Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ERA Sump Problems
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
ERA Sump Problems

Evening All. I have a Tiger Racing ERA sump for my shiny new(ish) Zetec.

However when cornering at even mild speeds, the oil pressure dips alarmingly. Now I know they say for road use only, but I would expect it to work a little better than that.

So I dropped the sump off tonight and found that the pickup is about 12 to 15mm away from the bottom of the sump.
It also looks like this... Which I wasn't expecting.

So - opinions all please. Is it worth adjusting the height and percevering? Or am I always going to have issues? I do want to track the car and don't want to spend ages tinkering then buying a raceline anyway....

snakebelly

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
personally i would ditch it if the car is going to get good track use and replace with the Raceline equiv, more money but whats your engine worth? alternatively the ERA sump can be made to work but will need baffling. Also have you measured the amount of oil in the sump and not just relied on the dipstick?

In fact now i think about it i'm sure it should have come with a box baffle that bolts up to the windage tray and surrounds the pickup, is that part present?

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
No sign of of any oil control box/baffle at all. That's all there was when I dropped the sump.
snakebelly

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
i think this will tell you all you need to know:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=170587

snakebelly

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
im 99% sure there should be a box type baffle that bolts to the 4 longer Mains studs that surrounds the pickup to try and help control the flow away from the pickup, to be honest though even with it its not much cop, looks ok but thats about the best i can say about it. Dont ask me how i know!
snakebelly

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
as it happens im working in london for the next fortnight and staying in elstree which i dont think is far from you, if you want to persavere with it drop me a pm and i would be happy to pop over one evening and show you how the box baffle is supposed to work, its a easy piece to make and might see you all right for just occasional track use.
snakebelly

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
this post on the Tiger Forum shows the piece your missing

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/post/ERA-Sump-5652129

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ah that's the sucker...

It's one of those buy in haste repent at leisure kind of things... It seems that others have suffered too. I may just bite the bullet. Do it right, do it once...

dlatch

posted on 3/9/12 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
no baffles= no oil pressure but it can be fixed you just need a friendly tig welder
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/9/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Except I have no tig welder and no talent...
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Not much comfort but some info that may be useful.

I bought the Scholar Racing sump after hearing about issues with the Tiger one. It was excellent, holding good oil pressure no matter how hard i chucked the striker around.

its not exactly a cheap item, but It was good value in my opinion.

linky here: http://www.scholarengines.co.uk/Lowline%20sump.htm

If you've got a blacktop its a little more, as you need special turned spacers, and a windage tray. Service from them was excellent too.

Strontium Dog

posted on 4/9/12 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I can make you a baffle box if you want. I make a few sumps for people on here anyway and making that would be simple enough! If you U2U me I'll give you my no.

Cheers Si.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/9/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.

I do have a blacktop, but it is already fitted with a windage tray and the spacers etc.

Si - I'll drop you a U2U

Cheers!

whitestu

posted on 4/9/12 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I do have a blacktop, but it is already fitted with a windage tray and the spacers etc

I'm surprised you have had problems. I chopped my own blacktop sump and didn't baffle it at all. I've done several trackdays and the oil pressure has never dipped.

Stu

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/9/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Now - you see - this is where it all started to go wrong

I thought I would do better with a shortened ally sump... I should've read the feedback earlier.

However, I think a lot of the problems are caused by the height not being set correctly as it SHOULD be 8 to 10mm

If I whack a box around it and adjust it properly, it could be a good'n

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 7/9/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I decided to take the cheapskate option and get the baffle box from Tiger.

In case you are in any doubt about the bucket like nature of these sumps, they look like this.

And the baffle box fits like this.

Just a bit of cleaning up to do and I can start assembly and height adjustment. I'll let you know how it goes...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.