Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The stigma of 100k
thefreak

posted on 12/12/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
The stigma of 100k

Following on from my post about first cars for young drivers... is there any reason to discount cars with just over 100k on the clock?

The age of the cars we're looking at is between 2002-2004, and I've seen a decent nick 2004 1.2 Ibiza come in budget but it's done just over 100k.

Now my numbers say that's only 12.5k a year, an average mileage and equates to less than 250 miles a week. Less than a tank of fuel.

My thoughts are as long as it's got the service history, it's going to have had all the bits changed that needed to be done already, wheres something with lower mileage, say 1/2 that is going to have sat around a lot more or done a lot more shorter trips.

I'm thinking it's a VW engine and they're usually pretty good. I drive a 2007 A6 and haven't had any issues with it for the past 18 months, or the A4 before then which I clocked up 75k ontop of the 95k I bought it with. However the Seat isn't a diesel, it's the petrol...

Anyone got any thoughts?

Agriv8

posted on 12/12/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I would not bother me for most of europe where they are metric they dont bin a car at 160,934.4km i would think a modern car which has been will looked after to exceed 150,000 miles ( even petrol ) . A further point how much would it cost to drop another engine and gearbox in if it went pop ? if the rest of the car is OK go for it?.

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

loggyboy

posted on 12/12/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hard to say really, its very finger in the wind as you can have a 1000mile high end car have something serious go wrong or you can get a french peice of s*** doing 150k with no complaints.
I am more inclind to say more modern cars with complex wiring, computers etc are not much more likely to go wrong, but are more likely to cost more when they do. So maybe a 20yr old car with 50k would be better than 10yr old car woth 100k, but theres theres things like rust to be concerned with!!

Mistral Motorsport

Bare

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Really? Here in North America 200/300k (Miles) is fairly common mileages even occaisionaly 400k is achieved.
Granted British vehicles are made of Cheese... But 100k life expectancy is a bit lame.

Ninehigh

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think it depends who you talk to. A lot of people (imo) think that 100k is "past its useful life" and thus in the banger territory (read: about to blow up)

I've had several cars go beyond that mark and I've not noticed any difference

whitestu

There should be no reason why a well looked after petrol engine won't do well in excess of 150k.
thefreak

quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Really? Here in North America 200/300k (Miles) is fairly common mileages even occaisionaly 400k is achieved.
Granted British vehicles are made of Cheese... But 100k life expectancy is a bit lame.

Lol. It's a German manufactured car to be fair. Seat is part of the VAG group.

mcerd1

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I ran an 11 year old 60k 106 for 5 years (105k)

replaced it with a 7 year old focus with 79k and I've had that about the same length of time (~126k at the moment)

I'd say that they have both needed similar amounts of work over the year to keep them going
nothing too major: timing belts, sticky brake calipers, clutches, wheel bearings, brake pipes, track rod ends, bushes, dampers...... oh and one sump (the focus at 85k )
its just a couple of bits a year, but after 100k it does seem to be more each year

none of the work was that bad on its own, but when you add it all up it can cost a fair bit (not too as bad if you do the work yorself like me, but it can be a hassle)

if you always changed your car before 100k you'd probably never have do half of those jobs - don't let that put you off though as it also means there are some real bargans out there

but my experence tells me the best of the lot are the 10-15 year old granny mobiles with upto 60k on the clock, the ones that have been serviced twice a year, kept in the garage and only do just enough miles on the daly run to keep everything running properly
I've had two of these now and just wish I could have found a third one

-

emwmarine

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
100k miles is nothing for a modern car if driven on longish journeys.

Just got out of a Mercedes taxi in Rotterdam earlier today which had over 500k km on it. Apparently on original engine and auto box and just ancillaries that have gone wrong. It felt like a newish car to me.

Mind you I had an e220 cdi that was no end of trouble.

I do 25 - 35 k per year and often have cars well above the 100k mark, even an old discovery that I sold at 170k miles a few years ago and I still see driving around.

The 100k mile snobbery thing does exist though, and cars are harder to sell and values are hit above it. There is no real reason for it though and most cars just die from lack of maintenance and general disinterest after they get to around 10 years rather than from any mileage related condition. A 130k mile 10 year old BMW 3 series still needs the same attention that it did at 20k miles yet the yob who owns it isn't ring to spend any money looking after a car that is only worth a few hundred quid.

I would be quite happy getting a high mileage car, if:

1) cheap enough
2) In good condition
3) Obvious signs of being well maintained
4) likely to have been used for long distances rather than stop/start

Building a Dax Rush.

mcerd1

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

well its more like 125 - 150k before its not worth the money to fix them, by which time they are probably 10-15 years old
most motorway crusing rep mobiles could easily do more like 200k+, but in alot less time....

also have you seen how much salt they put on the roads here in the winter ?
the number of pot holes doesn't help either....

I have seen a 350k+ SAAB, but it didn't look or sound all that healthy....

[Edited on 12/12/2012 by mcerd1]

-

andrew

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
if it sounds ok and not smoking a good service and cam belt itll be ok ,
Slimy38

posted on 12/12/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
My Toledo is approaching 160k and I intend to be getting the same again out of it. An Ibiza with 100k on it is probably about halfway through its life.

