Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Apparently I am a mad man
femster87

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently I am a mad man

I have put a car for sale on ebay. Somebody won it and started making arrangements for collection. I gave him/her my telephone number 2 twice but they did not call me but kept sending ebay messages about collection. I said until I speak to them I would not give my house address out to some stranger on the internet, particular since through all the communication he/she knew my working hours. There is a fire station opposite my house so I said here is the address I would meet you there. Not saying its opposite my house

This was the delightful response I got

" are you mentally disturbed? or are you on some type of medication? we are motor traders and have been for over 7 years. you are thr weirdest person i have ever come accross. just read your messages or show someone else them and they will tell you you sound crazy."

So what do you think? Am I on some medication. TBH It really made me laugh this morning

Davey D

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
i awlays get a bit nervous too when selling something, and they come round to collect. Just like you said, if you tell them you're at work until 5, then they know where there is an empty house with something they want inside

Maybe they did a postcode lookup, saw the firestation, and thought you were a wanna-be ghostbuster?

whitestu

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
If I'd bought the car and you wouldn't give me the address to collect I'd think it a bit odd!

Whenever I've sold or bought stuff the collection address has been freely disclosed. Having said that I've never given work times though so I can partly understand.

femster87

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly what I thought, what happens If I get back home and the car has gone? or better still house burgled looking for car keys
FuryRebuild

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Also, if someone won't exchange numbers, that's odd. If they're motor traders then equally odd because surely they'll have public facing numbers to work from.

I would contact ebay about this.

Also, be sure you get payment through paypal or other secure service (such as paypal, bank transfer, or go to the bank with them to see the money come out of the cashier's till) - it woudn't be the first time dodgy notes get passed about.

[Edited on 17/10/12 by FuryRebuild]

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
You are perfectly in the right and I think the person replying is being quite rude

I'd have replied back say thanks to their comments they have lost the deal, tough and it’s a wonder they are still in business with such an attitude

Reading it again I'd be very suspicious of the whole thing, it sounds wrong, got a bad feeling about it. Don't think you should give any personal details to them. They may be fishing for locations to rob

[Edited on 17/10/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You are perfectly in the right and I think the person replying is being quite rude

I'd have replied back say thanks to their comments they have lost the deal, tough and it’s a wonder they are still in business with such an attitude

Reading it again I'd be very suspicious of the whole thing, it sounds wrong, got a bad feeling about it. Don't think you should give any personal details to them. They may be fishing for locations to rob

[Edited on 17/10/12 by Mr Whippy]

Ebay do treat a sale as a contract though, so best to go through them to get the deal squashed.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

femster87

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes replied saying, if he wants the car its still here. Just pick up the phone and ring, No replies so far. Have to wait a few days to relist the car
FuryRebuild

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
Yes replied saying, if he wants the car its still here. Just pick up the phone and ring, No replies so far. Have to wait a few days to relist the car

I had a non-paying buyer once, and ebay deleted their account.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

owelly

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
My chum won a car on Ebay so contacted the seller to get the address. He had the cash in his hand ready to go. The seller refused to give any details until the car was paid for in full via Paypal! Needless to say, the deal fell through!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I can sort of understand the buyer.... but before I would provide an address either via ebay or phone I would want a paypal deposit. After that the risk of providing your address and meeting time/date via ebay or over the phone (i.e. prepaid mobiles) is the same.

If I was buying I would never agree to meet someone other than the registered address for the car.

There are risks on both sides so I can understand the buyer especially if they have paid a deposit.

Irony

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I think the buyer is being quite rude and there is no excuse for rudeness. However when buying and selling stuff on ebay I don't like organising it via the telephone. The reason is simply because I like to reply at a time of my choice and I like all messages to be recorded incase of problems. I find it mildly frustrating when the seller/buyer refuses to be contact via email. Still no need to be rude though.
scootz

posted on 17/10/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand both sides, but it's something that can be sorted out easily.

MInd you, I'd be telling him where to go if he sent that message to me.

It's Evolution Baby!

snakebelly

posted on 17/10/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
you can get theretel number via ebay using the seach facility, why not do that and see if its a genuine number? if not then you have more reason to be cautious?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 17/10/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that there is reason for both of you to be a little cautious, especially nowadays. But as Scott said, it can easily be sorted.

Oh, and BTW, regarding your condition....keep taking the pills chap

Forgot to say, if you've run out, I've probably got some spare

[Edited on 17/10/12 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

morcus

posted on 17/10/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
That seems a very odd thing to say to any one and I can't believe a motor trader has worked 7 years and this is the weirdest thing someone has said to him. I've also never been in contact with motor traders who didn't prefer phone contact.

Have a go at seeing if he does have a phone number listed.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

twybrow

posted on 17/10/12 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Two points:

- The 'ebay is a contract'thing DOES NOT apply to cars - read their T&Cs and you will see that
- A winning bidder can automatically request your address - there is a link you can use to view another users information -
see here

I would agree it is a bit odd not giving them your address to pick it up - particularly given the information above, but his response is VERY ott.

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/10/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
My chum won a car on Ebay so contacted the seller to get the address. He had the cash in his hand ready to go. The seller refused to give any details until the car was paid for in full via Paypal! Needless to say, the deal fell through!

The other side to this is what happened to my mate. he sold a car on ebay for £1180, the purchaser came round to collect, walked around it, said ' Not bad, I'll give you £800 for it'. my mate always insists on paypal in full before collection.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 17/10/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Check out his feedback score, see what he's bought historically and read his feedback comments. If he's a buyer with little/no feedback, you're right to be a little suspicious. If I was the buyer though, I would expect you to divulge the collection address via e-mail. Not everyone is comfortable talking to complete strangers via phone and just because you disclose a collection address, doesn't automatically mean that's where you live or even where the car is kept. IMHO, you're being over cautious but having said that, I'd tell the dealer where to go as well if he sent me that reply

Phil

T66

posted on 17/10/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
In the past car theives would browse the autotrader looking for Cossies & Quattros etc to steal, I understand your caution with strangers but this sort of thing isnt too common now.

Two in one burglaries are the way most cars are stolen, screw your house and take the car with the keys you left in the kitchen...

Apart from the idiot questions, Ebay is relatively safe.

femster87

posted on 17/10/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I really do understand, Just wanted to confirm he was who he says he is. But thats a bit too difficult for him
hillbillyracer

posted on 17/10/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'd think it odd if a buyer of something I'd sold & needed to be collected wouldn't speak on the phone, would he have done all his business by letter 15 years ago?!
JoelP

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well i think you're both to blame! I think you are worrying too much about telling him your address. Afterall, if he was a thief he could walk down most roads in the country and find one empty during the day. It would also be an inefficient way for a thief to identify an empty house. On the flip side, there is no reason for him not to ring you, which would solve the whole problem. Now fair enough, it pays to be cautious when large sums of money are at stake (last time i bought a car i went armed to pick it up, spoke to a neighbour first (to check the car was usually present at that address), then felt a complete fool when he turned out to be a normal person selling it), but there does need to be an effort to meet in the middle. If he thinks you are an oddball, then he himself isnt going to be happy turning up with cash.

Just my opinion, no offense and that

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve m

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Personly, i think you are being way way to cautous,

ive sold (plus wife sold stuff) loads on ebay, and so far have NEVER had a problem
my sellings have been 3 cars, one caravan, and about 3 R/c planes at £500 a go, and if somoneon i was buying from, declined there address , for me to pick up up from, thats a big neg feedback

Only shady people, hide there address

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
If the person is interested in buying the car he should contact you by phone,if hes a motor trader he will always have a mobile on him. I dont think you have done anything wrong...
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.