Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol Station Forecourt Etiquette
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 6/7/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol Station Forecourt Etiquette

Am I the only one that get annoyed when people form one long line when queuing for the pumps?

My theory is pause, have a quick look at who is filling/paying, just parking etc, pick a pump and queue behind it.

Sometimes you win sometimes you get behind someone who is buying half the shop as well as fuel and you lose.

Mini rant over...
Rich

loggyboy

posted on 6/7/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
No I think all queues (where possible) should be a single line to multiple serving points.

Mistral Motorsport

owelly

posted on 6/7/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think folks who park at a pump, then spend 20minutes shopping before they pay should be killed to death. Twice....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I leave it while it's late and use one of those Card pumps, that way I don't have to speak to anyone

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Why does no one ever pull up on the 'wrong' side?
I am forever jumping non-moving queues as people always want to use the pump on the filler side.
The 'evils' I get when doing that.

I was once at a busy forecourt with a mate. He owed me a favour so he was going to pay for my fuel. I filled up, he went inside to pay but was taking ages. Person behind me got out, knocked on my window and asked why I was not moving. I explained I was waiting for my friend to pay.
The person at my window then insisted I move as the computer systems they have would allow them to fill up BEFORE my mate had paid for me.
I said it doesn't work like that but if you want I will move over.
I moved and then watched smiling as the person tried unsuccessfully to fill up. It took almost 5 minutes before my mate could pay and he got back to my car before the pump kicked in.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

BigLee

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I find near me, everyone is waiting for the right-hand pumps, so I go straight to the empty left-hand one and drag it around the back of the car (with a smug grin on my face)
bartonp

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
MY filler is on the nearside.... (UK!)
gazza285

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
You should try leaving the motorway, driving all the way round the services road, joining the que, only to find that when you eventually get to the far distant corner of the forecourt that there is no LPG again...

All part of the fun driving up the M40 from Heathrow.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

morcus

posted on 6/7/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with you on this one. Most of my regular places to buy fuel I have to turn right to get into on my normal routes and you always get a sittuation when it's busy where your stuck across the road because people forming a single queue have blocked the entrance and when it does move someone coming the otherway will fill up the space and do the same thing. The problem with people using the wrong side pump is I alsways get stuck behind the person who can't park close enough to the pump and is halfway across to the other pump so you can't get through. That leads me to the worst offenders in my book, people who feel the need to drive around you to the pump infront when you've just got in the car to set off, I've had people do this to me with the engine running, and in some cases when I was actually moving.

It's only petrol this applies to, at a counter situation you should form one queue unless there are seperate queuing spaces marked out, and you deffinitly shouldn't stand next to someone who is currently being served or everyone will assume your being seen to and ignor you.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

ChrisW

posted on 6/7/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
I find near me, everyone is waiting for the right-hand pumps, so I go straight to the empty left-hand one and drag it around the back of the car (with a smug grin on my face)

Those of us with big cars can't do that though, not without risking scratches anyway.

My solution is to reverse in. That usually confuses people... until they realise what I'm up to and that I've just dodged the que for the 'other side' pump!

Chris

My gaff my rules

jimmyjoebob

posted on 6/7/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
You can start filling from a pump before the last transaction has been paid. It all depends if the till operator authorises the next pump use. If it's busy they might not notice immediately.

Agreed about the LPG at services. It also annoys me that Morrisons insists on placing LPG fillers inbetween normal pumps so you have to block a whole filling island to use it. Then you notice the single LPG filler is being used on the other side...

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

Slimy38

posted on 6/7/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm forever using the 'wrong side' pump, and if there is any queue it usually means I'm skipping past it. In some cases I've seen other cars follow my lead once they realise what I'm doing. Some lines have been a bit tight (the shoulder height ones that wind out are usually the shortest) but if its an overhead line then its long enough to get both sides of any car.

Except for 4x4's, but they deserve to queue anyway...

I've also been asked to move on once I filled up, but the thought of moving away from a pump without paying is just asking for non-payment trouble. So I don't move.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/7/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I was once at a busy forecourt with a mate. He owed me a favour so he was going to pay for my fuel. I filled up, he went inside to pay but was taking ages. Person behind me got out, knocked on my window and asked why I was not moving. I explained I was waiting for my friend to pay.
The person at my window then insisted I move as the computer systems they have would allow them to fill up BEFORE my mate had paid for me.
I said it doesn't work like that but if you want I will move over.
I moved and then watched smiling as the person tried unsuccessfully to fill up. It took almost 5 minutes before my mate could pay and he got back to my car before the pump kicked in.

This is purely down to the numpty behind the till; the systems will typically allow them to queue up multiple transactions on the pump. It's quite acceptable (and greatly improves throughput at the forecourt) to fill up and then drive into a parking area (if it exists) so the next person can start filling whilst you are paying.

minitici

posted on 6/7/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I see that Shell are reintroducing pump attendants (at selected forecourts).

Linky

martinq357

posted on 6/7/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I think folks who park at a pump, then spend 20minutes shopping before they pay should be killed to death. Twice....

Lost my cool with a bloke buying coffee once, he really didn't seem to understand how selfish he was being, wasn't just me he was holding up either...

mark chandler

posted on 6/7/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
killed to death. Twice....

Is there another type

morcus

posted on 6/7/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
My mates always going on about taxi drivers at the 24 hour BP who apparantly buy their fuel and then stop for a cup of coffee and a chat with each other, but don't move their cars.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

nick205

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
I leave it while it's late and use one of those Card pumps, that way I don't have to speak to anyone

Ditto, I usually nip out before bed and fill up when it's quiet and get the milk etc.

Path of least resistance and all that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.