Just make sure it's had its cambelt changed at the appropriate interval(s), and shows evidence of regular oil changes.

britishtrident

posted on 12/12/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Main dealers regard anything petrol over 60k miles or a diesel over 90k miles as high mileage , the reason is more to do with buyer expectations than anything else. The size/model comes into the equation, smallish high mileage cars are unwanted. In particularly highish mileage small FIATs , Renault Clios and Vauxhalls tend to get dumped straight to market.

Mondeo sized diesels get a bit extra leeway , as do most larger quality cars.

Smaller VW group cars tend attract a premium price over the rest of the grey porridge but however high the build quality SEAT (and Skoda) don't have the full blown VW image so tend to be cheaper than the equivalent VW.

The other factor to keep in mind is road tax band cost , this can vary greatly with year of registration and exact model so can have a big effect on the market value. I have a friend who was given a very low mileage Proton but it costs him £270 a year to tax.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dont get hung up about mileage, condition /service history /not to many owners/the way it drives much more important..
bigbravedave

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I buy cars over 100k miles they usually clear 200k before something expensive crops up. The nice tging about many high milers is the expensive consumables have often been done just leaving bushes bearings and the cheep easy stuff to do
PSpirine

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
My Passat is on 233k miles (TDi)

Original engine, original gearbox, turbo.. original CLUTCH and unworn driver's bolster!!

Had to swap the rear shocks, and the front suspension bushes have been changed at some point, but frankly.. can't complain.

Will do 55mpg all day in floaty comfort, and handles sweeping corners better than my TT. Also, all electrics work. Everything.

100k miles doesn't bother me, but just make sure that things like Cambelts have been changed, as some people will get rid of it just before 100k before doing a major service which might be due..

Brook_lands

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have taken every car I have owned except one well past 100k and bought quite a few with 100K+ on them

Petrols

VW Beetle (1971 version) Bought at 80k sold at 150k
Dolomite Sprint bought at 80k sold at 160k
Subaru bought at 115k sold at 135k

Diesels

Citroen BX bought at 84k sold at 253k
Xantia bought at 115k broken for spares at 225k
Another Xantia bought at 116k currently 233k (and up for sale)
Jaguar S Type bought at 123k and we will see how far it goes.

chillis

posted on 12/12/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
years ago 100k was seen as high milage but then so was more than 10k per year. Cars back then were only durab tested to about 60k.
Times have moved on and when looking for a cheapish, newish car a few years back I looked at an 11 month old Mondeo (ex hertz) with 130k
If the car has worn the miles well, looks good, drives well and has dealer history then there's nothing much to worry about.
Sold the mondeo after owning it for four years and adding another 120k to it. Only ever spent money on servicing and routeen maintenence.
As dealers won't offer much on what they see as above average mileage then there are bargains to be had in this sector of the market that was once ocupied by shady characters and clockers
I've also owned low mileage one owner cars that were a load of C**P.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Benzine

posted on 12/12/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
1. Buy volvo with redblock
2. Accumulate mileage
3. ????
4. PROFIT

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 12/12/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigbravedave
I buy cars over 100k miles they usually clear 200k before something expensive crops up. The nice tging about many high milers is the expensive consumables have often been done just leaving bushes bearings and the cheep easy stuff to do

Same here, current car is a 2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero (HOT) Estate, currently 107,000 miles, still goes like stink
Wifes is a 2001 SAAB 9-3 FPT with a 235 bhp remap, just ticked over 230,000 miles and goes even stinkier

stevegough

posted on 12/12/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Good old US of A!

The home of the huge, V8, V12 and V24 gas-gussler, the ruler-straight road and the 55 mph speed limit.

No wonder your boxes go on to 400K !

He says with a bit of a tongue-in-cheek grin....

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

rick q

posted on 12/12/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Replying from Australia ........ I've owned 7 cars in my 40 years of driving. Apart from an MX5 I had to sell because of a divorce, they've all gone between 3-400,000k before being sold on.

Most were bought with around 100,000k on them. Regular servicing, and let them get warm before you thrash them.

nick205

posted on 12/12/12 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
100k has never bothered me in the slightest. Most cars I've had I've either taken past 100k or bought over 100k.

Swmbo'a current Alhambra wad bought @ 105k, now on 125k and runs like clockwork. I've done the Campbelland servicing plus 2 tyres

My Passat bought @ 60k now 85k is pencilled in for 200k unless I wimn the lottery

Staple balls

posted on 13/12/12 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends on the car itself as far as I can tell.

Last car we had was an N reg vectra we picked up with less than 40k on it, lasted less than 3 months before the rear shocks died, the heater matrix exploded and the head gasket went.

Picked up a 51 berlingo with 100k on it, could do with a set of belts and back brakes sorting, has had a coilpack off the scrappy, but I see it going for a while yet.

coyoteboy

posted on 13/12/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Really? Here in North America 200/300k (Miles) is fairly common mileages even occaisionaly 400k is achieved. Granted British vehicles are made of Cheese... But 100k life expectancy is a bit lame.

From my experience in the US (limited!) your towns are as far apart as the width of our country in places, most UK cars are run start-stop in cold, wet, salty weather with almost no long-term dry spells. Makes a pretty big difference to the lifespan of a car.

That said, I've bought all of my cars at ~100K, never had an issue that wasn't cheap and easy to fix. Not sure I'd be so happy with a 100K BMW as I am with a 100K Peugeot.

[Edited on 13/12/12 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.