Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horizon last night - eating less for better health
Hellfire

posted on 7/3/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've ordered the book and am gonna give it a try. I didn't watch the programme on TV and I haven't heard much about it but I find myself intrigued by some of the posts on this thread. I have a sedentary office job and travel 60 miles a day to/from home, eat healthily through the week and play squash at least once a week. Weekends are my downfall, I'll have a few beers on a Friday night and usually a takeaway on Saturday. I don't eat much during the day on weekdays, so reckon I could quite easily do two fasting days per week. This diet seems to fit with my lifestyle, so I figure I've got nothing to lose (other than £4 for the book) and everything to gain if it does indeed work.

Phil

Jasper

posted on 7/3/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Randomly the misses decided to lose the baby weight and wanted to keep motivated so she roped me in. We're on a competitive diet. Every month whoever has lost the most percentage body weight wins. We've been at it two months and i've won both times. Total weight loss is approx 8kg (5 week month and 4 week month) and is now usually around 1%.

This has been done by having 2 weetabix, semi skimmed milk and fake sugar for breakfast. Sandwich (one of the lower calorie ones with either green or amber colours) and crisps for lunch. Then usually having a healthish dinner but making sure what ever I eat I don't have a massive plate full and the food is nearly always home cooked with some sensibility about content (i don't do salad before someone wonders).

I occasionally eat chocolate biscuits. For pancake day we ate 1litre of mix between us and I had butter and mapple syrupe on lots of mine. Had chocolate dessert, melted cheese starter, steak & chips for valentines. Takeaway usually once a week. I also drink lots of tea or water.

I feel hungry some times but remind myself I've eaten a decent amount and will win. I do feel better but i'm carrying nearly 10% less body weight.

Perhaps the reality is we just need to eat less and what we do eat needs to be less processed crap with lots of added bad sugar / fat / salt / don't ask.

That's great for weight loss, but the Intermittent Fasting system is completely different and the weight loss is almost a bi-product, the real long term benefits are the improvements in health, longevity and resistant to various diseases like diabetes, heart disease and a whole load of different cancers, along with dementia. These you only get by not putting any calories in your body for extended periods of time.

Nice one Hellfire, the more the merrier!

[Edited on 7/3/13 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

John Bonnett

posted on 8/3/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
At seventy years old with most of my future behind as you might say, me the possibility of buying time for one last project was too good to miss.

I've been following the Eat, Fast, Live Longer regime now for six months and the benefits to me are incredible. Prior to adopting the diet, I was on medication for high blood pressure and after one month of following the diet, I stopped the tablets and my blood pressure has remained normal ever since. Energy levels have never been higher and I have a feeling of wellbeing and that all is very well in the world.

Now, the last benefits that I really didn't expect are that my asthma has cleared up as well as the arthritis. So, I am medication free and feel twenty years younger.

The regime may not suit everyone but by Jove it has worked for me

Jasper

posted on 8/3/13 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
You're an inspiration John!

As I was completely healthy to start with it's been harder for me to see any health benefits, though I know they're there

John Bonnett

posted on 8/3/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
You're an inspiration John!

As I was completely healthy to start with it's been harder for me to see any health benefits, though I know they're there

Have you noticed an improvement in Zee leetle grey cells Jasper? Too late for me but not for you.

Jasper

posted on 8/3/13 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
It's too hard to say and be subjective I think. I do feel generally better though, more alert, more energy etc.

Today I'm try a new way of doing it they talk about in the book, 24hr fast, dinner time to dinner time. So last night I had a big curry with mates, and have not eaten since then. I'm no more hungry today than if I'd had breakfast this morning, and it means that tonight I can eat normally from 7pm, so don't have to have a low calorie dinner. However I have noticed that I can't eat a big meal after a days fasting, so I'll have a small meal about 7pm, then have some toast/cheese etc later on once that has gone down. I don't know if this will be a regular thing, but I had noticed that when I had a small breakfast I was still getting hungry a couple of hours later anyway, so this way I'm no more hungry but can eat normally tonight.

That's the great thing with this system, you can adapt it to what suits you at any given time/week.

Johneturbo

posted on 8/3/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Me and the Mrs have been on this for about 8 weeks and have to say it's working well.
it was only by chance i heard about this as missed the original programe, it was on BBC breafast i saw somthing about it.

i've gone from 12.5 stone to almost 11.5, plus we had a week away snowboarding so didn't do it that week.

we do mondays and thursdays, and only have one 500 calorie meal during the evening and just drink water during the day.

