Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to start?
joggingjohn

posted on 7/8/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Where to start?

Hi everyone,

First post here, i've been a lurker for a fair amount of time now and I think it's time to start moving forward!

I want to build a locost primarily to use up a few years or my spare time and to keep my mind active (I'm a primary teacher and need someone rebellious to do in my spare time).

I have read the Haynes book and aren't much the wiser really. Are there any key books that should be digested? I would love to enter into the 750mc at some point, so I guess this defines my build.

With regards to welding, I am an absolute novice. Any advice on courses, learning aids?

Many thanks for any advice,
John

austin man

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
The haynes roadster wouldnt be any good for the 750 series you need the ron champion book for this I believe

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ReMan

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
buy a chassis ready done and avoid the learning curve
theres plenty to learn and welding is not the place to start and fail imho

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Cheffy

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. As suggeted by austin man, your best starting point is probably the Ron Champion book. That will give you a very good idea of a basic build - and how to do it for 250 quid! But seriously it is a good starting point.

I started by reading it, then making a list of the tools I thought I would need (I was lucky in that as an ex kart racer and keen home mechanic I had a lot of standard tools.) I then bought a job lot of steel, taught myself to weld using info I could find on the internet and lots of scrap ends of metal and just went from there.

After that, there's not much more you need to know that can't be found on this site. Just use the search facility first, and if that doesn't answer your question, then put up a new post.

Good luck with your project.

Cheffy/Martin.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.