Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody Jessops!
scootz

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody Jessops!

Bought the old man £1200 of vouchers for Xmas and they've gone into administration! Shops still open, but not 'honouring' vouchers!

I've told him to send them down to me and I'll walk into my nearest shop, pick up £100 worth of goods from the shelves, slam the voucher down on the desk and walk out! He won't let me (and as I'm still his wee laddie, then I'll have to do as I'm told!).

Thieving buggers!

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I Hope you mean £120 .....

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

pewe

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
That's a fricking nightmare.
When you say you bought them didn't by any chance use a credit card?
If so you may be able to claim back from the credit card company.
Slim chance I know but that's a lotta money to lose.
Cheers, Pewe10

morcus

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunatly though, thats how it works. They aren't allowed to honour them until they've paid off every bigger debt, and if they could do that then they wouldn't have the problem in the first place.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jossey

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
As above? £120?

How can they not honour vouchers check online and try but something

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
puma931

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing happened with Comet, but after a day or so they (administrators) started to honour the gift cards / vouchers.
matt_gsxr

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
did you buy them on a credit card? If so you might have some level of insurance.
loggyboy

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
No offence, but why buy gift vouchers? Ive never seen the point in them. Just give cash!

Mistral Motorsport

scootz

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Typo! It was £100!

Bought using paypal... not sure what their policy is for firms entering admin.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
No offence, but why buy gift vouchers? Ive never seen the point in them. Just give cash!

Cos he shops (shopped!) a lot in Jessops and it seemed just that little bit more 'personal'.

It's Evolution Baby!

ReMan

posted on 10/1/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Typo! It was £100!

Bought using paypal... not sure what their policy is for firms entering admin.

Is your Paypal funded by a credit card?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

scootz

posted on 10/1/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly not... debit card.

It's Evolution Baby!

splitrivet

posted on 10/1/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Theyve been in dire straits for years, it was only a matter of time. Talking to a guy in the industry a couple of years back he said the company has always alledgedly been badly run alledgedly.
I would think you'd be covered by paypal if not the credit card company you would have been by credit card co for sure but dont know if paypals involved.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

ReMan

posted on 10/1/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I expect that you'll find that Paypal wont cover such a purchase, (doubt they'll cover anything that costs them)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mark chandler

posted on 10/1/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Vouchers are just a way of shops flogging product on credit cards, even better as they have your money and stock !

So people struggling towards Christmas cannot afford to give cash in an envelope so extend themselves (I'm not saying this is the only reason, as Scootz has said, it is also more personal so shows you have thought about the gift), the reality is cash.

It does work for the punter as you do not get charged for effectively withdrawing cash if placed upon a credit card so max 60 days credit is possible, although not at the shops expense.

Regards Mark

coyoteboy

posted on 10/1/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cold hard world of commerce folks, that's the risk you take.

Personally never buy vouchers anymore, no point buying someone something that invariably has a use-by date (my biggest bug-bear), can only be spent in one shop and has the risk of becoming worthless if anything happens to said shop. Just give them universally acceptable cash and print/draw/write a note to explain what you'd like them to spend it on, far more personal.

And people stretching themselves on credit card is a bad idea too, no wonder the world's in a state of demise, it's just bloody Christmas, not worth putting yourself in debt for!

Bahhh humbug. Think it's time I got some food in me, my grouch has come out!

owelly

posted on 10/1/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
If I get gifted cash, it goes in my wallet and dissolves into shopping, fuel, chips etc. It never gets used to buy myself a gift. Likewise, a xheque goes into my bank andeases the overdraft until the next bill eats it. There's more chance you'll spend a voucher in thevway it was intended. That's why I still have a bundle of Love 2 Shop vouchers and no diesel in my car....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianclark1275

posted on 10/1/13 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
If I get gifted cash, it goes in my wallet and dissolves into shopping, fuel, chips etc. It never gets used to buy myself a gift. Likewise, a xheque goes into my bank andeases the overdraft until the next bill eats it. There's more chance you'll spend a voucher in thevway it was intended. That's why I still have a bundle of Love 2 Shop vouchers and no diesel in my car....

couldn't agree more !

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

puma931

posted on 11/1/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
At work we have a portal that gives you discount on gift cards (5% @ JS & Asda, 6% @ M&S, 8% @ B&Q etc). You get the discount when you top-up the card online e.g. £100 of credit added to a JS card costs you £95, and you keep the card an just top it up as and when required. Really usefull way of saving money on everyday shopping, plus you also earn ponts on online shopping

I would not buy a HMV card though....

coyoteboy

posted on 11/1/13 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
You lot need more self control then

I actually usually need control in the opposite direction, I'll spend the voucher plus a load, then worry about fueling the car later

bartonp

posted on 11/1/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Sadly not... debit card.

Worth enquiring of the bank that provided the debit card - some are covered (yes, I didn't know that either until recently). Only fly in the ointment may be Paypal as 3rd party.

Phil.

iank

posted on 11/1/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just got worse http://www.jessops.com/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coyoteboy

posted on 12/1/13 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Poor customers. What a nightmare.
scootz

posted on 12/1/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Registering a claim. If you are owed money by Jessops (e.g. due to vouchers not honoured, deposits, returns, pre-paid courses etc) you can register an unsecured creditor claim with the administrators using the form on the PwC website (http://www.pwc.co.uk/jessops). Please note, there is no guarantee that there will be any payment to unsecured creditors of the company. If there is a dividend paid, this will be in many months time and is likely to be only a small proportion of the claimed amount.

Thieving bastards! I don't believe for a second that they didn't know it was all going tits-up pre-Xmas, but they kept selling the vouchers!

I wish the old man had just given me the vouchers when I'd asked so I could have walked in and just taken something to the value.

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/1/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
You may have some purchase protection with Paypal (also thieving gits).

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/06/are-your-paypal-purchases-protected-256720/

£100 threshold and undoubtedly a process that will test the patience of a saint.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.