Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crash Helmet
maccmike

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Crash Helmet

Anyone recommend a helmet;

Iv got a Shark RSR but at motorway speed its trying to lift off my head.

rdodger

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
How about trying these?

Arai Helmet Spoiler Kit,GP5,GP5K,SK5,SK6 and CK6

I have the same trouble and am going to try them. A bit cheaper than a new lid!

maccmike

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its a thought
jonabonospen

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
The best advice is to go try several on at a shop and see which ones fit your head shape best. They are not all the same shape inside so some will fit you better than others. One that doesn't fit you very well is likely to move around on your bonce when you aren't wanting it to, like you are experiencing.

Personally I have had AGV and Shoei lids and find that for me they are the best fit. The quality of both has been excellent also. I must say though that the current Shoei that I have is far superior to the AGV I had before when it comes to comfort of the linings, and the quality of the product overall.

Try www.lidsdirect.co.uk

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
maccmike

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with what your saying.
However, the fit is spot on, its a bike helmet but instead of leaning forwards Im reclining back - without a windscreen, so wind is getting under the helmet lifting it up.

sdh2903

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I read somewhere that helmets designed for car motorsport are better for not wanting to rip your head off rather than the bike ones. I have a nitro one and its pretty good but does start to lift at 60+mph

maccmike

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I can easily believe that.
beaver34

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at v2 sport ones, I have the one for open top cars with lower lip spoiler
russbost

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
When I built the first Furore I found that anything over 70-80 mph the wind tried to pull the helmet off my head, I fitted a 3" high vertical screen to lift the turbulence & hey presto, I now have no probs with wind (well apart from when I eat cabbage or beans! )

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
maccmike

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
good shout! cheers
andylancaster3000

posted on 23/11/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
^ As above, same issue with the single seater - killed my neck over a 20min race at Thruxton.

Since fitted a little screen that pokes up vertically about 15mm above the cockpit surround (bit like the F1 cockpit ones) - problem gone..

Have always had the screen below fitted to the locost and don't get helmet lift problems with that either (passenger does though!!)
Lydden Collecting area
Lydden Collecting area

[Edited on 23/11/12 by andylancaster3000]

Slimy38

posted on 23/11/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
That reminds me of when James May drove the V8 Atom. It had a tiny bit of perspex just in front of the driver, and he was saying that it was truly remarkable how something so little can virtually eliminate wind buffeting. You can see them in this picture;

gtr_garner

posted on 23/11/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
i may have to do this tbh, i am suffering from the same thing in the GT1
maccmike

posted on 23/11/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
ordered a V2 Pro. Will post up how it gets on when we get a break in the weather

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.