MikeR

posted on 8/3/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
this is fascinating. normally id put comments like these down to promotional lies. as I 'know' you lot I'm not of that view. love to see the results after 10 years. having said that, really thinking about taking this on now, why wait 10 years?
John Bonnett

posted on 8/3/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
this is fascinating. normally id put comments like these down to promotional lies. as I 'know' you lot I'm not of that view. love to see the results after 10 years. having said that, really thinking about taking this on now, why wait 10 years?

Mike, a friend of mine has approached it scientifically and had his blood levels checked before he commenced the diet. He has just had them checked again, six months in, this last Wednesday. I'm hoping he'll let me know the results when he gets them next week and I will pass them on, with his permission.

John

Jasper

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think something here needs clarifying:

Horizon and Dr Moseley did not come up with the research on the value of fasting to the human body. This research has been ongoing for over 100 years now, it is VERY well known that fasting has all sorts of superb long term health benefits that have been talked about in this thread. Many of these show up in standard blood tests that can be gone by your GP - ones for Diabetes, cholesterol, etc etc. And yes, it is a good idea to have them done before starting to fast then 6 months later. He advocates this in his book.

What Mike Moseley did was to find out how little you actually need to fast to get these benefits. In the past it was thought you at least needed to fast every other day. He showed through blood testing and other medical tests that these benefits can be got through Intermittent Fasting, 2 days a week, 500-600 calories a day. In other words he came up with a system that is doable for most people and yet you get most if not all the already well known benefits from more serious fasting.

So please people, stop claiming that Horizon and the BBC came up with the idea that fasting is great, they didn't, only a way of doing it that we can manage in our daily lives.

designer

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 60.

I do not make any lifestyle allowances, I do what I enjoy.

According to the 'experts' I drink too much (beer, and now wine), eat too much, don't get enough exercise and had, I am told, a 'stressful' job!

I have lived a few more years than Richard Burton, who drank the same volume as I do, but he had Vodka/Whisky, and had a few women while he was playing hard. He died at 53.

I have also lived longer than 'Jim' Fixx, who invented 'jogging' with his Complete book of Running. He lived a healthy lifestyle and dropped dead after a run, at 53 years old!

It's all down to genetics, and living the healthy lifestyle is no guarantee of having a healthy life, or longevity.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

It's all down to genetics, and living the healthy lifestyle is no guarantee of having a healthy life, or longevity.

Do carry on believing this if it makes you feel better about the way you live your life, but it's frankly just not true - like so much else espoused by people on this thread who have no interest in improving the quality and quantity of their lives. If it were all down to genetics we would all be living the same lives as our ancestors were, which is very clearly not the case. Of course there are no guarantees in this world, nobody is saying there is.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have gone from a 46 " waist to a size 32"

I changed my diet and cut out all foods that I can not ascertain their origin.
All processed crap got the boot and I cook everything from scratch.

The health benefits have been huge , I used to have serious issues with asthma .....now gone.
Its done wonders for my mental health as well as well as my joints ect

Last night I was out and had fried fish for a treat ...... Dam heartburn was back like hell

As for this nonsenses of starving for two days ....all you will do is put the body starvation response mode.
When the food does return it gets retained as fat.

Was married to a YoYo dieter seen it first hand..

indykid

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by designer

Do carry on believing this if it makes you feel better about the way you live your life, but it's frankly just not true - like so much else espoused by people on this thread who have no interest in improving the quality and quantity of their lives. If it were all down to genetics we would all be living the same lives as our ancestors were, which is very clearly not the case. Of course there are no guarantees in this world, nobody is saying there is.

I'd be more likely to consider your opinion if you weren't so dismissive of the viewpoint of others. You come across as a very suggestible person, which doesn't make for a very objective test subject, as coyoteboy identified.

For what it's worth, I've been fasting for at least 15 hours every day for the past......15 years. I have my tea at 9pm and don't eat until gone 12 the next day. I can't see the significance of the additional 9 hours if it doesn't matter whether you fast for two consecutive days or not. As for the eat what you want the rest of the week, it smacks of the Brian Butterfield diet. Obviously if you're going to fast for two days a week, you're going to think about what you eat the rest of the week......and we're back to what coyoteboy said.

As it happens, I was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic last year at 26. I could probably get by on 600 calories a day if I messed about with my insulin, but it makes far more sense to just eat sensibly all the time - for me. It hasn't stopped me competing in triathlons. I did my first olympic last year and this year will be my first half iron distance.

Good luck with your regime, all the same.

Volvorsport

posted on 9/3/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
i have crohns disease , surely god wont strike me down twice......

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Jasper

posted on 9/3/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know why I bother posting information on this site, to be called 'very suggestible' is just f*cking rude and you can go f*ck yourself. I take an interest in my life and my health, and when something comes along that is clearly very beneficial I thought it would be good to share it on here. Obviously I was clearly wrong, the vast majority of you just seem happy to stay stuck where you are.

