Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horizon last night - eating less for better health
twybrow

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

It would be interesting for others to try this NHS site, as ALL of us will be OBESE!!!

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

22.22 for me...

SeanStone

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
As the guy said. This isn't necessarily about living longer. This is about enjoying being healthy for longer.

The reason there is a problem with an ageing population is because of conditions such as dementia, cancer, heart problems etc. If these were less prevalent, then there would be no reason why there couldn't be a larger, older but more healthy populous.

Surely being healthy on your short time here is better than a few extra ginsters sausage rolls?

I'm 24 and I plan to do the 2 day a week fasting after watching this. I'm overweight according to the link, however that doesn't take into account muscle mass (i go to the gym).

Still, the health benefits seem unquestionable, but each to their own!

ReMan

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:

It would be interesting for others to try this NHS site, as ALL of us will be OBESE!!!

22.22 for me...

Too frightened to look for me

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

JoelP

posted on 7/8/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I'm not really convinced that living longer is a good thing. Overpopulation, later retirement, unemployment, stress on health services, increased poverty caused by pension issues etc. are all major issues caused by our increased lifespan.

Yup!

Many say that, but i dont see as many volunteering for an early grave! What is the solution? Myself, im quite happy living as long as my health holds out, be that 50 or 500 years.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got a link to this prog?

ashg

posted on 7/8/12 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
its on bbc iplayer

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

John Bonnett

posted on 8/8/12 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Anyone got a link to this prog?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxf

Jasper

posted on 8/8/12 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, a lot of people are getting this confused with either living longer or loosing weight. The emphasis with this regime is about living healthier for longer and not getting various diseases.

Well, first day for me yesterday and I have to say it was quite easy except when I got home from work for about 2 hours. But as he said in the programme the hunger pangs do subside, and by 7pm last night I was not thinking of food at all. I expected to wake up hungry this morning but didn't, in fact I was less hungry than usual. So just on the basis of a single fast day I would say that was easily maintainable.

The great thing with this is you're not thinking about food all the time and calorie counting every day to loose weight or be fitter, just two days a week you eat much less and I'm sure I'll get used to knowing what makes up a 500 calorie meal.

So it's a big thumbs up here from me, gonna make tomorrow my second day this week and see how that goes

And for me I'd rather watch the programme than read some flippant review about it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

froggy

posted on 8/8/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
my wife works away during the week and im a lazy git when it comes to cooking so from tuesday to friday i have a meal at work then live off fruit and tea plus every evening im in the garage for 4-5 hrs building . lost a stone over a month and feel better plus the next project car is coming along nicely . i did think that i would be on a food bender at the weekend but getting used to less food makes it easier to feel full and the food bill has come down by half too

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

MikeRJ

posted on 8/8/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
There are so many stupid food fads though, and Horizon are renown for making programs that sensationalise otherwise mundane facts and gloss over missing data. They make the odd interesting program, but if you have some reasonable knowledge of the subject you will almost certainly spot some gaping chasms in the claims and arguments put forward.

Moderation in the things you eat and drink, and regular exercise will always be better than following fads.

JoelP

posted on 8/8/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Moderation in the things you eat and drink, and regular exercise will always be better than following fads.

I would agree that some excercise is a good idea, and avoid the obvious bad foods - basically anything too unnatural, like refined sugars, artificial foods and excess fat, and also gluttony. However, this idea about fasting does sound plausible to me, is easily done, and as an additional benefit, saves money on food!

It often occurs to me how different our modern diet is from what we evolved eating - unprocessed food in regular small portions, not 3 big meals followed by pudding and coffee. Seeing as our bodies have evolved to resist diseases including cancer, it does seem sensible to keep conditions the same.

I might even give it a go....

tomorrow or the day after

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/8/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
There was a documentary some time ago where they put a group of people in an ape house in a zoo, and fed them the same food as they gave to apes - mostly raw fruit and veg. The participants didn't find it easy to eat the quantity of food necessary to meet their needs - we've talking about many hours eating every day, and quite a large volume - and they were very happy to get out at the end of the trial (maybe a week or two - can't remember).

The relatively healthy people didn't gain much benefit, but the impressive result was with the overweight people, the ones with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. They showed some weight loss, but a huge improvement in all of those health factors. Most of them went straight out and ate some fried chicken or a burger afterwards though!

Jasper

posted on 9/8/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Guys, your talking about something quite different to what was on the programme.

As I've said before, you really need to see the programme before commenting. It's NOT about dieting, or eating healthily, or exercise, or moderation in all things, or eating raw foods, or any kind of dieting fad.

It's about a very specific thing, fasting, or near fasting, or substantial calorie restriction, and how it actually changes the way the body behaves in a number of very significant ways, one of the main being that it switches the cells from the usually divide, divide, divide to repair instead. It also slows down the degradation of DNA as it divides.

