Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: stupid stupid mistake
focijohn

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
stupid stupid mistake

Surely I can't be the only one to make a mistake so stupid you feel embarrassed just looking at it. Consequently I now have a 5 inch slot in my dash that only needed to be 2 inches at most .
So my tip of the day is... if everything has been going well and you've sorted everything you had planned for the day and your about to pack up and you think, no, I'll just do that one last thing. DON'T do that one last thing.
Anyway back off to bang my head against the wall

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

tegwin

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Atleast its a neat bleep up and not a messy one :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

focijohn

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
you've seen the picture then. Thinking of gluing it back in from behind and then stick the rev counter there.... its an 80mm one I've ordered so should fill the holes and some of the marks failing that I'll wait till the seats in etc and see if I can move the steering wheel up. Plan C is get a new on :-)

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

tegwin

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Or... get a nice piece of carbon sheet (or carbon effect) and cut it to form a surround for your clocks/switches/warning lights thus hiding the hole ...everyone loves carbon...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

Fatgadget

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Picture please..just to verify!
focijohn

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Good Plan..... I'll leave that for towards the end, so at my current pace it will be in about 2 years .that said a new one is only £125, still more expense that could have been avoided. We'll wait and see.

tegwin

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Pfft... spend the £125 on hookers and coke...

Just to everyone can have a laugh at your expense:

russbost

posted on 11/9/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
An Acewell dash would cover that nicely!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SteveWalker

posted on 11/9/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
A slightly modified rubber gear lever gaiter would make it look deliberate.
Wheels244

posted on 11/9/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
John - have you tried it for size with a seat yet ?

You might get a pleasant surprise - your column does look low down and don't forget you can move the column up in the slides that MNR weld in - unless they've changed the design.

Wheels244

posted on 11/9/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I had a pic of mine on here

Description
Description

My column seems to sit higher than yours and mine was quite low down as I like that driving position.

I also mounted the gear indicator in the gap above mine - in direct line of sight.

Rob

rusty nuts

posted on 11/9/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Modify the steering column cowling?
focijohn

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
No I've not tried it for size as I don't yet have the seats... however the column is quite low to the bottom of the runners and the time that I sat in it yesterday to, well, to do nothing more and admire the wheels turning in syncro with the steering wheel. It can wait to further on in the build, when I have seats in etc. If not I quite like the idea of a modified gaiter, need to find a column shroud first I suppose.

All might not be lost .....

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/9/12 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Modify your Steering so you can adjust its height for entering exiting the car....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thetankwad

posted on 14/12/12 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mount a gauge in the gap...?

--Lets get down to Business!--

loggyboy

posted on 14/12/12 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
perfect spot for a small brushed alloy plate with a shift light.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 14/12/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
perfect spot for a small brushed alloy plate with a shift light.

Something like this?:

MistakeDashShiftLightA
MistakeDashShiftLightA

[Edited on 14-12-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

gaz_gaz

posted on 14/12/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Pfft... spend the £125 on hookers and coke...

Just to everyone can have a laugh at your expense:

At last. some good advice on LCB

fregis

posted on 5/1/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i saw simple mistake. guy made lift from wood and paint black

Barksavon

posted on 5/1/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
stupid stupid mistake

John
couple of years ago i was cutting some flooring with a chopsaw, i'd finished for the day, all gone well, just decided to cut this last piece then finish and have a game of golf........... cut my finger off !!! so yes you're right, if its gone well and youre where you wanted to be, rather than just do that last bit put your tools down and come back to it tomorrow.
It could have been worse mate and i'm sure the dash looks great by now.

coozer

posted on 5/1/13 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, mine was probably worse.. gets a new scuttle with a nice carbon dash.. so to save a bit time offers it up to the old one to mark the slot for the column.. cut the slot and put it on the car...

DOH! Slot on the left ...

Ring ring.. Hello, you know that nice carbon scuttle I just bought.. Yes.. Well, can I have another one please....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 6/1/13 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Measure twice cut once...
That's how it's supposed to be anyway. I measure 3 or 4 times, cut once and then see it's wrong...

I measured the indicators and delights over and over and ended up with this
Description
Description

Must be about an inch out...

Did you sort it ok?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Davey D

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be surprised if you need the steering wheel that low once you've got your seats in. I have GRP seats and a tiny steering wheel in my MNR, and my column is loads higher then you currently have yours set to.

Seats have an anti submarining section at the front which lifts your thighs higher than what you would think. Get your seats fitted before doing anything else with the column

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.