Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: electric reverse
Sierra

posted on 3/9/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
electric reverse

Hi guys im new to the kit car scene but im currently on the look out for my first one. to be honest ive seen a few nice mk bec's but whats stopped me getting one is the lack of reverse.
question is if i purchase an electric reverse who can fit it and how much would it roughly cost?
i live down in hertfordshire so ideally someone near me but if not im willing to travel.
thanks

adithorp

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you could fit one but... I've been on the road 5 years and just clocked up 18000 miles without one. You just have to think before you park and not stop too close behind other cars. You soon get an eye for spotting a slope to roll down (Issac Newton reverse). At sub 500kg they're not hard to push either should you need to but that tends to just be the occational cafe car park.

If you don't want to be seen pushing then you might not like the comedy electric reverse more.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I do have a reverse 'kit' for a Freelander differential, Westfield fitment. removed and occupying bedroom space. It does require some modification to the chassis. I only fitted it to comply with MSA regulations (my sprint competitors got a bit anal in the paddock). Thing is, I never used it in anger on the road, I'd simply push the car.

Only problem was on single track roads. Obese muppets hurl abuse and just sit in their silver cars, inching forward threateningly as you push the car a considerable distance to a passing point, rather than back their car up to one 10 feet behind. Unfortunately, this is (FU) life these days, if you can accept that, you don't need a reverse.

bobinspain

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I endorse Adithorp's view.
I've had my MK 6 months and used leccy reverse twice. Once 'cos I was a prat and missed the fact that I'd turned up a one way street packed with tourist cars and gawking pedestrians. No-one was going to allow me out, so reversing was a pig. Spaniards are as impatient as Italians when behind the wheel.
The full-on/full-off nature of it makes it non too practical, so I reserve it for 'emergecies only.'
There's never a shortage of volunteers to lend a hand by pushing, and it's surprisingly easy to spot a drive in/drive out opportunity if you look for them.

Sierra

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys but for me if I decided to go with a bec I would definitely want a reverse gear. It just comes down to how much it would be to fit as I'd have to take this into account on top of the price of the car
unijacko67

posted on 3/9/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just go halves with someone on a caravan mover, the type with the rotating cylinder (12v) that lowers onto the tyre. Joking aside has anyone used that type or am I missing something. Linkage could be a bit messy and time consuming to wind onto tyre. Lol.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
probablyleon

posted on 4/9/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have an electric reverse too and would concur - next to useless and only really a last resort in emergencies. If you must have a reverse you might get away with one of the mechanical options. There's a chap near me (Bath) that has taken over the development of the Muffett system. He claims to have considerably improved the reliability, although I wouldn't imagine they're very 'locost' . Talk to James at PJ Motor services link
Sloan85

posted on 4/9/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Is electric reverse required for the IVA?
loggyboy

posted on 4/9/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloan85

A reverse is, doesnt have to be electric.

Mistral Motorsport

bartonp

posted on 4/9/12 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Now for the 'locost' version ... hinged flap in the driver's floor!
Sloan85

posted on 4/9/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Sloan85

A reverse is, doesnt have to be electric.

Are there any other reverse options for a bike engined Indy? Curious as I should be ordering a kit soon.

adithorp

posted on 4/9/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mechanical reverse gearbox on the prop-shaft. Available from MNR, Westfield and others.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RK

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
Now for the 'locost' version ... hinged flap in the driver's floor!

That's the Fred Flintstone Reverse.

blowden86

posted on 8/9/12 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I just picked up my Indy R kit yesterday from MK, I'm fitting a GSXR 1000 engine with an electric reverse. They can provide you with a electric reverse, very simple to fit, they weld the brackets onto the chassis when you order it, then all you need to do it bolt it on and cut a hole in the floor panel to fit.

There's a cog which fits onto the propshaft, also comes from MK, so when you press your button to engage your reverse it turns the prop in the other direction to drive, simples! Your best option is to give MK a call and speak to Danny who will cost it up for you.

40inches

posted on 8/9/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blowden86
I just picked up my Indy R kit yesterday from MK, I'm fitting a GSXR 1000 engine with an electric reverse. They can provide you with a electric reverse, very simple to fit, they weld the brackets onto the chassis when you order it, then all you need to do it bolt it on and cut a hole in the floor panel to fit.

There's a cog which fits onto the propshaft, also comes from MK, so when you press your button to engage your reverse it turns the prop in the other direction to drive, simples! Your best option is to give MK a call and speak to Danny who will cost it up for you.

Or you can make your own for about half the price

gtr_garner

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
i havent had the need for a reverse yet, even when parking etc people dont mind waiting 20 seconds for me to jump out and push it because they find it amusing and like looking at the car!

as said above i just gauge where i may need to reverse and where i can swing round if needs be.
it must have had an electric reverse or something at some point to pass the SVA but dont know how, as its chain driven :S

40inches

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gtr_garner
i havent had the need for a reverse yet, even when parking etc people dont mind waiting 20 seconds for me to jump out and push it because they find it amusing and like looking at the car!

as said above i just gauge where i may need to reverse and where i can swing round if needs be.
it must have had an electric reverse or something at some point to pass the SVA but dont know how, as its chain driven :S

The requirement for a reverse only came about for IVA.
In actual fact, I don't believe that there is any reference to actually fitting a reverse, only fitting a mandatory reverse lamp that is activated when selecting reverse gear,this amounts to the same thing I suppose

[Edited on 18-10-12 by 40inches]

gtr_garner

posted on 18/10/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
that may explain how mine got through it then! being an 05 it was before IVA if im correct?
well i dont have a reverse gear so the light wouldnt do much in my case :p

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.