Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: man attempts to break sounds barrier using only gravity
Mike_82

posted on 14/10/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
man attempts to break sounds barrier using only gravity

For any one thats interested...

120,000ft sky dive, estimated free fall speed to be over mach 1!

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

theconrodkid

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
watching it
good luck !

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

pif

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
wow, that looks like he busted the sound barrier.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

steve m

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I take the Darwin award contender, comment back!

well done

perksy

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Down Safe

Fair play to the bloke that was high

unijacko67

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus, thought he was a gonner when he started spining. Thank god he's ok.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Im curious about the sound barrier claim, is it just that his speed exceeded the speed of sound at sea level, or did he really create a sonic boom?

Either way, looks like he's down ok. I never considered the practical appliaction of this, that the crew of the space station could theoretically evacuate in a similar fashion!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

theconrodkid

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
made it look so easy

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Chuffin impressive! Hat's off to the guy

What the hell must have been going through the man's mind as he stood on that platform

Love the statement though: "I wish you could see what I can see" Bet it was pretty damn special!!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ditchlewis

posted on 14/10/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Awsome just watched it Live on the news. When he fell away from the capsule my heart was in my mouth.

One brave guy.
Ditch

omega 24 v6

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Must have been difficult keeping level with cahoonas that size.
AMAZING.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

loggyboy

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Im curious about the sound barrier claim, is it just that his speed exceeded the speed of sound at sea level, or did he really create a sonic boom?

Either way, looks like he's down ok. I never considered the practical appliaction of this, that the crew of the space station could theoretically evacuate in a similar fashion!

http://www.redbullstratos.com/science/speed-of-sound/

Is it really possible for a human being to break the speed of sound in freefall?

If calculations prove to be accurate, and Felix is successful in his attempts to control his position, he will accelerate from standstill to the speed of sound - that's 0 to approximately 690 miles per hour in 40 seconds or less.

Sometimes shock waves even collide with each other, a phenomenon known as the "shock-shock interaction," creating results that can be similar to an explosion. Fortunately, the impact of shock waves becomes less severe with higher altitude, because air becomes less dense. And once an object passes through that imaginary "sound barrier" to catch up with and surpass the speed of sound, flight is smooth.

[Edited on 14-10-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

slingshot2000

posted on 14/10/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
"I wish you could see what I can see" Bet it was pretty damn special!!

I would hope (and imagine it will), that quote goes down in history for a long time !
Watched it with 12yr old son and he was gob-smacked ! (cannot usually shut him up!).

Regards
Jon

nick205

posted on 14/10/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
watched it live on youtube...pretty damned spectacular! even swmbo stopped yakking when she sat down to watch.

Alan B

posted on 15/10/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched...he had a parachute!!.............the soft bastard.....

Seriously though......amazing feat...well done...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
depending on what you want to believe, ti was not that impressive - here is anothe take on it
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/five-reasons-why-baumgartner-jump-not-great-unless-163435075.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

there's a big difference in that the space station is moving relative to the ground at about 25,000mph where as he was probably less than 100mph across the ground depending on the winds. If the astronauts tried this they’d burn up in the atmosphere much as the space shuttle did as he plowed into the atmosphere, plus they’d not fall in the same way as him jumping out the capsule, instead he’d just float down if he pushed away before turning into a fireball!

Nasa did look at a wearable reentry suit at one time that was like an inflatable balloon with foam at the bottom that burnt away during reentry to absorb the heat but I don’t think it got off the drawing board

Fred W B

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't watched the coverage, and was curious to know if he deployed the parachute manually.

I was thinking that they would have had some sort of remote deployment device in case he did pass out.

Regards

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

40inches

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
I haven't watched the coverage, and was curious to know if he deployed the parachute manually.

I was thinking that they would have had some sort of remote deployment device in case he did pass out.

Regards

Fred W B

The answer is yes to both questions.

And Eurosport may not have been impressed, but I sure as hell was!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
would have been much better had he been sitting in a car or riding a stuffed horse and wearing a cowboy outfit oh that would have made me laugh
bobinspain

posted on 17/10/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
would have been much better had he been sitting in a car or riding a stuffed horse and wearing a cowboy outfit oh that would have made me laugh

The way Top Gear's going, that'll be Hammond's challenge in the next series.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
depending on what you want to believe, ti was not that impressive - here is anothe take on it
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/five-reasons-why-baumgartner-jump-not-great-unless-163435075.html

What a miserable bunch of buggers!

It took a great deal of courage to go up in that balloon, knowing that if something went wrong (or he chickened out) then the best he could hope for was a very rough ride back down in the capsule. Looking at the video of the capsule's return it would have been a VERY bad ride!

When he was standing on that platform he could have seen the whole side of the globe - I would love to have seen that (but not the ride home, thank you!)

snakebelly

posted on 17/10/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
completely agree David, forget the technology, hype etc and the bottom line is that he had the balls to actually climb out and launch himself...i for one salute him if only for his huge spherical objects1
bobinspain

posted on 17/10/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-10/secrets-successful-space-dive

This puts it in perpective. Balloon the size of a football field and the thickness of a dry-cleaning bag, (0.0008".

Joe Kittinger jumped from 102,000ft in 1960 from an open gondola

Baumgartner's balloon needed ten times the volume of Kittinger's to ensure he got to 120,000ft.

etc etc. Interesting stuff.

02GF74

posted on 17/10/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ is it really that different from getting onto an aeroplane? Something goes wrong, the end result is the same.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.