monck

posted on 7/3/13 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one , Very interested in the results
Rob Allison

posted on 9/3/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Any good news

silky16v

posted on 10/3/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, got the car mapped yesterday very happy with the results haven't had time to drive it on road yet due to the rain (going out this morning)

The car made 175bhp@wheels and 148ft-lb torque@wheels

If you factor about 15% on top of those for a estimated Flywheel power so that is just over 200bhp & 170ft-lb Torque, tbh I'm only interested in the power@wheels and how it drives

I have the fuel pressure set@45psi so the power is just on the limit of the injectors@80%, I plan to go back and alter the cam position to see if there is further bhp to be extracted, but for the moment I'm just going to enjoy it

Benzo

posted on 10/3/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Glad someone has had a break through on these ST170 engines..

They are cheap units!

scutter

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Outstanding fella, do you have a copy of the plot or do we have to wait for the tweeks to be completed

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
silky16v

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Outstanding fella, do you have a copy of the plot or do we have to wait for the tweeks to be completed

ATB Dan.

You mean the RR graph? Yeah I have it, just not scanned it in yet

scutter

posted on 11/3/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes fella sorry, the plotted graph from the rolling road.

Atb Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Allison

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's looking good for the ST motor at last.
A cheap 200bhp motor

silky16v

posted on 13/3/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Old graph with estimated Flywheel power, you can clearly see after 4700rpm it stopped making anymore power

New RR Graph with power measured@the wheels the tiny dip@5000rpm is the inlet cam just coming on (the plans is alter the static cam timing to try take this out)
I'm also planning to increase the exhaust manifold port size up to 2.5" diameter and have the exhaust port flowed to match, this should hopefully allow the engine to carry on making power right past 7000rpm

But for the moment i'm just going to enjoy as it is, anyone who has this engine and has the setup so it an on/off to control the inlet camshaft, i would strongly recommend changing it to fixed cam timing.

The Car is so much more enjoyable to drive & usable

coozer

posted on 13/3/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
The mapper has done a good job there Matt, the O2 line looks spot on.

However, you've lost a lot of torque in the mid range, which shows the benefit of the VVT system, with the loss of torque on the top end overlap showing the downside of a simple 'switch'. But, again at your peak power your only up 5bhp, more torque yes but I think this is better lower down.

This exercise tells me, as I thought, the next step was a new gearbox with ratios suited to the engine.

It was already a BEC beater on top end so I wouldn't be tempted to push the revs up any higher without any (expensive) engine mods.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

silky16v

posted on 13/3/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
The mapper has done a good job there Matt, the O2 line looks spot on.

However, you've lost a lot of torque in the mid range, which shows the benefit of the VVT system, with the loss of torque on the top end overlap showing the downside of a simple 'switch'. But, again at your peak power your only up 5bhp, more torque yes but I think this is better lower down.

This exercise tells me, as I thought, the next step was a new gearbox with ratios suited to the engine.

It was already a BEC beater on top end so I wouldn't be tempted to push the revs up any higher without any (expensive) engine mods.

The loss of torque in the midrange i don't find noticeable, I didn't like the way it was on/off before it felt like driving a diesel with the narrow power band it had, it is a lot more driver friendly now as its not always trying to break traction in the lower gears

My graph is power@wheels I believe yours was calculated@flywheel? You need to add around 15%+ to my figures to get an estimated Flywheel power of the engine now
There is still some further changes to be made mainly the exhaust primary's as they aren't big enough

I'm probably going to fit a MX5 gearbox from the mk3 2.0 model with a 5 speed

The difference is night and day in the way it drives you can hang on to gears alot longer which is what is needed where I live lol!

scutter

posted on 13/3/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Your last sentence is the most true, about where you like to live.

I wnet from a screamer to running the vvc and really enjoy the torque that it releases.

I picked up a spare engine the other day, so I'm going to port that and think about a 285 piper regrind, the cam is quoted as not suitable for vvc, a quick email provided the answer. They can't garantee the piston to valve clearances so always play it safe. I'll do the head work first then post the results.

