Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Possible speeding incident
roadrunner

posted on 2/7/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Possible speeding incident

Over the weekend I took misses shopping.
I may have been travelling down a road, possibly behind another car doing less than 25mph.
Now I don't really travel down this supposed road, and when I got fed up with tother car doing less than 25mph, I decided to pass.
While possibly passing theoretical car, my wife mentioned that I have just been flashed.
Checked mirrors, and yes. a bright yellow box behind me.
What are my possible chances.
If their where a police car there, it wouldn't of been an issue. But cameras have no reasoning's, just black and white.
Because two cars are side by side , is there a slim chance nothing will come of it.

Someone else.

deezee

posted on 2/7/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, it depends I guess. My mate got gripped over taking a caravan in North Wales. He did 65 in a 50 and was done by a camera van. The police said that he shouldn't have exceeded the speed limit to over take the car, when he argued with them.

designer

posted on 2/7/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I may have been travelling down a road, possibly behind another car doing less than 25mph.

If you only 'could have' been going down a road, and only 'possibly' behind another car there would be no problem! The problem is what was what sort of 'zone' it was, any speed limit and were you allowed to overtake?

It's immaterial what speed the car you overtake is going.

It's a wait and see.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 2/7/12 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Over the weekend I took misses shopping.
Now I don't really travel down this supposed road, and when I got fed up with tother car doing less than 25mph, I decided to pass.
While possibly passing theoretical car, my wife mentioned that I have just been flashed.
Checked mirrors, and yes. a bright yellow box behind me.
What are my possible chances.
If their where a police car there, it wouldn't of been an issue. But cameras have no reasoning's, just black and white.
Because two cars are side by side , is there a slim chance nothing will come of it.

Someone else.

Dont quite get what you asking here?
The chances of nothign happening will be down to if the camera had film, as they often still flash once empty.

Other than that there is no arguing on 'if' you were speeding, if it flashed you were speeding.

It takes two pictures so they will know which car set it off, the one that traveled further.

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 2/7/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Did it hypothetically flash once or twice? Once means it's alive but run out of film generally.

2nd point is a cop would have pulled you too as your'e not allowed to break the speed limit to overtake, if you're overtaking it's because the person in front is travelling below the limit of course.

As above, the lines on the road confirm which car was speeding. And the fact that you were the outside car....?

[Edited on 2/7/12 by coyoteboy]

r1_pete

posted on 2/7/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
All you can do is wait the 14 days and see if a NIP arrives in the post, they get them out quickly so you're fairly safe after 8 - 10 days.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vanepico

posted on 2/7/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i think as long as you don't receive a letter in 14 days they can't do anything, i looked it up after i had a close call
blakep82

posted on 2/7/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
erm, don't break the limit?
you might be lucky, your number plate might have been hidden by the slower car, you never know

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bi22le

posted on 2/7/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
erm, don't break the limit?
you might be lucky, your number plate might have been hidden by the slower car, you never know

More chance of getting away if the lines are in the middle and obstructed by the other car.

I take it the camera was facing the back of your car not the front?

If it faced your front your chances of getting away with it are increased.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jacko

posted on 2/7/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Brad you are a BAD LAD start saving or blame the WIFE
Graham

ditchlewis

posted on 2/7/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
i heard this but cannot vouch for it..

if you get a fine and points, say £50 you send them a cheque for £51.

they then send you a cheque for £1, when you get it you DO NOT cash it keep or destroy it. the Dvla computer system will be waiting for the cheque to clear before issuing the points and closing the case down. if the cheque is not cashed the system will not issue the points.

might not work but for a quid it might be worth a try.

ditch

vanepico

posted on 3/7/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
i heard this but cannot vouch for it..

if you get a fine and points, say £50 you send them a cheque for £51.

they then send you a cheque for £1, when you get it you DO NOT cash it keep or destroy it. the Dvla computer system will be waiting for the cheque to clear before issuing the points and closing the case down. if the cheque is not cashed the system will not issue the points.

might not work but for a quid it might be worth a try.

ditch

If I ever get caught I might have to try that! I'm still in my first few years so it could save me

David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a first offence, and not *too* far over the limit they'll probably offer you a speed awareness course. Costs more than the fine (abt £85) but you don't get points and the insurance company doesn't get told (the police don't tell them, and you don't have to either).

How do I know all this? I did one last week!

bi22le

posted on 3/7/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
If it's a first offence, and not *too* far over the limit they'll probably offer you a speed awareness course. Costs more than the fine (abt £85) but you don't get points and the insurance company doesn't get told (the police don't tell them, and you don't have to either).

How do I know all this? I did one last week!

Did they feed you full of lies the same as me? Tried to tell me that stopping distances have not improved and the roads are as dangerous now as ever! After a little debate i had to walk away biting my tongue.

I didn't speed or get caught because im stupid. You caught me breaking a predefined out of date law because its now a good source of income and an easy thing to do. If it was due to road saftey why not put dangerous condition signs up instead of hiding behind bushes?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Many speed limits are stupid - I can quote several examples around Ipswich - but it's the law.

I had no excuse... coming off the Severn bridge heading towards Wales, the speed limit reduces to 50mph to slow people down before the toll gates (there's a bit of a bend, and you sometimes get queues). There are great big signs, I knew there's a reduced limit, my satnav warned of a possible mobile speed camera and told me the speed I should be doing. Instead of slowing down before the signs I just lifted off and coasted. Came round the corner and there was the camera van, on a bridge. Got me doing 59.

No-one to blame but me...

coyoteboy

posted on 3/7/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, if you're caught speeding it's generally because you were not observant enough to see the van/camera, in which case you're probably not observant enough to see a kid run out or another driver make a mistake. Not high-horse riding, I'm sure I will eventually get done too, jus stating a fact. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
That doesn't apply in my case - there's a gentle bend just before the Severn Bridge tolls, and the camera spotted me just as I spotted him... basically, if you can see the van then they can get you (and probably have, if you're speeding).

roadrunner

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
BUSTED
I either pay the £60 fine or take the improvement course.
It looks like I will have to keep gob shut and swallow Humble Pie.
Brad.

geoff shep

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The letter is not a conviction, it is a charge - which you can admit, or challenge in court. The course is offered in place of the charge so take it and the charge is dropped - you can then legitimately say that you have no convictions. Otherwise, at next renewal you will have to admit to a driving conviction.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
BUSTED
I either pay the £60 fine or take the improvement course.
It looks like I will have to keep gob shut and swallow Humble Pie.
Brad.

The course isn't so bad... there's a certain amount of male bovine droppings, but I did learn a bit too.

It's only 4 hours long - and it's quite entertaining watching people trying to justify why they were speeding!

caber

posted on 6/7/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I got done by a camera van I didn't see while overtaking a truck on a dual carriageway. NIP did not arrive at all I got a letter around 3 weeks after asking why I had not responded to NIP . When I complained that I did not get NIP in due time I was told it doesn't matter as they have proof of posting which court will accept as due service even though it is not sent recorded delivery! It seems they have got around having to do things in the legally required time!

Aargh Caber

coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/12 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd take that one to court caber - zero proof you ever even saw it and had no chance to argue it or say who was driving if not you. That's nonsense to try to scare you off.

Same way they scare you into taking 3/£60 rather than trying to fight it in court by increasing the possible damage more points and fine if you don't win. Don't contest it, keep quiet like a good boy, don't cause us trouble and possibly prove us wrong and you only get a light spanking, cause trouble and we'll risk your license.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.