Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi A3 Oil pressure problem???
kickinthenuts

posted on 13/7/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Audi A3 Oil pressure problem???

Hi guys,

I have got an audi A3 1.8T with the oil warning light on. Got a lot of top end noise so I'm guessing oil pump has gone and obviously don't want to damage the turbo or big end through oil starvation. Just wondering if anyone has ever done one and how hard it is to do. Do i need to lock of any pulleys or anything like that. As always, any help would be appreciated.

britishtrident

posted on 13/7/12 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
My guess would be either the oil pressure relief valve stuck oil pump drive knackered, big end failure or a problem with the oil pump suction pipe and strainer.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

kickinthenuts

posted on 13/7/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. i'll need to get the bottom end opened up and see what the problem is. Don't think its the PRV as the light came on and there was no noise from the top end and now there is. think the pump has had it.

Cheers

David

rusty nuts

posted on 13/7/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Some of the Audi engines have the oil pump driven by a chain and sprockets which wear badly and slip causing lack of oil pressure . New chains and sprockets are no longer available because the pump has been modified to be driven by gears . IIRC the cost is in the region of £800?
Mad Dave

posted on 13/7/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had an A6 with a 1.8T engine it destroyed itself due to a blocked oil pipe. It's a metal pipe with a 90 degree welded mitre joint and it blocks because it's not a continuous bent pipe. Apparently it's a common problem in these engines

[Edited on 13/7/12 by Mad Dave]

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 13/7/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
The older golf gti's used to suffer from blocked oil strainers so wouldn't be surprised if these do to. Whip off the sump clean strainer and bobs your uncle all good again.

[Edited on 13/7/12 by CRAIGR]

GOJO

posted on 13/7/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
90% sure it will be the oil strainer pipe, usual fix is a pump and strainer and the o ring that join the two!, if it has been stopped quickly it should be ok 1st thing to seize is the turbo check the nut on the impellor is still there and that it spins feely and take the rocker cover off and check the shells in the bearing caps when the sumps off check a couple of main bearings, it shud b ok if the turbo is ok and the top end it should be fine, the turbo feed line can carbon up on those also worth cleaning though or replacing
deltron63

posted on 13/7/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Blocked oil pick up and strainer. Mine did the same the other week, sump off clean everything it might be OK. Iv'e had no problems since
brookie

posted on 14/7/12 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
Blocked oil pick up and strainer. Mine did the same the other week, sump off clean everything it might be OK. Iv'e had no problems since

my sister had this problem and it ended up being the above shad had a a4 1.8t engine so the same engine it not a small job as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.