Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holy S**t
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 18/7/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Holy S**t

Im sitting here stunned, I applied for a job last month on the web "on the off chance" but not really expecting to hear anything back.

I get a call on Monday, asking me for a skype interview Yesterday....

Today I get a call offering me the bloody job... and asking how soon I can sign the paperwork for the sponsorship visa to Australia !!!! they Want me to start by the end of next month.

I am prepared to go and all, just so fast and unexpected as I didnt think I had a hope in hell of getting the job.

So fingers crossed im of to Oz (near Perth) by the end next month. So much to do, so little bloody time to do it.

Anyone know the process that is required to go through the employment visa process to get there (employer is handling it all) I just want to know the process.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

owelly

posted on 18/7/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well done and congratulations!
<<sensible head on>> make sure the employer doesn't want any money from you to 'process the Visa, etc'. <<sensible head off>>.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Cracking!

Things like that are best done fast rather than give yourself time to change your mind

Neville Jones

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Do your homework fully on the employer before jumping.

And Perth isn't Australia, it's a city in the far west corner of the continent, that's a good few thousand miles from anywhere. Like living on an island, surrounded by desert/scrub. Cost of living is higher than UK nowdays, but the wages are much much higher in real terms, and housing on the fringes is relatively cheap.

I was in Fremantle way back for the America's Cup, and it was faster and cheaper to air freight spares from California, than to get them from Sydney. Still the same so I'm told.

Good luck, and look out for the Great Whites.

Cheers,
Nev.

I predict a Riot

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Go for it...

Had the chance way back....

Didn't do it..... let family talk me out of it.

Always regretted it.......

As land Rover says... 'One Life Live It'

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

scudderfish

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I did something similar back in 1998. The paperwork took some time as the company in Aus had to prove to the Aus government that there was no one in Aus who could do the job first. They may have already cleared that hurdle. I had to get x-rays done to prove I didn't have TB. I spent quite a few hours in Australia House in London whilst it was all processed. Get on the Aus government website, there should be a load of info there as to what paperwork needs to be done.

Congrats BTW!

steve m

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe its me being over cautous, but why would company use skype?

just me !!

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Well done and congratulations!
<<sensible head on>> make sure the employer doesn't want any money from you to 'process the Visa, etc'. <<sensible head off>>.

Thanks for that, and you are correct, I am worried it might be a scam, as the "recruitment agency" who set this up is saying there may be "fee's"

the company in OZ exists, as they approached my referee's with their contact details, so i have emailed the company direct, to ask about the job offer from them without the recruitment company being involved, so i can check it out.

better to be safe than sorry

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

wylliezx9r

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Maybe its me being over cautous, but why would company use skype?

just me !!

Well either Skype or fly over to Australia for an interview, daaaaa ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Irony

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of companies do phone or Skype interviews these days. My girlfriend has had a few. Saves time in the long run and they already know you either have the ability to set up Skype or at least have the ability to get someone to do it.

Congrats

Steve Hignett

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Congrats mate!!!
(what's it doing?)

scootz

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Cool!

It's Evolution Baby!

maccmike

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
good on ya mate, enjoy the barbies with all the sheilas
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 18/7/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
It a job as a Agricultural Mech for a "New Holland" dealer.

BBQ's yes Shelia's No, would be taking my other half.

twybrow

posted on 18/7/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Lots of companies do phone or Skype interviews these days. My girlfriend has had a few. Saves time in the long run and they already know you either have the ability to set up Skype or at least have the ability to get someone to do it.

Congrats

Yep - we do them. 26,000 employees and we use Skype as it is a system that lots of people have access to. Simples.

mcerd1

posted on 18/7/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
It a job as a Agricultural Mech for a "New Holland" dealer.

a few folk my brother worked with went out there once they'd finished there apprenticeships - most never came back
(they all work on the 'green and yellow ones' though )

-

bobinspain

posted on 18/7/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations. Life-changing or what? Fabulous adventure looms. It's all gonna turn to rat droppings in the N. Hemisphere anyway so you'll get some degree of shelter from it down there.

