Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which BEC would you build?
jonabonospen

posted on 12/9/12 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Which BEC would you build?

Took a trip to Mac#1 yesterday to have a look around their place and see some of their cars. What a great bunch of guys they were. Couldn't ask for anything more from them. They gave me their time, their advice, showed me pics on the PC, let me sit in a car.......... I really couldn't have asked for more.

So after a chat with them, and some reading of build blogs, and looking around on the net, I am now leaning towards having a go at building my own kit rather than buying a completed car. And I very much like the look of the Mac#1 Worx ZX10R, especially so as I am a Kawasaki lover.

But....... given a requirement of meeting a similar budget to the Worx car (perhaps around £12k total build cost) and with a requirement for a decent powered engine (i.e. ZX10R, ZX12R, Busa, that sort of thing), what kit would you choose to buy and build and why?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NigeEss

posted on 13/9/12 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Money no object I'd go for an Indy with a Busa but reallity dictates much lower expectations

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

daniel mason

posted on 13/9/12 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
on a budget an aries motorsport with blade or R1 probably.
if not the a striker or mnr with more modern busa,zzr1400 or blade. all imho obviously.

TimC

posted on 13/9/12 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
For a 7-shape for the road, probably Aries with an R1.

Otherwise, click below.

adithorp

posted on 13/9/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
If it had to be a 7, then Raw Stiker with '06 R1. Alternative to R1 would be either ZX10R or the CBR1000RR'08 blade as being used by a lot of the RGB racers. Only problem with the '08CBR is the height of the engine with secondary injectors

Personaly think the BUSA is too heavy, too expensive and too complex (with dry sump) and the ZZR1400 too expensive and heavy for the extra power for either to be worth it. The ZX12 isn't much better than the ZX10R.

Bare in mind if you go for a new build, the cost of IVA and registrtion... and you won't be driving it for 12months (pos' even 2014 onward). If doing it again, I'd be looking for a registered car and rebuilding to my own spec'... and I'd gp for a FuryR1... again!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jonabonospen

posted on 13/9/12 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

If doing it again, I'd be looking for a registered car and rebuilding to my own spec'... and I'd gp for a FuryR1... again!

That comment has interested me. Is that really a viable way; to buy a completed car, then strip it all down and basically rebuild it the way YOU want it (i.e. changing the engine and clocks, the dash, brakes etc)?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 13/9/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
quote:

If doing it again, I'd be looking for a registered car and rebuilding to my own spec'... and I'd gp for a FuryR1... again!

That comment has interested me. Is that really a viable way; to buy a completed car, then strip it all down and basically rebuild it the way YOU want it (i.e. changing the engine and clocks, the dash, brakes etc)?

If the car is relatively recent then it is probably not sensible to replace the engine owing to the cost of all the bits you would need to swap (engine, ECU, exhaust manifold, engine mounts, prop-shaft length, bodywork where exhaust exits, diff-ratio) which would add a lot of cost. But all the other stuff would be easy.

Adi's idea is a good one, and now is about the right time of year to be looking around. There are a few folk who like building but aren't interested in owning, so they sell their cars at a considerable loss over the component costs.

Matt

adithorp

posted on 13/9/12 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Yes.

A new build always costs (a) more than you budget for and (b) more than the resale value. By wisely and you can save quite a lot of £'s and even more hassle; you can probably do it including all the shiney bit's that cause (a) and all the ones you couldn't aford.

jonabonospen

posted on 13/9/12 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell!! Yesterday I was all set for buying a kit to build. Now you guys have got me questioning that again now
wylliezx9r

posted on 13/9/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
When choosing a supplier make sure you know their customer service history, a quick search on here would do it. Just because they sell a good product doesn't mean they will be good to deal with.
I would be looking at Aries, MNR, Road runner and as all ready mentioned mac1. But that's just my opinion of course.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Jon Ison

posted on 13/9/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Winter approaching, prices will fall, buy a completed registered car as close to your spec on the basics as possible then sort it over the winter.

If I was doing it again probably fury or the likes, defo full bodied if going BEC.

There was a ZX12 engine for sale on here last week, cant remember exact price but it was more than reasonable £500 ish maybe less.

jonabonospen

posted on 13/9/12 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

If I was doing it again probably fury or the likes, defo full bodied if going BEC.

Why go full bodied?

adithorp

posted on 13/9/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
More comfort especially if you missjudge the weather (no rooster tail of water in your face off the front wheel) and better aero. A 7 hits an aero brick wall at about 120 were my Fury goes through 145, still pulling.

twybrow

posted on 13/9/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
My humble opinion!

MNR - Personally I have not had great service from them, and their cars recieve mixed reviews. They seem to bolt together well, but are possibly not the most well engineered car.
MK - I personally wouldn't touch them. The service in recent times has been dreadful, and I dont think the car itself is that great.
Aries - great service, and a very well sorted chassis. There is a reason the racers love them!
Westfield - pricey to start with, but very well sorted chassis and they hold their value better than other kits
Raw - I would be very tempted by a Raw. The service is reportedly good, and the car has a proven race/track pedigree.
Mac#1 - I cant comment - I have never had anything to do with them.
Dax - too expensive for what they are and the looks don't do it for me. But there is no denying they are well engineered.

Engines are a whole different kettle of fish! Figure out a few basics: cost, power/torque requirements, ease on install, upgradability, gearing (axle requirements) etc. Anything is possible so it is very much a case of going after what you want. If you are a Kwak fan, ZZR1100, ZX10 (old or new), ZX12 and ZX14 are all well trodden paths, so you shouldn't have major issues with any of them....

