Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydrolic brake switch
bluephil19781

posted on 14/10/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hydrolic brake switch

My kitcar has a hydrolic brake light switch off a T piece in the brake line, mounted connectors facing down. Problem is that you have to literally stamp two feet on the pedal to get any sort of brake light, never comes on when driving normally. Bit worried really beings in sat about 6" from the fuel tank and there's not much protection from a rear ender! Do these switches come in varied sensitivity, are some better than others? or are they just crap? If I change it for another one and bleed the system is it likely to be any better?!?
flibble

posted on 14/10/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't notice any sort of sensetivity rating when I bought mine and it works well, mine faces (nearly) down too.
Chippy

posted on 14/10/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
As you say its close to the fuel tank I assume that you have put it in the pipe to the rear brakes, I think the usual place is in the pipe to the front brake to get the extra pressure. Also I understand that the switch should be mounted facing down so that an air lock doesn't occur over the switch. I personaly dont have one just have the bog standard pedal operated type, much simpler and less hassle IMHO. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

britishtrident

posted on 14/10/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure is pressure. upside down inside out air or liquid.

The problem is that on our type of car the hydraulic line pressure is less than half that of a 1960's tintop and a lot off the aftermarket switches aren't triggered.
Surest way round is fit a mechanically operated switch at the pedal and wire this in parallel with the existing switch.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bluephil19781

posted on 14/10/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thought someone might say this, kinda knew it was the best way to sort it but can't be arsed with the agro!
watsonpj

posted on 14/10/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issue, I moved it into the front circuit and the problem went away as with the bias there s more pressure there. The surest way of fixing it is the mechanical switch but it was easier for me just to swap it on to the other brake line.
beaver34

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
I had the same issue, I moved it into the front circuit and the problem went away as with the bias there s more pressure there. The surest way of fixing it is the mechanical switch but it was easier for me just to swap it on to the other brake line.

Any pics of how you did this?

I have the same issue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.