Poll: POLL: Paper Gaskets [View Results]
Smear Lightly with instant gasket on both sides and assemble
Smear Lightly withwaterpump grease on both sides and assemble
Assemble Dry
Throw gasket away and use Instant Gasket
Other - Specify
Chuck Engine out and Replace completly as I did my appreniceship in a Modredn car dealers and we wouln't strip down to that level.....

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: POLL: Paper Gaskets
mad4x4

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
POLL: Paper Gaskets

Whats the correct way to use a paper gasket

I will Clean both surfaces then :

Choose from POLL

This time the gasket is for the Timing cover and water pump , but never been totally sure what the correct "taught" procure would be if I was doing an apprenticeship... Say in the early 80's . Guess noways answer is chuck engine in bin and buy NEW.

[Edited on 9/1111/12 by mad4x4]

[Edited on 9/1111/12 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

rodgling

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
When I did my water pump, the old gasket had welded itself to the block, so I left it there and used it again on the new pump, didn't use the new gasket. Worked fine.
dhutch

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Depends in the main how it was designed to be installed and exactly where on the engine it was. But typically I would grease/oil both sides and assemble. I if didnt have a gasket I would most likely use instant, apply, touch in, wait to cure, tighten to full tighness.

Daniel

mcerd1

posted on 9/11/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Depends in the main how it was designed to be installed and exactly where on the engine it was. But typically I would grease/oil both sides and assemble. I if didnt have a gasket I would most likely use instant, apply, touch in, wait to cure, tighten to full tighness.

^^ thats what I was always taught

-

r1_pete

posted on 9/11/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I use a very light smear of wellseal on each side, especially on alloy flanges as they will seal without tightening to the point of distortion.

[Edited on 9/11/12 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 9/11/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Dry for me depending on surfaces. If they're both clean, and free of marks, then the gasket will be enough. If not, a little gasket paste.

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/11/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
depends if you mean the thin paper gaskets (about the same as normal writing paper) or the slightly thicker stuff. Also depends on the surfaces being joined. Some are better tahn others...

Thin gaskets behing engine plates I smear lightly with grease or sometimes wellseal or similar if I suspect there may be an issue.
Thicker types, sometimes dry, but where the surfaces are very poor wellseal again or even a smear on instant gasket.

Varies on what I am presented with.....

pewe

posted on 9/11/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
As r1_pete ^^ Wellseal for my money.
Has the advantage of being non-setting so when it needs taking apart again it's simples.
Failing that a light smear of grease on both sides.
Cheers, Pewe10

coyoteboy

posted on 9/11/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Never had a problem using hylomar either on both sides of a paper gasket or AS a gasket.
Chippy

posted on 9/11/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I was always taught to use grease on both sides, and have always done it that manner, never had one leak yet, and I have done a few. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

clanger

posted on 9/11/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
no grease or lube..........
same effect as the lube in your sump, allows the mating faces to slide against each other, ie reduces friction.
reducing friction on a joint face allows the gasket material to slip between the surfaces being sealed increasing the risk of leakage.
if you're paranoid then "glue" it with hylomar or equivalent. only grease it if you want to take it on and off a million times.

owelly

posted on 9/11/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've built dozens of engines for cars and bikes and built dozens of BIG (36" comp wheel) turbos as well as countless other gearboxes for cars, lathes, plant, etc and following instructions from James Walker ( http://www.jameswalkergroup.com/) during my apprenticeship, paper joints* need nothing but a thin smear of grease.

*Engineers call them joints. Spanner-monkeys call them gaskets!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 12/11/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly*Engineers call them joints. Spanner-monkeys call them gaskets!!

Im an engineer, I call them gaskets...

:p

owelly

posted on 12/11/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Because of that statement alone, I question your qualifications as an engineer!

dhutch

posted on 12/11/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Because of that statement alone, I question your qualifications as an engineer!

Certificates available on demand...

mcerd1

posted on 12/11/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by owelly*Engineers call them joints. Spanner-monkeys call them gaskets!!

me too

one thing I've lernt since I finished uni is the names for components depend on the industry you work in

[Edited on 12/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

v8kid

posted on 12/11/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

and me also!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

dhutch

posted on 12/11/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1One thing I've lernt since I finished uni is the names for components depend on the industry you work in

We have o-rings!

Fred W B

posted on 12/11/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
At my work place we manufacture 26 pressure vessels a day, with maybe 10 to 20 connection points between fittings on each one. We call them gaskets, as do the codes.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

owelly

posted on 12/11/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
You're all wrong and <<fingers in ears>> la la la, I'm not listening...\<<fingers out of ears\>>

dhutch

posted on 13/11/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You're all wrong and <<fingers in ears>> la la la, I'm not listening...<<fingers out of ears>>

Flange...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.