So I would suggest you watch the programme before making up your mind about it.

Jasper

posted on 10/8/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
And for those not sure if the 2 days fast need to be consecutive, they don't, I checked it with the presenter on his Twitter feed.

ReMan

posted on 10/8/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Correct.
I survived my day 1 yesterday on less than 200cal and I feel better already.
Next will be Monday, then wed/thur
As I DO need to lose weight I will combine with a genearl calorie (read beer) reduction as well!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Jasper

posted on 10/8/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, same here, done two days this week and already noticed I'm eating less on the non-fast days and generally feeling very alert and full of energy. Going to start the High Intensity Training next week too, just got to get hold of a second hand exercise bike of GumTree this weekend.

Two things that are easy to do and maintain, yet should improve my health beyond recognition

HowardB

posted on 10/8/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
We as a family have had conversations, over similar issues, and even our Doctor confirmed that the BMI is heavly flawed

I am 5'3 and weigh 11.5 stone, and funnyly enough today, was told that my weight was fine , at Drs
yet the BMI chart has me in the obese area, and obese, i am NOT

(i have lung issues, that require 3 monthly check ups)

Another example of this ridiculous chart, was my Father, who was on deaths door 16 months ago, and in east surrey hospital
for several months, he is now 5'0 tall (was about 5'3) and weighed 6 stone, yet the hospital said he was overweight
what a bleeping joke!! he looked like a corpse, and due their negligence was days away from being one

It was only when we got him eating and drinking, did he survive, and he is now around 9 stone, and only last week was told that another half a stone on, would be ideal, again by his DR

with all due respect to the NHS, that is bollo*

I am 5'11" and 12st4lbs accordingly it says I need to lose over a stone to be in the mid BMI range. I am healthy and fit, can run 10k without any problems, I fit the GRP race seats I have in the kit. My clothes hang on me as it is, the taylors have a field day adjusting stuff to fit me.
Skinnier and I would look like a skeleton,.... BMI stands for Bad Medical Information

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

MikeRJ

posted on 10/8/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
So I would suggest you watch the programme before making up your mind about it.

I've now watched it, and it's exactly what I expected from a Horizon program. Light on science, heavy on stupid music and with numerous artistic camera shots to pad the program out (of trains for some unexplained reason). In fact it's much like Michael Mosleys previous Horizon program where he explained that people only need 3 minutes of vigorous exercise per week to stay fit.

Sadly the BBC, and Horizon in particular, are increasingly peddlers of bad science.

Peteff

posted on 10/8/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly Mike, the Waitrose sandwich and fruit jelly did not help me to take the original post seriously. I'd like to see some results in 6 months time from whoever does follow it through as I cannot manage to go without food all day without becoming light headed and breaking out in shakes even though I am right in the middle of the ideal BMI on the scale.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jasper

posted on 10/8/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
So what part of 100 years of research into calorie reduction and fasting do you see as 'bad science'? This is BBC documentary after all, it's meant to be entertaining as well as informative - otherwise it would be 'Open University'. What would be have had to have done to give you enough 'real science' for you to want to do it? It seemed to me he spent most of the programme talking to recognised experts in the field in well known US universities. And you say you want to see some evidence 6 months down the line - who from? You certainly won't believe it from me or anybody else on Locostbuilders as that would be just circumstantial, not proper research.

I think it's more about the fact that you don't like the idea of sticking to something like this as it takes a little bit of effort. Or the basic dislike of anything new and 'weird', 'new age' or 'hippy'.

I must say I'd rather find out in 5 years time that this has not helped my long term health at all except for being slimmer (which is a great result in itself) than find out in 5 years time that this has loads of peer reviewed research behind it and now I'm 5 years older, fatter and less healthy and other people are 5 years down the line to better long term physical and mental health.

And who said anything about going all day without food - read the posts people - 600 cals a day is two light meals, so no reason to get light-headed.

Each to their own of course - that's why the country is full of overweight and unhealthy people.

[Edited on 10/8/12 by Jasper]

bartonp

posted on 10/8/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
the 'big numbers' studies into life expectancy increases around the great depression years ought to help convince most non-believers.

Phil.

Jasper

posted on 13/8/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Well, first week over and lost 3lb, 1.7 kg - not bad since it didn't even feel like I was trying and have done no more exercise than usual

John Bonnett

posted on 13/8/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Well, first week over and lost 3lb, 1.7 kg - not bad since it didn't even feel like I was trying and have done no more exercise than usual

Well done Jasper; very encouraging. We are starting our two fast days today and tomorrow.

bartonp

posted on 13/8/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Top tip - drink plenty of fluids as you won't be getting as much water from food.
Massive quantities of salad stuff can be had for few calories!

John Bonnett

posted on 24/8/12 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody still on the 5/2 regime?

Nearing the end of the second week now and have lost 6lbs and the increase in energy level is amazing.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.