The amount of people who have expressed an opinion without actually understanding what we are talking about is amazing.

I have not posted my opinion on it, just what I have heard and read and experienced myself. If you aren't interested then fine, I really don't give a sh*t. I really don't want to read loads of sad blokes limited views on their lives, you're all welcome to them.

I'm glad a few people have taken the time like I have to look into this properly, not just assumed it was something they already know everything there is to know about. I like to think I'm open-minded, and is just as well, in the 13 years I have been married to my wife she has had two rare and chronic illnesses, both times I went out and found the latest cutting edge treatments, both times this has proved to be a life saver, literally.

coyoteboy

posted on 9/3/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Almost impossible to do a realistic scientific assessment of this, at any level. You can't have a control group of fasters who cruicially don't know they're fasting, and their involvement in a study will have effects on their wellbeing (well proven placebo effect). You'd need to have two totally separate, identical populations where the only difference was the fasting, which is borderline impossible. Anyone you ask about it who is doing it is already convinced of the benefits enough to change their life routine, which makes them a very poor judge of the real result.

As far as I was aware (which clearly won't be up to date as it's not my research field) this had only been /proven/ in animal models and no-one knew if it translated to humans effectively. That was only a year or so ago. I'd be wary, Horizon has a habit of taking the latest murmurings of science and converting it into the next big thing, which never happens.

I personally get massive headaches, visual disturbances and massive mood swings when I miss a meal. Can't see fasting for 2 days helping my quality of life.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by coyoteboy]

Wrong on so many levels. Of course you can do studies on the effects of fasting on humans if they know they are fasting. You can do a whole raft of medical tests on the body to see the effects on fasting, both in the short and long term.

Fasting is one of the most studies area's of medical research, with many many studies both in humans and animals. It's interesting how many people on here have an opinion without even trying it, reading the book or even watching the TV programme!

You can do tests but it doesn't mean the results make sense or are realistic, if the study isn't invisible to the people being tested then there is an effect that you can't quantify or account for in the results. I'm not saying the diet doesn't work, just that it is borderline impossible to make solid judgements from it.

I don't need to try it to look at it logically, I don't need to buy a book someone is hawking to make my own assessment and I'm pretty well used to developing test strategies and reading scientific studies and drawing conclusions (10 years in academic research). My mind is plenty open enough to accept, just not far enough that my brain falls out. :-)

Peteff

posted on 10/3/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JasperHe found out that reducing calories just 2 days a week gives you nearly all the huge benefits of doing it everyday. So any two days a week you eat just 500 calories, about equal to a regular sandwich and a piece of fruit.

So this morning I have started - went to Waitrose and got a sandwich a fruit jelly for lunch- total of 500 calories and that will be it for the day.

Sorry Jasper, I couldn't take the first post seriously when it included the Waitrose sandwich and a fruit jelly meal. I've had my share of serious illnesses and always sought the experience of medical professionals rather than look for cures for myself, tuberculosis and cancer are best left to modern science I think. I don't count calories but I like to think I eat sensibly not take away or processed food and my wife does like cooking and trying recipes for different types of meals. She gave me a link to a site in her favourites which we have used a few times and it has 5:2 diet recipes which we have used. The meals on it are good, real food you can eat and feel like you have had a meal for the day and still have calories left to eat again when you feel hungry. Link to 5:2 diet recipe site.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't the other option to the 5:2 being every other day?

Has anyone tried that?

Also is there anything about it having to be the same two days each week? My major eating problem is through work-related boredom (was 14 stone when I started security 4 years ago, now just under 19)

RK

posted on 10/3/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Your looking at it all wrong. The obvious solution to our western fatness is to get taller, not thinner.
DarrenW

posted on 11/3/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
The idea of fasting is big part of the Primal Blueprint lifestyle iam following. The Mark Sisson books are well worth a read.

I find the PB lifestyle easier than Paleo as its not quite as strict. The fasting doesn't need to be full days or a regimented same time each week. Think what it would have Been like to live before the agricultural era. Some days there would be loads to eat off the trees and bushes, others an animal would be caught. Some days very little. On every day - no grains or processed foods. The theory is that as humans our dietary requirements haven't evolved that much and we are causing our own problems by over producing foods that we were never designed to eat in the first place.

How long would an average family car last if run on ethanol and driven flat out every day compared to its design life?

If you go even deeper into the exercise part of these lifestyles, it all gets a whole lot more interesting, and far easier than you will think...............