My daughter's just graduated and I'm trying to persuade her to leave Spain and get herself to Aus'.

Nev's comment re' the size of the place rings true. I flew over the place W. to E. first time in '75 as aircrew. 480kts and 4 hours after 'coasting in,' we were still flogging over brown, parched uninhabited land, (less than 15% of the population live more than 30 miles from the coast). The VC10 captain turned to me and said, "That's why it's known as the GAFA Bob. Short for Great Australian Fork All."

"Revel in your time." (Blade Runner).

daviep

posted on 18/7/12 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 18/7/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BEJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Its like bloody buses !!

just been offered a job with an oil company in Aberdeen, to train in their workshop then to go offshore after I'm up to speed on their equipment, wanting me to start with them on Monday !!! FFS

oh my brain is on fire with what to do now.....

scootz

posted on 18/7/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Oz or the Deen??? Oz every time!

It's Evolution Baby!

daviep

posted on 18/7/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
BEJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Its like bloody buses !!

just been offered a job with an oil company in Aberdeen, to train in their workshop then to go offshore after I'm up to speed on their equipment, wanting me to start with them on Monday !!! FFS

oh my brain is on fire with what to do now.....

Who is that with?

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

mookaloid

posted on 18/7/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one - or should I say nice two?

If you decide to go to Oz look up RichardK he is in Perth nowadays.

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

bobinspain

posted on 18/7/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
What you do now, (simplistically) I would venture to suggest is to decide whether you want just a new job, or a new life and a new job.

Before upping sticks from Blighty and moving to Spain 11 years ago, we made a list of what we wanted from life, new house, new location, anything, even a new car. You make two lists, 'Essentail criteria,' 'Desirable criteria,' (Naturally, there may be absolute 'dealbreakers' etc, but all can be accommodated in your two lists.
With the villa we eventually bought, it ticked every 'essential' box and missed out on one 'desirable:' walking distance to a bar!
All other considerations were met, (including schooling for our (then) 2 young children.

Nice to be able to chose though eh? Great position to be in.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 18/7/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain

Nice to be able to chose though eh? Great position to be in.

yes it is, But its been a stressful week to say the least...........

I walked from my job Here in Ireland a week past Monday, because

A, the boss was a knob.

B, the boss was a knob

C, the boss was a knob

Mainly because I was asked (then told) to "bodge" a safety critical item on a HGV, which met with extreme dirty looks when I said NO im not putting my name to that, then when told "you have to do it" I said you can shove your job where the sun dont shine......

I used to work offshore before, so i know the job, but i grew up on farms and all things mechanical, so either job is ok, as everyone says i must sit down with the missus and decide.

I must thank everyone for their input.

cheers

Dusty

posted on 18/7/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oz is a different world. I get three months there every other winter with my little sister. Her partner repairs heavy plant, mostly very big hydraulic things. He works by himself, works hard and makes a bomb. The Perth working culture is loads of small independents. If you are good, fast, effective then all is well.
The life style is outdoors in the garden or the beach. Kids love it. While I'm loafing on Trigg beach after having a surf there is a succession of school classes coming down for surf lessons. So maths 8.00, english 8.45, surfing 10.15.
Weather is hot for the summer. 30 - 40 for about 4 months and last time I was there we had rain on two days out of 90. Winters can be cool at night, wet but also 20+ some days.
This has pluses and minuses. Last autumn Brett phoned my sis and asked her to charter a flight asap to Caiguna on the Nullabor to go repair a tractor unit. They were there 500 miles plus later that day, fixed the unit in 40+ heat and flew back the same evening. Worth it for the company with a broken unit and a load worth six figures that would spoil. Hard for Brett. Great for little Sis, fun trip. Super great for the bank balance. Just remember to take all your spanners!
Aberdeen? Sure.

[Edited on 18/7/12 by Dusty]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.