Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota GT86 - Subaru BRZ
Jasper

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota GT86 - Subaru BRZ

Saw a mention of it on TV last night, hadn't heard anything about it up till then. Looks like the first RWD proper sports car from the Japs for a long time , normally aspirated, tyres from a Prius, designed for a bit of sideways action, think I'm gonna book me a test drive soon! Not that I can afford one yet, but give it a year or two and who knows.

http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/brz/

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Liam

posted on 30/8/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
They are awesome!

Chris Harris review

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maccmike

posted on 30/8/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
read and watched mixed reviews. another 100hp and then it'd be a cool car.
loggyboy

posted on 30/8/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah im mighty impressed with these (not that ive driven one), saw it online a few months back and was pleased to see a sensible asking price (£25k).
Saw one in the shopping centre at weekend and it looked smaller than I thought (i was expecting skyline/300zx sort of size) but looked even smaller than a celica. Might have been deciving in the large shopping centre and was locked so couldnt sit in it.
Im looking forward to owning one in about 5 years!

Mistral Motorsport

twybrow

posted on 30/8/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone seen the advert on TV for the Toyota? At least 3 shots of it oversteering in the the advert - I can't think of another car advert that has shown similar... I would love to try one out - but as previously said, another 50-100hp would make it an awesome beast!
femster87

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Saw one on the road this weekend toyota one. Looked pretty good.
b14wrc

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

I am a Toyota fan through and through, I had been waiting for the launch of the GT86 for well over a year before its official launch in the UK, i am hoping my local Toyota dealer will get one in for me next month to have a test when my SR180 goes in for a service. If i do i will let you know.

To be honest, i was a bit disappointed, not saying i would not get one, as I’ve heard the handling is really good. But the 0 - 60 time is slower than my Auris, and to me, acceleration is the most important thing. Before the Auris i had a Celica GTfour, which i loved, even though the engine was almost standard it was far quicker than my current car!

I am hoping in a year or two they decide to stick a proper turbo engine in, I mean the EJ20 (although can be prone to bottom end issues) is a great engine out the Subaru and is turbo usually any way.

Two main things I don’t like about it are the wheels (who designed them?) and the 'boxer' badge on the wings. Apart from that i do really like it and when the prices come down i think it would be an awesome change for the Auris.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

Jasper

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - that's the only thing that seemed a bit of a let down, my Focus St puts out around 275bhp and I think I would find the lack of power a bit disappointing - BUT it may well make up for it in handling, we'll see.

Gonna book a test drive none the less

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ivan

posted on 30/8/12 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I would love one before the FWD numptys out there start putting them through the hedges backwards and start complaining that Toyo/Subi have designed an evil handling beast that needs to be tamed or withdrawn.
wylliezx9r

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
read and watched mixed reviews. another 100hp and then it'd be a cool car.

So what benefit is that extra 100 bhp going to have then ? Lose your license quicker ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

loggyboy

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
To all comments about lack of power, and 0-60 times you are completely missing the point of the car. Chris Harris sums it up perfectly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=romf-G6CZ7g#t=572s

[Edited on 30-8-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

morcus

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Like others I've been following the release of this car for the last couple of years or how ever long its been, it feels like decades, not that I'm going to buy one, but I went to see it at my local toyota deaership and it looks great.

There is talk of a turbo model in the future (Read it in top gear) but as above, your missing the point as the car isn't about raw power.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

blakep82

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
the japs do like to make a car that is very easily tunable to rediculous power too, so you never know what its actually capable of. probably won't be long til someone gets 800bhp from one
i quite like it though, new drift and or doner car for the future

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

twybrow

posted on 30/8/12 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
To all comments about lack of power, and 0-60 times you are completely missing the point of the car. Chris Harris sums it up perfectly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=romf-G6CZ7g#t=572s

[Edited on 30-8-12 by loggyboy]

Great bit of video - I want one even more! It seems to be a like a 4 seat MX5 - approachable and exploitable at sensible speeds. Let's hope it is a success and inspires some of the other manufacturers to have a go at similar cars....

daniel mason

posted on 30/8/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
there was one at harewood a few weeks back. not quick at all on the hill and is quite large. it did look very nice though!

Liam

posted on 30/8/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Surprised to see locosters arguably missing the point and saying it needs 300 bhp to be a good car! The whole ethos of this car is about bringing back the fun with a great chassis and modest but useable power - something that should be familiar to us. Looks like they achieved that in spades. I'm sure people who missed the point will be more than adequately catered for by aftermarket tuners, if not the manufacturers themselves eventually

[Edited on 30/8/12 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 30/8/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
We've had sporty subarus in the family for 10 years now. Test drove the new WRX STi saloon and was disappointed as it seemed to focus more on being a bloated fast saloon and less on being rewarding to drive. Hopefully this has gone back in the other direction, but only a test drive will tell!

bi22le

posted on 30/8/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just throwing it out there. . . .

370Z or RX8, have people forgotten about these?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Furyous

posted on 30/8/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
There was a prediction before it came out, I think on Jalopnik, that half of them would be crashed sideways into kerbs. I've seen photos of about half a dozen that were crashed. One was rear-ended and all the others had bent rear wheels.
daniel mason

posted on 30/8/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
370z is heavy beast!

wylliezx9r

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Just throwing it out there. . . .

370Z or RX8, have people forgotten about these?

370z's handle like poo and rx8's go bang, simples lol.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

twybrow

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
And both 350/370Z and RX8 have tyre sizes that mean they have more grip than handling at sensible speeds.
b14wrc

posted on 30/8/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Missing the point?

Well I may have missed the point about handling, but as I ran a Celica ST205 for several years, my expectations of what is a quick road car are based on that. I agree out and out speed isn't necessary, legally 70 is all you can do. But getting there quicker than the next man, and using the power to safely over take in my opinion is the essence of a proper sports car.

200bhp is disappointing. For the same money you could get a focus RS, which by comparison, seems a very sorted looking car. Good handling also requires light weight, as we all know, can't see the GT86 is a lightweight. See what locost I'm building, I decided to build it because I thought the celica was slow!

I won't mention 4x4 then as I will be shot down in flames, but again I'd expected 4wd from the GT86 as per the GTfour.... Although I understand the engine is moved back so far you wouldn't get the front shafts out the gear box like in the normal scooby.

I checked the Subaru link earlier today, and notice there isn't many differences between the two, from what I remember, the scooby concept was a very agresive rally inspired looking thing, looks like only difference is the badging.....

Let us know what the test drive is like, I am keen myself.

Rob

Liam

posted on 30/8/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
But getting there quicker than the next man, and using the power to safely over take in my opinion is the essence of a proper sports car.

Well, you've got a very, putting it as kindly as I can, 21st century idea of what the essence of a proper sports car is! This car harks back to the days where the essence of a proper sports car was lightness, feel, responsiveness, handling balance and the ability to hang the arse out round the twisties. Not having a stupid amount of power going though the front wheels so you can win the traffic light GP or overtake people on motorways whilst carrying your weekly shopping in the generous hatch load area!

I know its harder to have real driving fun on the roads these days, but people still want a car with those 'traditional' sportscar attributes, and the whole point of keeping power and grip down is exactly so you can do that without loosing your license/life.

b14wrc

posted on 30/8/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote

Each to their own, get what your saying Liam, I have been looking at the Elise recenly as a next car too, which has all the points you describe. But I think you sacrifice a lot with the lotus in my opinion for the performance.

Rob

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.