Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not the normal pinto water temp sender question
theduck

posted on 1/1/13 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Not the normal pinto water temp sender question

I got some new gauges the other day and went to fit the water temp sender today and it doesnt fit ( the actual sensor is too big) so I have come to the conclusion that I have two options:

1) fit some kind of adaptor to the original sensor location
2) fit the sensor elsewhere

My concerns are that going with option 1 that I will end up not getting proper flow past the sensor so it wont read accurately. Option 2, i'm not sure where I would put it, presumably in one of the coolant hoses, but would this give an accurate reading? I have seen the inline adaptors so could use one of those.

[Edited on 1/1/13 by theduck]

theduck

posted on 1/1/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
another problem with option 2 is every hose adaptor I can find is 1/8npt thread, same as the head, so the new sender still wouldnt fit.

[Edited on 1/1/13 by theduck]

snapper

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Gauge manufacturers often have different sized senders for different engines, ask them.
After market gauges usually work to the same resistance rating, therefore a universal guage off eBay should work.
Oil temp senders are the same as water temp senders

[Edited on 2/1/13 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

renetom

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
temp

Hi
We fitted ours on a T in the top hose
We found that to be accurate as the rad
fan switch kick in at 95 degrees & when the fan kicks in the gauge reads 96 which is near enough
good luck
René

[Edited on 2/1/13 by renetom]

blakep82

posted on 2/1/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
fan switch kick in at 95 degrees & when the fan kicks in the gauge reads 96 which is near enough
good luck
René

That's what I did. Look up rakeway.co.UK, they sell aluminium fittings in every size ever, get someone to weld one in a bit of pipe, and sorted

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 2/1/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
good luck
René

You could say as inaccurate as the rad -- but the gauge should read engine coolant temperature before the thermostat not radiator inlet temperature.
If the sensor for the temperature gauge is in the rad or top hose and the engine is short of coolant or the thermostat is stuck closed or the water pump drive belt fails or totall loss of coolant the temper gauge won't pick it up until the coolant boils.

Top hose & radiator inlet temperature are virtually the same.

Fan switches should go in the rad or top hose because they control the radiator temperature.

[Edited on 2/1/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul Turner

posted on 2/1/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
One major issue having the temp gauge sender on the radiator side of the stat is the fact it will not register the engine temp until the stat opens. If the stat fails closed there is a chance that the gauge will never register the true engine temp, with the stat permanantly closed the engine will overheat and become damaged.

The engine maker puts the sender in the original position for a reason.

umgrybab

posted on 2/1/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've never have a thermostat stick closed. I've probably replaced 8-10 of them in various engines and its always because they get stuck partly open causing the engine to take forever to warm up, then when worked hard they overheat. But you get the gauge reading and warning as the coolant is flowing as the thermostat is open.
Paul Turner

posted on 3/1/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Just because you have not had a stat stick in the closed position does not mean it will never happen. Personally I have never had a stat stick at all although an engine I bought form a scrappie did have a stat in it that was stuck fully open.

If it stuck partly open you will get a reading, if its stck closed you will not.

Get the correct sender to fit in the correct position, they are all available.

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab
I've never have a thermostat stick closed. I've probably replaced 8-10 of them in various engines and its always because they get stuck partly open causing the engine to take forever to warm up, then when worked hard they overheat. But you get the gauge reading and warning as the coolant is flowing as the thermostat is open.

Yes modern (ie 1960s on) wax thermostats tend to open earlier with age but I have changed a lot for sticking closed mainly due to owners sticking Radweld in the system.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.