ATB Dan.

ManuFromParis

posted on 11/4/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
This is a very interesting topic !
Thanks guys for posting.

I was wondering how the timing of different types of cams was set on a "fixed cams engine", according to cams and use of the car
(my other topic)
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=180174

...and obviously the answer was in the programmation of Variable Cams Timing !!!

...so I Wikied it !

Here is a very simple synthesis :

BMW's VANOS :

quote:
VANOS operates on the intake camshaft in accordance with engine speed and accelerator pedal position. At the lower end of the engine-speed scale, the intake valves are opened later, which improves idling quality and smoothness. At moderate engine speeds, the intake valves open much earlier, which boosts torque and permits exhaust gas re-circulation inside the combustion chambers, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. Finally, at high engine speeds, intake valve opening is once again delayed, so that full power can be developed. VANOS significantly enhances emission management, increases output and torque, and offers better idling quality and fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VANOS

Track-day-guys are in search of high-end power and without an Engine Managing System that can handle the solenoid, you're basically in the same situation as me, looking for the best timing but as a compromise.

Anyway, for those who have an Emerald K6, there is a VVT output but not really documented

I wonder if the IACV output couldn't be used, as is or with a voltage inverter, to control the ST170 valve Solenoid ?

[Edited on 11/4/2013 by ManuFromParis]

MarcV

posted on 11/4/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Manu, any updates on your build? (PM or blog update? :-))

VVT control (or VANOS for that matter) is not as simple as just running a PWM signal. It needs feedback from the cam sensor to close the loop.

Just a question for the crowd here. As I seem to read that the ST engine itself is a desirable unit and people are willing to spend some amount to get the timing fixed, would you guys consider a little controller to set the cam timing based on revs only. This would give the performance (not the emissions) benefits from the VVT system.

The delete kit price is about GBP 100, correct? What would be a reasonable price for a controller instead?

silky16v

posted on 11/4/13 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
You need an ECU that can do camshaft position timing to fully use the PWM valve

not just PWM on its own, this is where the ECU's and mapping time gets expensive

I've done 500miles+ in mine now and i can say that for the cost and ease of fitment the Delete VCT is the way forward for ST170 engine owners on a budget.

I personally love the way the engine pulls up the topend of the RPM, the engine really does like to be up above 5500rpm
i still have the limiter set at 7250rpm and the motor is stock.

There will always be owners who prefer the VCT on/off function, but for me & where i live its exactly how i want it
it never fails to put a smile on my face blasting down a B-road with the engine on song without having to grab the gearstick every 5 secs because it out of the powerband

silky16v

posted on 11/4/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarcV

VVT control (or VANOS for that matter) is not as simple as just running a PWM signal. It needs feedback from the cam sensor to close the loop.

Just a question for the crowd here. As I seem to read that the ST engine itself is a desirable unit and people are willing to spend some amount to get the timing fixed, would you guys consider a little controller to set the cam timing based on revs only. This would give the performance (not the emissions) benefits from the VVT system.

The delete kit price is about GBP 100, correct? What would be a reasonable price for a controller instead?

it would need to be RPM and TPS to even get anywhere close, and the mapping time would also increase as you would ideally want multiply fuel/ignition fields to benefit from the above

the Delete VCT kit is a low cost, easy option for fitting a ST170 engine and having up to 180bhp+ from a stock motor

the cost involved to get the Blacktop Zetec this level to me it's just not worth it.

i would be interested in some uprated camshaft for the ST170 that don't use the VCT (like the blacktop) but i don't think they are interchangeable between the cylinder heads, unless someone knows different

ManuFromParis

posted on 11/4/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hey Marc. No Blog so far as I'm not building anything, just using/tuning the Zetec 1.8 FI Westfield I purchased second hand in UK last Year.

quote:
As I seem to read that the ST engine itself is a desirable unit and people are willing to spend some amount to get the timing fixed, would you guys consider a little controller to set the cam timing based on revs only. This would give the performance (not the emissions) benefits from the VVT system.