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/9/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
If I was doing it again, I'd go fury - probably with a screen and doors, and a nice CEC engine.

Just being honest. The BEC was great 10% of the time, and a pain 90% of the time. Unless you live 2 minutes from amazing country roads of course!

But whatever engine, I'd go Fury - just so it was more useable.

I bought part built, and it really helped keep the price down. But mine was a real budget build (about half your build budget) - which led to compromises.

If I was in your shoes I;d ask a simple question, do you want a kit car to drive or to build? If you are PASSIONATE about the build then build - if you are anything less than PASSIONATE about the build bit, then BUY it complete (turn key or 2nd hand). It can be a long old road, and if you are like me you will stall - I ended up getting a lot of the work done by a fellow builder at my cost, which worked for me - it still took two years from being part built!

There are plenty of part builts for sale because people give up - its common.

There are also lots of people who are still build 4 and 5 years in.

So think carefully, £12k is A LOT of money to tie up in a lengthy build unless you will really get a lot out of that part of the process.

hicost blade

posted on 13/9/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield megabusa or megablade every day of the week, and when you get board of it you can easily sell it!!!! Unlike every other make of car mentioned above. Also they are usually better made and look better in my opinion (which doesn't count for much)

I have owned a few and they appeal to a much wider audience when it comes to selling, unlike the locost I almost gave away!!
Dave

welderman

posted on 13/9/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've had two 7 type cars a fury and I'm building another 7 type car (mainly track)

I though if I had the choice would have another fury with the new honda1000 rr. Had good reports about the engine and the fury is an excellent car. You just feel that bit more safer with a full bodied car

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

adithorp

posted on 13/9/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
just feel that bit more safer with a full bodied car

Odd that, Joe... 'cos "safe" isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of your driving.

[Edited on 13/9/12 by adithorp]

imp paul

posted on 13/9/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
i was told by paul at spire sports that the blade 1000rr engines new type suffer the gear on the end of the crank breaking up and its part of the crank so new crank every time not good but a fast engine so it seems
jonabonospen

posted on 13/9/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Forgetting the customer service, which models do you consider to be technically the best. So for example the Mac#1 Worx against MK Indy R, which is technically the best car?
Hellfire

posted on 13/9/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
If we were to build another kit, it would be the Indy R and most definitely BEC. The only difficulty would be choosing the engine. It'd have to be either ZX10R or ZX12R. Personally, I'm not too keen on full bodied cars and I still think the MK Indy R is aesthetically the best looking budget 7 on the market. I'd also choose the MK over a MAC#1 for reasons we've already discussed.

Phil

sdh2903

posted on 13/9/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you're after technical ability go for a westy or a caterham. They hold their value too.

It depends on you personally with respect to build vs buying. I thoroughly enjoyed building and feel very proud but now it's finished I feel a bit lost and will be building something else before long.

For the 12k budget you would get a well sorted megablade with change left over to make it exactly how you want it. You would probably get a nice megabusa for that money too.

jonabonospen

posted on 13/9/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I only mentioned the £12k budget in respect of building a car, as the costs would be spread out over some time. If I was however to just go buy a car then that budget is likely to come down to more like £7,000-7,500 for an outright purchase.

I have now been to see MK's factory too. Although there were more people there, and the chassis for the Indy R does look nice, I wasn't overcome with a will to buy one. What did interest me more though was that Danny was saying I could probably have an Indy R with a Busa in it, for what I was looking at spending on a Mac#1 Worx with a ZX10R engine in it. I also found the pricing at MK to be a little vague as only you get is the price for the 'Indy R Deluxe starter kit' but then you have to guess yourself how much EVERYTHING else is going to be. The Mac#1 pricing of selling you everything apart from an engine, in packages, seems much easier for the budgeting.

There just seems to be soooo many things to consider that it is hard to decide what to do for the best. Manufacturer, chassis, the looks, the engine, the build / after sales support, price.

welderman

posted on 13/9/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
just feel that bit more safer with a full bodied car

Odd that, Joe... 'cos "safe" isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of your driving.

[Edited on 13/9/12 by adithorp]

hmm i fell into the trap lol

mind you Tom and i were only just talking the other day about my driving in the very very wet at a considerable speed on the way home from a kit car show with yourself. I was dry as a bone when i got home, speed = rain goes right over the head lol.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

welderman

posted on 13/9/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
I only mentioned the £12k budget in respect of building a car, as the costs would be spread out over some time. If I was however to just go buy a car then that budget is likely to come down to more like £7,000-7,500 for an outright purchase.

I have now been to see MK's factory too. Although there were more people there, and the chassis for the Indy R does look nice, I wasn't overcome with a will to buy one. What did interest me more though was that Danny was saying I could probably have an Indy R with a Busa in it, for what I was looking at spending on a Mac#1 Worx with a ZX10R engine in it. I also found the pricing at MK to be a little vague as only you get is the price for the 'Indy R Deluxe starter kit' but then you have to guess yourself how much EVERYTHING else is going to be. The Mac#1 pricing of selling you everything apart from an engine, in packages, seems much easier for the budgeting.

There just seems to be soooo many things to consider that it is hard to decide what to do for the best. Manufacturer, chassis, the looks, the engine, the build / after sales support, price.

they might seem a little vauge, but they are a great bunch of lads and there electrical genius is a wiring god

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.