Egypt holiday

Any tips for our 2 weeks in sharm el sheikh. Thanks. Alan

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Go diving/snorkelling its awesome

ruskino80

posted on 2/1/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
do not allow yourselves to be dragged into a shop for a cup of tea and to meet the family,you will be there untill you buy something.
watch out for the water stations poolside,they refill the bottles round the back of the hotel via there filthy tap.

try really hard to tolerate the incredibly horrible russians

on a positive sakara lager is actually quite nice.

edit to add re the diving,a mate who has just returned from sharm said that there was an increase in shark attacks in the area of late due to a load of sheep carcasses having been dumped at sea.

[Edited on 2/1/13 by ruskino80]

afj

posted on 2/1/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Done plenty of snorkelling and have dived only once in Spain but I really liked it so thats on the list.
Yes ive heard about the local traders What is the best currency to tip in. Sterling. US dollars or Egypt pounds?

Eta. Thankfully our hotel is first choice only so hopefully no Russians, having said that the Germans and Dutch we have met in Spain are incredibly nice.

[Edited on 2/1/13 by afj]

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

T66

posted on 2/1/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Expect to get the sh1ts - so take plenty immodium with you.

The snorkeling is fantastic ! Last hotel I was at had its own boat, for about £15 each we went snorkeling for the day, well worth a punt.

Just pick a good hotel, and take plenty to read. We are going in about 8 weeks, and wont be leaving the hotel complex. This is based on we have been before, and theres nothing to see but desert.

In peak summer expect 45c +

If your taking daughters, expect for them to be pestered by the local men. Likewise the locals have a living to make, so will pester you to death to buy something.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother going to Cairo unless you really need to see a pile of unfinished buildings surrounded by 12" of rubbish.
If you do end up looking at the 3 kings and the dodgy looking cat DO NOT HAVE YOUR PICTURE TAKEN WITH THE LOCAL! He will want money for the pic and when you say no he will grab your camera/phone untill you pay him.
DO NOT GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO ANY BODY BUT THE HOTEL!!!!! If asked for it as deposit for rental of any thing like quad, buggy,scuba gear,car, then walk away!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Id imagine with the state of their currency that they would want tipping in $ but ive no idea if thats the norm. Simple solution is dont tip!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

afj

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Id imagine with the state of their currency that they would want tipping in $ but ive no idea if thats the norm. Simple solution is dont tip!

Don't tip. Arrgghhh I don't want a turd cocktail with a jizz chaser

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jossey

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get eaten by sharks

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Don't tip. Arrgghhh I don't want a turd cocktail with a jizz chaser

Your cocktail as above wont make any difference, as you will be wizzing out your arse anyway from day 2

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much everything has been covered I reckon.

I've been to Cairo several times (with work) and the Pyramids are worth a visit, but don't accept any 'guides' etc. We had one follow us round all day rabbiting on about this cave and that Pyramid only to ask us for money for the guided tour at the end of it! Told him to sling his hook!

Be VERY careful with what you eat/drink, I ended up with dissentry first time I went!! just from drinking tea which you would think is OK as it's made with boiling water

I never have salad, ice cream, and only eat fruit that needs peeling first.

Apart from that, enjoy, have a great time and make the most of the sunshine

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

theduck

posted on 2/1/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Been 3 times, never had the shits and have a 'sensitive' gut. Use bottled water for everything except washing your hands and taking a shower and avoid eating fresh fruit and veg that will have been washed. Anything you have to peel will be fine (bananas, oranges etc).

Excursions to the pyramids are a VERY long day if going by coach, you can fly but it is expensive.

Snorkling and diving are fantastic.

Quad bike excursion is great fun, last time I went my dad who was 20stone and 66 at the time came with me and loved the quad biking.

You can also visit Petra from there and that is a once in a life time experience that I highly recommend.

As for what currency to take, Egyptian pounds is simplest as everything will be priced in it, however they prefer english pounds and US dollars as they get better exchange rates on it then you will, so either memorise the exchange rates or take egyptian pounds.

