Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto crankcase breather - Weber carbs
jos

posted on 16/9/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto crankcase breather - Weber carbs

Ive just fitted a set of weber carbs and have noticed drips of oil on the garage floor.

Previously the crankcase breather was connected to the carb/manifold by a hose which ive now taken to a catch tank.

I believe the problem is that the block is not breathing properly and think I need to alter the current arrangement to allow it to breathe properly.

At present ive got a length of hose onto which an "elbow" is connected, the elbow is then pushed into a rubber o ring, which is installed in a larger diameter unit which in turn is connected to the block by a smaller diameter unit. Inside the larger diameter unit is another bit which moves when pushed by a flat head screwdriver, however I dont seem to be able to get it out, which I believe i need to.

Could somebody enlighten me as to what the various bits are as Ive done a search for help and am currently none the wiser. Im reading about PCV units, fireblocks etc and havent got a clue.

Help please. Ive bought a PACE elbow and hose but dont know whther i need to push this into the rubber o ring into the eixtsing unit with the guts removed, or whether the large/small diameter unit which houses the o ring needs to be reomved first (if so how) and then the elbow installed directly into the block without any bits inbetween

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

snapper

posted on 16/9/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
The standard Pinto set up has a valve opporated by the vacuum from the inlet manifold, if you just run the pipe to a catch tank you are not overcoming the vac operated valve pressure builds up in the crank case.
Remove the standard gubbins put the elbow straight into the block pipe to catch tank, tank will need a breather second pipe from rocker cover

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jos

posted on 16/9/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. Is the valve on the end of the initial pipe or within the gubbins attached to the block. If its in the gubbins how do I get the internals out to allow free breathing

rusty nuts

posted on 16/9/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the Pinto but Burtons do a crankcase breather elbow for the Xflow that replaces the breather filter and valve assembly , might be worth having a look at their website, the may do one for the Pinto?
RichardK

posted on 16/9/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look through my gallery at the early pinto stuff as you can see I made an adaptor and where it fitted, it's just a resistance fit in the block so just gently tap it out with small drift or old screwdriver.

Page 6 it is...

Fords, then mine and far right buttons.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 16/9/12 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 16/9/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I did

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Bare

posted on 16/9/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
IMO These Engines 'invented' Blowby.. Lotsa bodge attempts to deal with it evolved

Suggest adding a decent sized Catch can setup.. Only thing that actually worked 'reliably'.
Assuming one has the lucidity to empty it ..regularly.

jos

posted on 17/9/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
C'mon then, what removal technique needs to be applied...........

jos

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
No need for any replies - I got it removed & sorted this evening

Removal technique was to use a long handled flat headed screwdriver from underneath and gentle persuasion to tap it out without requiring removal of the engine, engine mount, carbs dizzy or pressure sensor. YIPPEE.

It is quite a tight fit and theres no way it wouldve come out with sheer brute force but its out at last and I just need to install the replacement & take it to a catch tank to see if its resolved

nobleedd

posted on 29/11/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
hi

just wanted to bump this post back up as i'm having problems with connecting the crankcase breather back to the carb/manifold after putting in a engine.

first off i'm not a mechanic, i have put in a new engine using a "haynes" manual guide.

i have some pictures of my problem, i'm not sure if im missing parts or need new parts.

is thos meant to be pushed in? i have tried but not with force

thank you.

umgrybab

posted on 29/11/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that is the PCV they were talking about. The other end of it should currently go to your intake manifold which lowers the crankcase pressure. I don't believe that sending it to a catch tank is the right thing to do as that does allow the high pressure from the crank to flow out from the breather, but it does not keep the crankcase in a constant state of low pressure, which is what is desired. It increases efficiency by not having the pistons have to "push around" as much air. Just push that guy back in there. If you replace your intake/carbs, I'd suggest installing induction lines instead of adding a catch can, but for IVA this may depend on the age of the engine, I think....
lucy

posted on 2/12/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nobleedd
hi

just wanted to bump this post back up as i'm having problems with connecting the crankcase breather back to the carb/manifold after putting in a engine.

first off i'm not a mechanic, i have put in a new engine using a "haynes" manual guide.

i have some pictures of my problem, i'm not sure if im missing parts or need new parts.

is thos meant to be pushed in? i have tried but not with force

thank you.

Yes. Its meant to be a snug fit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.