posted on 30/10/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer Build

Any one know if you can build your own trailer for a car

Is there any legal reason you cannot

I'm sure I saw somewhere that new regulations were coming in but not sure when

Any one any info

Thanks

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 30/10/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
look at unijack67's trailer. hes just built it,and its a cracker!

Jimfin

posted on 30/10/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the deadline to complete a trailer under the old regs might have been yesterday !!!! 29th October.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/trailers.asp

Seems to be a whole new IVA process for them - but I might be reading this wrong.

owelly

posted on 30/10/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thankfully, the trailer I'm building was built last year......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unijacko67

posted on 30/10/12 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Thankfully, the trailer I'm building was built last year......

Yeah I built mine a few years ago, honestly officer.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

Wheels244

posted on 30/10/12 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
And the trailer that I plan to build will be built last year.

How on earth could this be policed ? There must be millions of trailers out there with no identifying marks whatsoever.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 31/10/12 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
And the trailer that I plan to build will be built last year.

How on earth could this be policed ? There must be millions of trailers out there with no identifying marks whatsoever.

Just visit any Pikey site!!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

vanepico

posted on 31/10/12 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
Seems like B*llocks to me, a trailer is not a vehicle i.e not a thing for transporting items, without being attached to a ~100bhp car (a vehicle!) and yes, my trailer will be made a few years ago too!

This might help you sell the idea that it was made several years ago! http://www.amazon.co.uk/SPRAY-MUD-LIQUID-REAL-200ml/dp/B005LB8W9O

My next door neighbour made a 3 motorbike trailer from a set of plans in a book

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

jabs

posted on 31/10/12 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Looks as if these regs are designed to cover trailer manufactures, which is a good thing in my mind as a trailer can be a small thing I tow behind my car to a full blown artic. However does not really address 'home' built trailers probably because they know it is impossible to police.

[Edited on 31/10/12 by jabs]

loggyboy

posted on 31/10/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
From 2009, trailers WERE optionally IVA'able.
However depending on the type of build, (Amatuer built coming under the 'complete' category) their are dates for them to become are MANDATORY IVA'able.
The date for Amateur(complete) built trailers is 29th Oct2012

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Guide%20to%20the%20Individual%20Vehicle%20Approval%20(IVA)%20Scheme.pdf

however as stated above, as their is no registration system for trailers, its completely uninforcable for those who built their trailers before those dates!

Mistral Motorsport

Phil.J

posted on 31/10/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy a blank trailer ID plate from Ebay for a few quid. Just stamp it with the data required and rivit it to the trailer A frame, looks pretty convincing!
mcerd1

posted on 31/10/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
even before this IVA carry on (which I have no real problem with apart from the cost and the fact they can't enforce it...) you had to build it out of components they were suitable for the loads being carried etc.
so a roadside VOSA check could still say your trailer is unsuitable for road use, just like any other vehicle (drivers responsibility)

[rant mode on]
not sure how you'd even start enforcing the new rules, but I see a lot of home made trailers here (my work is next to the council skips) and I've seen plenty of doggy examples that should never have been on the road: big ones carrying 2ton+ with no brakes, small ones with no suspension, and all kinds of doggy drawbars and axles….

Seen a lot that use old live axles and leaf springs chopped up - what happens when you take a live axle that has one bearing at the wheel and one at the diff, but them cut out the diff and fit the hub to your trailer with about a 1' long bit of shaft left stuck in the one bearing...
….I know the answer - one lost a wheel as it drove past, the wheel carried on at 30+ mph for 500 yards and missed my car by a couple of feet
and I've seen at least 5 others like it up close (not countig the ones that just rattle past here every day) some even had the leaf springs cut in half and used as suspension arms (attached at one end only, no lateral restraint)
or my favourite 'swan neck' drawbar - made from a vertical 3mm thick steel sheet with no bracing (because you used those massive landrover wheels on the trailer and now you want to hitch it to your fiat panda ! )
[rant mode off]

I'm defiantly not pointing fingers at anyone here - but there are a lot of idiots / clueless people out there
and I'm defiantly not saying that home made trailers should be banned (my dad built at least 5 different ones and until recently I was planning a caravan chassis conversion)
its just that there should be a way of checking that its done right (with out paying a fortune for it)

[Edited on 31/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

Fred W B

posted on 31/10/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Even out here in wild west South Africa all trailers have to have a chassis number, a number plate and be registered on the vehicle database. Annual licence fees have to be paid just like a car.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

vanepico

posted on 31/10/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Even out here in wild west South Africa all trailers have to have a chassis number, a number plate and be registered on the vehicle database. Annual licence fees have to be paid just like a car.

Cheers

Fred W B

If the uk got that arsehole-y i might just boycott something!

Even if it was as simple as you go into a dvla centre and they check it over and stamp a number on it and that is it, make a bright orange 'passed' sticker on the back that must be visible from behind in operation.

It's one more step towards the 'perfect' state, no one can do anything without being worried of losing their licence.

You already run the risk of not being covered in an accident because your wheel bolts aren't standard.....

When you design and sign off an engineering drawing you are liable for any injury caused by that device. Same as if you made a trailer. If i did the stress calculations to the best of my ability i would have no problem being liable for it, but £500 for an iva! Jog on!

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 7/11/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B

Cheers

Fred W B

Same thing happens down here in Oz

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.