... Then obviously about MR's lack of experience etc and the fact that he squealed like a girl when someone took him out in a BEC... And not in a "giggly - I'm excited sort of way" - no, it was definitely a scared little girl way......

Yes, Rich - I am usually relatively calm, well, maybe not calm, but someone that doesn't lose his temper, but that guy really drew out the worst in me!

Ironic really, cos I only ever watched it when it was broadcast the first time round!

scootz

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Steve... how's you man!?

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Love this on the 4net link'

'has appeared in a number Pantomimes over the years and was presenter for a Discovery Channel TV series'

I think these are one and the same....!

Mistral Motorsport

scudderfish

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
From LinkedIn

quote:

We recently launched a new solution enabling clients to utilise 3D PowerPoint

If sitting through Powerpoint presentations wasn't bad enough already......

timhoverd

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Tim H, and the shorter, balder (ginger hair) and very pleasant other chap who was a season'ed veteran of RGB - I think it was those guys that suggested the temp fix of the washers for the coilovers as he'd ordered the wrong ones.......

Yes, I was there, I was in 2 or 3 episodes and, indeed, watched the whole thing before it went out, and after it went legal, to be sure there wasn't anything completely defamatory in it. The other chap was Mike Field.

The fix with the washers is because of the very common kit car issue about using 12mm bolts through a damper with 1/2" sphericals in it. He hadn't ordered the wrong dampers. Jeremy Phillips (Sylva) used to have an article on his web site about just this issue some years ago. It comes down to whether you're happy to rely on a bolt merely for its clamping ability or also want to be specific about it providing shear location.

It's worthwhile saying that, as in all TV programmes, you should take what appears on the TV with a giant pinch of salt. The TV crew filmed a huge amount of stuff and you could have edited it to give almost any impression you wanted. The truth is inevitably more bland and nuanced than is immediately apparent. That is, just regard it as entertainment...

But, come and find me at a race meeting and I'll tell you what I really think...

Tim

loggyboy

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timhoverd
But, come and find me at a race meeting and I'll tell you what I really think...

Tim

Cant you just tell us now?! lol

Mistral Motorsport

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Come on Tim, the guy might have been edited in the negative, and they might have edited out all his charity and humaity work in Africa - And I'm sorry to have such an opinion when I've never met the guy, however, if I'd have witnessed any singular act that I mention above on it's own from a person, then my opinion would be the same - the blokes an idiot...

Obviously, the fact that he does several of the things that I find particularly annoying in an individual, then rest assured about the fact, that I feel less bad about my negative opinion without having to meet him...

(Sorry if the above sounds like twaddle, I am in work and don't have time to think!)

timhoverd

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett - the blokes an idiot...

Did I say he wasn't?

But, to put things in context, his welding is actually good regardless of his other characteristics. (He'd been a theatrical set builder for this is a necessary skill.) The fact that you saw him welding on the TV, and then saw a completely shonky weld does not mean that he actually did that weld... (I can't remember if this actually happened but it's a sound example nonetheless.)

Tim

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ironically Tim, the welding that he did to give him some protection around his fuel tank seemed to be his only redeeming feature of the build - When he was welding, it certainly sounded like a good weld!

Having said that, the welding he did for his new pedals didn't seem all that good, but I didn't really look at the welds afterwards to be fair!

And no - you didn't say he "wasn't an idiot" - I wasn't really coming back to you on that one, it was simply that I was enforcing my post quite a bit above yours about my opinion to a Canadian member on here!

I thought you came across as you do in real life (a top bloke) and the same way you come across in your posts on your own race car builds (all of them, inc rebuilds!)

fifty50

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I may be interested in the chassis. Could you send me some more details please? owelly'at'owelly.co.uk
cheers.

I Will send you the details and Pics

fifty50

posted on 6/7/12 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett - the blokes an idiot...

Did I say he wasn't?

But, to put things in context, his welding is actually good regardless of his other characteristics. (He'd been a theatrical set builder for this is a necessary skill.) The fact that you saw him welding on the TV, and then saw a completely shonky weld does not mean that he actually did that weld... (I can't remember if this actually happened but it's a sound example nonetheless.)

Tim

Actually I disagree, the welding I saw him attempt was pretty abysmal, I had to show him how to use a mig, and I know this because it was my welder he was using , he actually had no idea how to use a mig, I believe he had only used an arc welder before.

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/7/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
When he welded the support round the fuel tank, it was after he'd made his "attempt" at the pedals and that looked abysmal, then when he welded that support, it sounded as if someone had changed all his settings for him and it sounded as if it welded absolutely fine - I can only assume it was then that you proferred your advice!

As I say above though, my comment was only based on the sound of it.

Oh, and as fellow members on here would comment - I'm not the best welder going! (Hey Joe/TimC?)

fifty50

posted on 6/7/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Yes, I was there, I was in 2 or 3 episodes and, indeed, watched the whole thing before it went out, and after it went legal, to be sure there wasn't anything completely defamatory in it. The other chap was Mike Field.

