Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Corner weight scales
grassracer

posted on 29/12/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Corner weight scales

just wondered if anyone had any experience good or bad with brands of corner weight scale.
I'm in the fortunate position to be looking at purchasing a set for use on our race cars so any pointers would be welcome.
No disrespect to anyone but not really interested in bathroom scales and 3 bits of wood :-)
Thanks in advance

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BobM

posted on 29/12/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've got about the cheapest ones Demon Tweeks sell. So far they've been great, very easy to use, various displays but the one I use mainly is showing the diagonal percentages. Only problem I've had was when I was a couple of kilos underweight at Silverstone and got a ticking off from the scrutes, their scales were showing about 3-4kg less than mine.

The more expensive ones have memories, wireless etc. but frankly for the amount mine get used it really wasn't worth thinking about the extra expense.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Nick DV

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM Only problem I've had was when I was a couple of kilos underweight at Silverstone and got a ticking off from the scrutes, their scales were showing about 3-4kg less than mine.

Bob, after paying that price for a set of scales, I would hope that the difference in weight was down to user error! Either that or the scales at Silverstone are way out!!

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

BobM

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DVBob, after paying that price for a set of scales, I would hope that the difference in weight was down to user error! Either that or the scales at Silverstone are way out!!

Not much scope for user error really! I suppose you could weigh the car on a non-flat surface, or under-estimate the amount of fuel in the tank/pies in belly etc. but that's about it.

If you do some searching you'll hear of a few reports of people being caught out by circuit scales, there's no reason why a circuit weighbridge would inherently be more accurate than a set of computer corner weight scales. Most of them are mechanical scales and 3kg is only 0.5% error. If you were to be DQ'd then you'd ask to see a recent calibration certificate

Not very Locost but very BEC

andrew

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Theres nothing wrong with bathroom scales , ive gone back to them when my scales were stolen , and i get just the same information with a pen paper and calculator ,
Nick DV

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you do some searching you'll hear of a few reports of people being caught out by circuit scales, there's no reason why a circuit weighbridge would inherently be more accurate than a set of computer corner weight scales. Most of them are mechanical scales and 3kg is only 0.5% error. If you were to be DQ'd then you'd ask to see a recent calibration certificate

Bob, the 'user error' was only tongue in cheek I agree about circuit weighbridges, they are probably as consistantly 'calibrated' as are the circuit noise meters which seem to vary from circuit to circuit!

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 29/12/12 by Nick DV]

"The force will be with you, always!"

ernie

posted on 29/12/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone read the December edition MSA circular, it referred to an appeal from a competitor about being underweight at Snetterton. Using his own scales, was overweight, but showed under on Snetts scales and was disqualified.
I vaguely remember that when Sntts scales were tested later they were showing under weight(allegedly could have been the wind rushing through the scroots bay) LOL

He was reinstated in the results

[Edited on 29/12/12 by ernie]

PANDE FIRE & SECURITY SYSTEMS

eddie99

posted on 29/12/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get a great deal on some intercomp scales at the autosport show last year, I'm sure similiar deals will be there again next week.
Can't recommend them enough!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bi22le

posted on 29/12/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I tried bathroom scales and such like. Its hard work, especially for a novice like me.

I should write up a guide for it one day. I took photos and everything.

Dont help the OP quest for dome decent gear but may help searches in the future.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

grassracer

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that, did you buy direct at Autosport or off one of the big suppliers as thats what I was thinking of doing at NEC

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.