Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scaffolding costs
nick205

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Scaffolding costs

Trying to estimate the costs for scaffolding a medium sized detached house to allow roof and chimney repairs and replace all upstairs windows.

Can anyone advise?

(I have tried the web, but I'm not finding anything too useful at the moment!)

Locost_col

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I guess location may affect prices, I'd expect around 5 - £600 up here
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Recently had full scaffolding on a 3 story Victorian detached house (granted its a bit bigger than "medium"... With access to paint all windows, top half timbered floor and gable ends... cost around £4000. (access is a bit tricky as the house is above the main road so everything had to be carried in.

Cost of install was pretty high but the ongoing rental, had we wanted another month, wouldn't have been vastly more in comparison.

Took a fair while to get any company to actually give us a reasonable quote (or a quote at all)....

On a side note...never, ever volunteer to paint the windows/woodwork on a house that size.... due to the weather it took me nearly 4 weeks....scraping, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, undercoating, painting... ARGHHHH

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

owelly

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I re-roofed my garage which was 20'x30' and to scaffold 3 sides with one vevel plus some up the gable end was £1200. Thankfully I managed to get 'mates rates' and paid cash to get the price down to £700....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you are replacing the windows with internal glazed uPVC you can do them from inside the house then just use a ladder when you seal round them. I replaced three on the back of our house and hired an aluminium tower for a week (£50 including delivery) to do the chimney and point the gable end.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 27/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Regain....you're scaring me....quite a lot!

I was hoping for less than £1k.

If it was just windows I'd go with a tower, but the roof needs a lot of work (probably strip, refelt and batten) as does the chimney so scaffolding seems the best option. It also gives a good opportunity to reprint and make the window replacement easier.

rpm

posted on 27/1/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
depending on your house layout you'll need a boarded roofing lift with possibly a hop up for the chimney to do the roof repair and a lift for the window repairs, alternatively you could do the roof repairs and then get the scaffolding adapted for the windows. either way going by prices down here i'd be surprised if you get away with less than £1500

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.