Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: man attempts to break sounds barrier using only gravity
greggors84

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
But when you get in a aeroplane you hope that you will land safely the other side. He got in the balloon knowing that he would have to jump out at the top.

That Eurosport article is terrible, of course his suit was engineered to not to rip, but as nothing like that had been used before, things can go wrong! Its like saying a plane is engineered not to crash with a massive factor of safety so they never do actually crash!

Sounds like someone just trying to get publicity off the back of it by trying to say it wasn't that great without actually having anything to write about. No matter what you say he still went up 25 miles in a balloon and jumped out. Fair play to him for having the balls to do it and fair play to Red Bull for spending that much money on doing this instead of hiring over paid 'celebrities' or sports people to endorse their products like some soft drink companies do.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

bobinspain

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^

If you decompress in an aircraft, you've got emergency oxygen and provided the pilot's not incapacitated, and the aircraft's not catastrophically damaged, there's a good chance of a successful emergency landing. Generally, folk die in the ensuing crash, not in the air. The ground is very hard and unforgiving if you hit it at 150 kts or so.

Baumgartner decompresses on the way up/down, above 60,000ft he dies as his blood boils away. Nothing to do with impact or proximity to the ground, so I think there's a difference. Unless of course either way you end up dead, then there's no difference at all. (don't fancy having the blood boiling though). If I had to choose, it'd be flat out in a vertical dive at 400kts).

ps This was meant for O2GF74. A post snuck inbetween us.

[Edited on 17/10/12 by bobinspain]

SteveWalker

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
would have been much better had he been sitting in a car or riding a stuffed horse and wearing a cowboy outfit oh that would have made me laugh

Come on! Extreme ironing is where it's at!

SteveW

02GF74

posted on 18/10/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
forget the decompression, according to that article it was not going to happen but he had a parachute, that would self deploy in an emergency, people on planes do not have parachutes so basically they are stuffed.

Steve Hignett

posted on 18/10/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Please excuse me if I've missed a glutton of positive/constructive posts in the last few months by 02GF74, because since I was last regularly on and this evening (now I've just lost my job 4 hours ago), but it seems to me that every single one of your posts is something along the lines of petty/malicious/childish/nasty/pathetic/contentious/belittling/bullshit/nonsensical/pointless drivel. And in all honesty it just portrays you as a juvenile short sighted imbecil...

Now granted I may be in a bad mood since being made redundant out of the blue at half four today, but I still find it incredibly grating and crass when someone is as petty and negative as you... Grow up FFS.

Steve
ps I need a job!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.