[Edited on 11/3/13 by DarrenW]

Jasper

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote

Sorry Jasper, I couldn't take the first post seriously when it included the Waitrose sandwich and a fruit jelly meal. I've had my share of serious illnesses and always sought the experience of medical professionals rather than look for cures for myself, tuberculosis and cancer are best left to modern science I think. I don't count calories but I like to think I eat sensibly not take away or processed food and my wife does like cooking and trying recipes for different types of meals. She gave me a link to a site in her favourites which we have used a few times and it has 5:2 diet recipes which we have used. The meals on it are good, real food you can eat and feel like you have had a meal for the day and still have calories left to eat again when you feel hungry. Link to 5:2 diet recipe site.

I'm sure you're right with things like cancer etc, I would be the same for sure. My wife had and has chronic inflammatory disease problems, these tend to have left the regular medical establishment baffled for years, things like Sarcoidosis, Lymes Disease etc, which up till now they just 'treated' with steroids. In this case there are some cutting edge new developments that have not filtered down to GP's yet (but have been endorsed by the US FDA). Cheers for the recipe links, I'll take a look at those.

And yes, you can do every other day - but what Mike Mosley found was that was a bit hard to stick to (physically harder and much more difficult to integrate into our normal lives), and he would have had to eat a lot of calories on the eating days to keep his weight ok. Eating the 5:2 way gave the same benefits. They have been researching this for some time now, they looked at two groups, one who ate really high calorie 'funk' food on eating days, the other ate healthily on their eating days, both groups ate nothing on they're fasting days. Interestingly after do this for an extending period both groups had all the same benefits for the fasting - it didn't seem to matter how you ate on the eating days which just goes against everything you think would be right.

And no, you can switch the days around, that's why it works so well and is so flexible, you just do it when it suits you. I know I eat more when I'm bored, I always fast on week days when I'm (hopefully!) busy at work.

And they talk about how we used to eat in the book, the feast and fame way of hunter gatherers, it's what our bodies were designed for - not the continuous grazing that so many of us do now.

Please excuse my outburst before, everyone has they're own opinion of course, I just don't see the point of chipping in to a discussion without actually properly understand what is being discussed and adding something constructive. I just shared all this on here as I thought it might benefit some of you chaps as it's already benefited me

DarrenW

posted on 11/3/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And they talk about how we used to eat in the book, the feast and fame way of hunter gatherers, it's what our bodies were designed for - not the continuous grazing that so many of us do now.

Jasper - You will probs find the Primal Blueprint book a good read. Its heavy on the biology and how cells work, but the food and exercise bits make huge sense. Mark Sisson advocates that all we need to do is exercise in a way that mimics what the hunter gatherers used to do (sometimes foraging, some sprints, lifting heavy weights occasionally etc). After that just control insulin manufacture. This is achieved by avoiding processed or cultivated foods such as processed fats / sugars and grain based products. It has a real world twist that makes it easier to follow in modern life. Ive managed to lose nearly 5Kg in approx 6 weeks following it, but to be honest it sounds very similar to what you are doing (hence the recommendation as a good read rather than to change what you are doing).

What i find really interesting is that some of the modern illnesses that we now are heavily reliant on medical intervention for may have been avoidable. Im convinced that most are so serious that we defo do need serious medical help to get rid of once we have them, but there seems to be a chance to avoid and repair years of damage before it gets to that stage by these lifestyle changes................... or should we just say going back to the way it should be rather than the imposed lifestyles we thought were OK.

Ive also looked into the full blown Paleo guides but i would struggle with it in a strict way.

It certainly is a fascinating subject. One last word though - i have absolutely no issue sharing a table with somebody who wants to eat a big processed meal based on grains and swill it down with some jugs of beer, cos i can sit there quietly knowing that at least iam avoiding the long term health implications and at a point in the future will be a big step ahead of them.

Jasper

posted on 14/5/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick update if anyone is interested:

A mate of mine who has a chronic pancreatic condition (lives on a very reduced fat diet) started the 5:2 plan at Christmas and had a blood test at the time (which he has to have regularly). In April he had another blood test and the results were his Cholesterol went from 4.9 to 3.5 and his Hdl went up 0.2, and he's lost 1.5 stone. He's understandably very happy as he has not had good health for many years and looks and apparently feels great now.

My weight has stabilised at about 80kg - 12.6 stone which is perfect for me as I'm about 6'2". My waste has gone from a 35" to a 32" and I can fit in my skinny trousers again. Fasting has now become a part of my week and really easy most of the time. I'm now enjoying cooking and eating much more as I cook and eat what I really want to the rest of the time guilt free.

Bluemoon

posted on 14/5/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Great news. Glad it's working out for you... I suspect the fasting idea is probably a good one as we evolved with what would have been a limited and sporadic supply of food before we all became farmers, then couch potatoes, evolution can't keep up!

Good luck with it!

Dan

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.