Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scrap engines, any value?
steve m

posted on 24/1/13 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
scrap engines, any value?

I have at long last deceided to get rid of all the scrap/blown up , or well buggerd engines and bits
Before i take them all down the tip, is there any scrap value that i can get on them?

It wouldnt take to long to seperate them into cast, steel, aluiminium,

Steve

loggyboy

posted on 24/1/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
mixed metal is about 150-200 a tonne, so expect 20 quid for an engine. dirty alum is a little more, so maybe add £5-10 for a head and various mounts etc that might be alum.
(prices based on a weigh in I did a 5-6 weeks ago.)

Mistral Motorsport

MikeRJ

posted on 24/1/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you can separate the aluminum and steel/iron parts then you will get a fair bit extra for scrap.
spiderman

posted on 24/1/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Scrap prices can vary quite a bit from £100 to £200+ also phone around your local scrap dealers for the best price. The closest one to my work only pays half of what the one the other side of town does so for the sake of a few miles which one do you think I use. Also if you are there you may be able to buy someone else's scrap which may be of use to you, of the two I mentioned earlier one will sell you stuff, one won't, guess which one. It is surprising what people will throw away, I bought 3 sheets of 8x4 16swg aluminium to do all my body panels for £10 each and as he was paying me for some scrap I took down there it worked out very nicely indeed.

Spider

mcerd1

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
iron engine blocks are good for mooring boats from

-

designer

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

iron engine blocks are good for mooring boats from

And they make a very good, poor mans anvil!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chillis

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends what the engines are and whether there are any components that could be re-used. Blow ups - did you do a proper job ie grenaded them

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Garyd

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
What engines are they? Old ones like x flows
Still go for good money on e bay. Even when in bits

deezee

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just incase you didn't know ( I didn't) Rules have changed for scrap now. You'll need ID, proof of address and bank details. To combat gypsies and the such. Money is either cheque or bacs payment to your account. Only takes a few minutes to do, but they won't pay otherwise.

stevegough

posted on 25/1/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Just incase you didn't know ( I didn't) Rules have changed for scrap now. You'll need ID, proof of address and bank details. To combat gypsies and the such. Money is either cheque or bacs payment to your account. Only takes a few minutes to do, but they won't pay otherwise.

Have to second this one - I weighed in my junk a couple of months ago and the rules changed the following week. Ring and check first.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

bigfoot4616

posted on 25/1/13 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
couple of plumbers i know aren't to happy about the changes, the scrap copper was a nice little earner for them.

the new rules don't apply to cars though

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/1/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thank goodness new rules have come in. Three lead thefts from the local school.

Sounds like it is pretty easy to satisfy the rules if you aren't breaking the law or tax evading.

bigfoot4616

posted on 25/1/13 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
i can't see it making much difference, if your the sort of person who steals the scrap you'll probably know a dodgy scrap man who will take it of you.
the law breakers will always find ways round these rules and i wouldn't class a bit of scrap copper for cash as tax evading, its not like they don't pay enough of it.

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
i can't see it making much difference, if your the sort of person who steals the scrap you'll probably know a dodgy scrap man who will take it of you.
the law breakers will always find ways round these rules and i wouldn't class a bit of scrap copper for cash as tax evading, its not like they don't pay enough of it.

Send the dodgy scrap men down (my local scappy) http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10121993.Men_charged_after_raids_at_scrap_yards/
They will charge on the costs of the scrap (probably with a markup).

People choosing when its tax evasion isn't a good way to run a system, as everyone selects their particular fiddle to be acceptable.

loggyboy

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
The new rules are BOLLOCKS - as you can still get cash if you tell them you are of no fixed abode!

Mistral Motorsport

Ninehigh

posted on 25/1/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
The new rules are BOLLOCKS - as you can still get cash if you tell them you are of no fixed abode!

Which begs the question, what's a tramp doing with 30 yards of copper and a sackful of flat lead plates?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.