Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V8 engine wire diagram?
coozer

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
V8 engine wire diagram?

I'm in need of a wiring diagram for the engine harness that came with my 3.9 RV8, zf 4 speed auto..

All the loom seems to be there along with the ecu although its all unplugged... and, its mated to an auto so there's wiring there as well

Which resource is best for this, haynes, book or even as a download?

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Westy1994

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
There are quite a few on google images, depends if you need specific details about one device?
coozer

posted on 17/7/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just need to know where all the plugs go to try and start it for the first time

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

wilkingj

posted on 17/7/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Identify exactly which year and vehicle its off. I think there are two or three different systems.
Then start looking at what goes where.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 18/7/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ok chaps, it appears its all still plugged in, the bloke I got it off said it was a 4 wire hook up...

Not sure of the year, I believe it was in a Range Rover originally but I got it out of a 90 the bloke was converting to TD5...

ECU is dated 12/90, the air flow meter is dated 1994...

There are some bare wires near the relays... and a couple of plugs.

I presume this extension was for the 90.. is it the main feeds? Theres a lot of wires...

And some bare ones here as well..

Is the brown live and black earth here the same as Ford?

Is this a tune up, or repair?

Thanks,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rincewind23

posted on 25/7/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, brown is live and black is earth. I've just been playing with a similar/the same ECU and v8 from a 1990 Disco. I have all the wiring worked out now (I think). I connected it all back up to the original (or same replacement of original) parts. I've got the wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide on the computer in the garage, so trace back the connectors that you want to know where they go and let us know the pin numbers on the ECU - you'll have to undo the shroud on the loom where it goes into the black box.

I've been looking at about three or four diagrams that I found searching around, and although the wire colours in the diagrams sometimes change, the pins always go to the same components (so far!)

Cheers,
KEv.

shaft

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got some data on PDF somewhere, let me have an email address and i'll dig it out for you. (from somewhere?) lol.

Also, on the 14CUX set up, if you have a look in the harness near the ECU plug, you'll find an inline resistor.
This tells the ECU which of it's pre programmed maps to use. From memory, a white one is non Lambda and the green
one is Lambda. Others where fitted, but mainly for the US / Australian markets.

It's a fairly simple affair due to it not being a multi point injection set up.

HTH,

Nick.

Edit:- Found it, all 80 pages of Genuine Landrover 14CUX manual.
It's a 6mb file.

[Edited on 25/7/12 by shaft]

my opinion might be wrong you know...

My Zero Build Pics

coozer

posted on 26/7/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shaft

It's a fairly simple affair due to it not being a multi point injection set up.

Thanks Nick, not sure waht you mean there 'not being a multi point injection'. Mine has 8 injectors bit no wiring or hardware for lambda sensors..

Thinking out loud, how to confirm year of engine manufacture?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AdamR

posted on 26/7/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's def multi-point as said - but it's batch fired (i.e. all injectors squirt at once) rather than sequential.
AdamR

posted on 26/7/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Thinking out loud, how to confirm year of engine manufacture?

I wrote to a guy at Land Rover, and then followed up with a phone call. He told me the date of manufacture and sent me a letter to confirm. Will try and dig out the chap's details for you, but no idea if he's still around as this was a few years ago.

I was lucky as my engine has the best combination of bits (interim timing cover with decent oil pump and serpentine belt), and was manufactured early '95, so just old enough to get the easier emissions regs!

shaft

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, sorry.... Lost in translation due to me using crap terminology.
It is multipoint, as in 8 injectors, but not sequential as mentioned above.

I believe it fires the injectors in two banks of four, I.e... 1,3,5,7 & 2,4,6,8.

The first 3 digits should give you the year. E.g... 36D.

To distinguish between Serp and non Serp, other than the belt, (could of acquired a different timing cover) there will be a
Suffix "B" after the engine number.

As it got 10 or 14 bolt heads?

The PDF document I have gives all workshop info on it, electrical and mechanical.

My Zero Build Pics

coozer

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, is there any benefit to junking this ECU and using Megasquirt? I fully intend to coil pack it using a Edis8 and will be using my spare MS for that, is there any benefit (mpg eg?) to going the whole hog???

Engine number does go 36D0****A Searching through up a post 88 RR EFI Auto. Comp R is 9.35/1 Not sure how many head bolts but I can see 9 along the bottom under the spark plugs... cant imagine there's only one more under the cam cover??

Only thing is the more I look at it the more newer it looks if you know what I mean. Underneath all the dust it looks clean and factory looking..

[Edited on 26/7/12 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

shaft

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
If your going coilpack, then I'd definitely go MS over standard otherwise you'll be having a nightmare trying to get
the 14cux running the packs. (if its even possible?). Getting rid of the notoriously bad Rover V8 dizzy is always
going to be a good move anyway.

36D, suffix A is a non serpentine from either a 93/94 Rangerover or a 94/95 Discovery Auto. ( manual was 35D).
Headbolts.... Look between the spark plugs, if you see four 5/8th A/f bolt heads then you have 14 bolt heads.
If so and your rebuilding it, ignore the torque values for these four bolts when refitting the heads.

HTH,
Nick.

My Zero Build Pics

coozer

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Nick, got no intentions of a re-build, not even looking under the covers! These things are cheap enough to be throw way IMO. However, if it runs OK, has good compression across the cylinders I may go down the full MS ugraded cam and duplex route.

This is my second one and if its no good I'll be looking over the pond for a Chevy or Ford 5.0/5.7

Is it possible to upload the file somewhere I can download it by any chance

Thanks,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

shaft

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
U2U me your email and I can attach it as a zip file when I get home from work.

I'm just building a Serp 3.9 with piper 285 cam, duplex timing, stage 3 heads, megajolt etc...

Have a butcher's at the album in my build pics. (link below in Sig)

My Zero Build Pics

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.