That's exactly what I was thinking about, to get the best out of both options with a simple RPM input (and maybe the TPS) !!
I'm pretty sure Emerald guys could instantly provide an output like this, according to a single matrix RPM/TPS map.

MarcV

posted on 11/4/13 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Aha, clear. Seemed to recall you were in the market for / building a GKD...

I think you should not base it on TPS as this indeed requires more mapping effort. If it were to gradually change camshaft position over the rev range, it would give the benefits of the system (low overlap at low rev, higher overlap at higher revs) and still be just as easy to map. So for every rpm a fixed camshaft position.

Surely it won't do the extra overlap for internal EGR or drag torque reduction and all that, but you don't have this with fixed timing nor would you be interested in it.

silky16v

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think you should not base it on TPS as this indeed requires more mapping effort. If it were to gradually change camshaft position over the rev range, it would give the benefits of the system (low overlap at low rev, higher overlap at higher revs) and still be just as easy to map. So for every rpm a fixed camshaft position.

Surely it won't do the extra overlap for internal EGR or drag torque reduction and all that, but you don't have this with fixed timing nor would you be interested in it.

you will require an ECU that can do Camshaft position and PWM this is where the cost is & mapping, you couldn't just use a PWM controller as the solenoid is pulsed not opened a certain amount vs RPM.

If cost wasn't an issue i would fit DTA pro60 ECU and map my car this way, but it would cost nearly £2000 to do so and all it will do is move the power around not necessary increase the peak power produced.

but if someone can build a controller that will do the above cheaply that can be used on a more entry leave ECU, i'd be very interested in the results

MarcV

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
What would you define as cheaply?
ManuFromParis

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I was and I even purchased a cheap E36-328i that ended up being my daily, coz' it's reliable and convertible...

But I wasn't very impressed with the GKD chassis design and options. On top of that, registration in France for new built is impossible if you don't use an up-to-date low-emissions engine or try a pre-1993 carbed UK-registered car, not to mention the time and money needed for a built. That's why last spring I bought this Westfield with loads of engine and chassis options, to enjoy driving instead of building... done 6000 miles between may and october !

To get back to the subject, I wonder if the TPS input wouldn't make sense to tune a dynamic timing because obviously a low RPM high TPS should output a slightly different value than a standard low RPM, wouldn't it ?

ManuFromParis

posted on 11/4/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've asked Emerald about that :
quote:

Hello,
I was wondering if the K6 would be able to manage the VCT solenoid from ST170 Ford engine, for example.
Could any of the output be programmed according to RPM and TPS to map the Cam Timing ?
Thanks
Emmanuel

and here is their response :
quote:

Hi,

We have done a lot of these engines and control the cam via a PWM output table, as you say, rpm against TPS. The engine seems to only need the cam retarding at idle and very light throttle.

Regards,

Dave.

MarcV

posted on 11/4/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but It seems to me like this will be just full on / off, no specific position. I'm looking into the Ford specifics, but the system I am familiar with (VANOS) will not work without closed loop control.
Rob Allison

posted on 11/4/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Emerald K6 and asked before buying it. For cam control you need a close loop control. So you need to use the phase sensor then use other pmw output to the solenoid. After that get it mapped. Emerald were not interested as they said on engines they had ran it made little difference.

Delete kit is about £30. And if you wanted you can just use a standard zetec pulley instead of a vernier one. I got a pair of pulleys new for £120. Far cheaper then the DTA ecu, then hours of mapping.

As for cams. I think the blacktop inlet cam could fit. But it will require a new spacer bearing for the number one bearing. I don't have a head and cam to check, yet.

ManuFromParis

posted on 11/4/13 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but It seems to me like this will be just full on / off, no specific position. I'm looking into the Ford specifics, but the system I am familiar with (VANOS) will not work without closed loop control.

I think it's an analog output that you may amplify to your need and program as shown on screenshots below.
I've asked Dave for more information and he might post answers here as I sent him the link to the topic.

Here is the table Dave is talking about :

There are two other outputs available.
Don't know how they work though

VVT and Vtec (on/off)

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.