If all inclusive and you want the bar to stay open longer, or get served more drinks than normally allowed, tip the bar staff well.

rayward

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
forget the immodium, you will get the sh1ts but go to a local pharmacy they're own stuff works much faster

as said, dong get dragged into the shops its a nightmare

hope this helps
Ray

SeanStone

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a terrible place to go on holiday.....South of france? sicily? greek islands? even turkey??

sounds like a festerting s**t hole!!

richardR1

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Was there for 2 weeks in early November and had a fabulous time. I think the most important thing is to choose your hotel carefully and this will avoid many of the potential problems. We stayed at the Reef Oasis Blue Bay resort and it was excellent. Also prepare to accept that a 5* hotel over there is probably what you would expect a 4* to be in Spain etc. We mainly stayed on the complex with only a couple of taxi trips into Naama Bay and the Old Market just to see a bit of variety. The snorkelling is fabulous and our hotel was well set up in that respect. We didn't have a single stomach upset and we ate plenty of ice cream and salad, our hotel used a proper cleaning solution for washing salad and fruit and we were absolutely fine. Weather was fabulous and we just had a very chilled 14 days mainly with a Kindle in hand.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

A1

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
trade in usd and halve whatever they want for something then work down from there.
skodaman

posted on 3/1/13 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Don't try to bring any of the fish back alive. (Been there done that couldn't afford the T-shirt etc.)

Skodaman

coyoteboy

posted on 3/1/13 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
A close friend tells me that if you visit with a woman she should expect to be leered at constantly by locals but it's a really really nice place.
blue2cv

posted on 3/1/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I was offered 4 camels and some chickens for my now ex, her face was a picture as i made out i was considering the deal
afj

posted on 3/1/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Dont think id even get a rancid goat for my missus

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Davegtst

posted on 3/1/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Don't drink the water, don't have ice, don't have salad. Wash your hands every time you touch money, alot of eygptian men keep it down their pants so it doesn't get nicked! You will be ill!
britishtrident

posted on 3/1/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Beware the political situation in Cairo the resorts should be OK unless the terrorist threat suddenly gets worse.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

myke pocock

posted on 3/1/13 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
'Ell, sounds like a real hoot. I think not!!!!
bobinspain

posted on 3/1/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
We did the Nile Cruise week, plus a week in the Luxor Hilton. That was 21yrs ago, and local trouble was rife, so the cost was relative peanuts. Given that the 'Civilisation' is 3,500yrs old, I don't expect things will have changed that much in the intervening period. We did the obligatory Cairo sketch by jumping on a train at Luxor and journeying up overnight. That was an 'experience,' (but then so too is colonic irrigation).

Cairo museum was eye-popping. Pyramids an experience but not worth 9hrs each way on the train to go and see.
Luxor to Aswan cruise was utterly stunning. The most enjoyable holiday ever. I'm no 'culture-vulture,' but it was like an intellectual Disneyland, with its myriad attractions all genuine and free. Luxor and Hepshatsut temples, Tutankhamun's tomb etc were simply awesome (and I use the word correctly, not as American vernacular).

We took the 1hr flight to the Temple at Abu Simbel too. I'd go again in the blink of an eye. 'Gee-whizz' achievement in building/moving the whole thing. Superlatives abound, and rightly so.

Funnily enough, we were only talking about repeating the whole thing a few weeks ago, (we went in january too). I'd check with Embassy advice and go off what they recommend.

I have a pal who was chief pilot for a Sharm businessman, based in Sharm. He loved the social life, a major part of which revolved his diving exploits, not all of them underwater !

owelly

posted on 3/1/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Having been to Sharm once or twice on diving holidays my hotel tip is to tip on the first day you're there. I tipped the kid who carried my bags up to the hotel room one Egyptian pound. From then on I got fresh fruit, choccy bars, bottles of pop etc every day. All my washing from the previous week from living on board a dive boat was washed and returned ironed and the room was always full of fresh flowers. My mate who doesn't believe in tipping, got nothing. He had to ask every day for fresh towels.
All the other stuff has been covered.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.