Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi TT Brakes - confused!
PSpirine

posted on 23/1/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Audi TT Brakes - confused!

I need the Locostbuilders' collective brain power to help me with this one:

My TT has been sitting for a few weeks. I just got some winter wheels and tyres for it, put them on and took it for a test spin.

Came up to the first junction and the brake pedal went practically to the floor. Very long travel, brakes engaging at the end. Will still lock wheels up into ABS but this is on relatively slippery roads.

First thought.. air in the fluid. Pump the pedal up - no joy, the pedal doesn't pump up.

Then thought.. fluid escaped somewhere - checked cylinder, it's on Max, no movement at all.

Servo broken? Then it would've either been a really stiff pedal, and in any case shouldn't affect pedal TRAVEL length.

So, before I start crawling under the car in the snow, could anyone offer up any suggestions?

Keep in mind this happened after about a month's worth of the car standing, and isn't something that gradually got worse, it just happened. And since then hasn't deteriorated or improved (only drove it for a couple of miles).

Thanks,

Pavs

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 23/1/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
maybe a knackered slave?
wylliezx9r

posted on 23/1/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly the ABS pump, massive weak point on modern VW/Audi's. The problem is they dont show up a fault code untill on last legs.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

PSpirine

posted on 23/1/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
But what's happening to all the fluid through such long pedal travel? It must be going somewhere. Knackered slave might explain it but I would've thought the pedal would just stay down and not return?

Thanks,

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 23/1/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
abs pump sticking valves . light tap with hammer on pump assy and poss change brake fluid (Flush out) bleed brakes with engine running hope that works...
britishtrident

posted on 23/1/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
As there is no apparent fluid loss the candiates are either air in the system or the master cylinder fluid passing fluid back to the resevoir.

My money is on the master cylinder, first try putting pressure on the pedal by pushing the pedal very gently and really s-l-o-w-l-y. If the pedal sinks very slowly while the fluid level rises slightly then the recuperating seal or seals in the master cylinder is/are shot.

The other test for the master cylinder is to disconnect the pipes and blank the holes off with bleed niplpes after a very quick bleed the pedal should be rock solid -- remember to re-connect the pipes after this test.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chrism

posted on 23/1/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Might be a stab in the dark have you checked that nothing has happened to the connection between the master cylinder and the brake pedal itself, theres usually a pivot/clevis pin, if your some reason its snapped/come loose then the connection could be moving up the pedal when pressed and not pushing against the master cylinder correctly, if that makes sense.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.