The fix with the washers is because of the very common kit car issue about using 12mm bolts through a damper with 1/2" sphericals in it. He hadn't ordered the wrong dampers. Jeremy Phillips (Sylva) used to have an article on his web site about just this issue some years ago. It comes down to whether you're happy to rely on a bolt merely for its clamping ability or also want to be specific about it providing shear location.

It's worthwhile saying that, as in all TV programmes, you should take what appears on the TV with a giant pinch of salt. The TV crew filmed a huge amount of stuff and you could have edited it to give almost any impression you wanted. The truth is inevitably more bland and nuanced than is immediately apparent. That is, just regard it as entertainment...

Tim

Actually Tim, He had ordered the wrong dampers, different to those the car was designed for, we ran the car on standard Gaz adjustable dampers with a 1/2" hole size. He had ordered the Gaz double adjustable dampers that had a 12mm hole size and were also much narrower at the top and bottom and so had to be spaced in the brackets both in width and hole size. I think something else had to be changed to to take the dampers as they were fowling due to there slightly diffent shape and size, I can't remember now it that was on the fron or rear

Westy1994

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
If Mr R is doing so well in these new ventures, with his posh website and the likes, how come he can't make some peace with Paul and pay the guy what he is owed. That surely has to restore some sort of confidence back into the guy?. I really don't understand how someone could live themselves otherwise.......
Steve Hignett

posted on 6/7/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Strange that Westy, I was thinking something similar...
jacko

posted on 7/7/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I could not stop laughing when he was fiber glassing the tube on the rear for the back lights wires .

And the time the bloke got hit on the hand when altering the chain length Think it was Carl the engine builder [ i would have hit the idiotwith the hammer]

[Edited on 7/7/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SCAR

posted on 7/7/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
If Mr R is doing so well in these new ventures, with his posh website and the likes, how come he can't make some peace with Paul and pay the guy what he is owed. That surely has to restore some sort of confidence back into the guy?. I really don't understand how someone could live themselves otherwise.......

Its so easy to produce "over blown" websites, just read them with a cynical mind and the smell of virtual bullshit soon comes through. The clues are usually there such as long and impressive descriptive sentences with the use of multple adjectives that actually say very little. Location address' that is either domestic or small startup unit.
I recently came across an International business consultancy company claiming to have teams located round the world involved in major events organisation. No vat registration number, working out of the owners parents house and a quick check with COMPANY CHECK website (free) showed no turnover and £9.00 worth of company assets. Reading the website you would think they were advisers to ICI. Website was impressive though.
I'm not saying Mr Reynolds company is like this but try doing a search with Company Check, look at the company assets and value then sniff deeply. Oh and he isn't listed as a director.

Actually I really enjoyed watching Kit car crisis and Mr Reynolds is not alone, many, many build projects get sold as incomplete because people dont have the knowledge, time or skill required to complete them.
Its not easy for everyone to complete a kit car build and I thought the programmes inclusion of the projects problems and eventual failure was honest and refreshing
Sorry if somone lost out but business involves taking risks and the benefits had it turned out different could have been huge.
It would be sad if no similar programmes were made because this one "failed"

Confused but excited.

posted on 7/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
"Education Bristol Old Vic Theatre School".
Now it all becomes clear.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

fifty50

posted on 8/7/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994

Its so easy to produce "over blown" websites, just read them with a cynical mind and the smell of virtual bullshit soon comes through. The clues are usually there such as long and impressive descriptive sentences with the use of multple adjectives that actually say very little. Location address' that is either domestic or small startup unit.
I recently came across an International business consultancy company claiming to have teams located round the world involved in major events organisation. No vat registration number, working out of the owners parents house and a quick check with COMPANY CHECK website (free) showed no turnover and £9.00 worth of company assets. Reading the website you would think they were advisers to ICI. Website was impressive though.
I'm not saying Mr Reynolds company is like this but try doing a search with Company Check, look at the company assets and value then sniff deeply. Oh and he isn't listed as a director.

Actually I really enjoyed watching Kit car crisis and Mr Reynolds is not alone, many, many build projects get sold as incomplete because people dont have the knowledge, time or skill required to complete them.
Its not easy for everyone to complete a kit car build and I thought the programmes inclusion of the projects problems and eventual failure was honest and refreshing
Sorry if somone lost out but business involves taking risks and the benefits had it turned out different could have been huge.
It would be sad if no similar programmes were made because this one "failed"

Fifty50; I agree with everything you said, I also think these programes are entertaining and I have to admit i enjoy watching these types of programes, My problem was never with Discovery or Skibley the production company, It was MR who spun everything and didnt have the cash to pay for things and, his cash sponsers (if he ever really had one, never came through), also if he hadn't spat his dummy out the final part of the series would have gone ahead, the car would have got finished and however he perfored on track I think we would have come out of the programe looking OK

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.