Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just the two ipads for the kids then....
FASTdan

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just the two ipads for the kids then....

Whilst out over the weekend for a friends birthday myself and my wife were chatting to a couple with a 5 and 7 year old who's birthdays were coming up. They informed us that they were getting an ipad - I was quite surprised at this given the price of an ipad and age of the kids, however fair enough, each to their own, I dont have kids, cant really comment etc. but what really took the biscuit was when they clarified they were getting an ipad EACH!!

WTF?! As I say we dont have kids yet, but is that really where things are at these days? If so I dread having my future children requesting such things because every other kid at school has. I dont even have a tablet myself lol!!

So what are peoples views on this? Is this normal now lol? Of course it was justified with the usual weak 'its educational' argument.....so is an abacus

Im getting old....

[Edited on 4/2/13 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
sdh2903

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, we just finally caved in and bought my eldest daughter a tablet for Xmas, ,however it was a nexus 7 at 160 quid and she is 10. No way would I give a 5 year old a 400 quid iPad.

Agriv8

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
We have the wifes IPad in the house and it is shared between the 4 of us. The 2 year old is very proficient ( unlock and get to Lego App ) dont thing I would be getting them one each as leaning to share is important IMHO. But if they both wanted one for christmas and were happy to use their money or that from parents. I guess I would let them.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

olimarler

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its sadly not unusual!

I used to be a teacher and quite often saw this on a daily basis.

Its scarey how the kids learn how to use them too. My two year old asks for the ipad and knows how to look at pictures and how to watch the films etc. I'm dreading the day he asks for his own.

You mention educational etc I bet most of the kids arent using them for educational reasons. Some parents will buy anything to shut up their children for a bit.

Oli

snakebelly

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
im involved in education IT, and im its worst critic, the amount of reliance on it in education these days is ridiculous. to buy kids that age an ipad each imo is stupid, they wont appreciate the value of them and it will just reinforce the total lack of face to face interaction that kids these days seem to suffer from.
just my take on the situation and im sure others will disagree.

vanepico

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have kids but I am from the computer generation, and I am worried that now you won't play with toys, you'll just have one electronic device that you can do everything with, I'm sure it'll just end up being an excuse for not spending time with the children, give them an electronic device for them to numb their brains on.

Buy them the equivalent price in lego and I promise you they will become excellent engineers!

We weren't even allowed TVs in our room as a child! Closest I got to electronics was a Nintendo Gameboy Colour!

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

FASTdan

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
im involved in education IT, and im its worst critic, the amount of reliance on it in education these days is ridiculous.

Yes my wifes a teacher (but in a deprived area, so non of this middle class white rangerover mentality) and whilst its not the most well off school it sometimes surprises me what she tells me they have in terms of hardware.

I also suspect it will be a further nail in the coffin of 'practical' skills as children are learning on screens rather than using physical objects etc.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
splitrivet

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Went for a meal last week at a local boozer with my lad and 2 grandsons one of which bought his laptop with him and the other an ipad.
At the table next to us there were 4 kids each with ipads and iphones, so it seems the norm sad to say.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

balidey

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
My kids are happy to occasionally use my £100 Kindle Fire.
Would I buy a child under 12 an Ipad? No.

But you are missing the point here. Its so that the parents can tell other people how great parents they are because they love them so much as to buy them an Ipad each. imagine the therapy needed if they need to share. or god forbid have to 'make do' with an android.
My wifes friends bought their kids a netbook to share. She found this out by accident.
She has some other friends who have bought their kids ipads each. But she is told about this several times, mainly on facebook updates. YAAAAAAWWWWNNNN.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Not Anumber

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
£ 60 worth of Chinese tablet PC would probably do most kids.
whitestu

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've got three kids and it is a constant battle. My eldest who is 10 has an Ipad, which was as an incentive for working so hard for his 11+. We severely limit all the kids time on any computing / gaming device as they would just play them all day if left to their own devices.

The Ipad does get used as an ereader locked in guided access mode so no games can be played!

There is lots of peer pressure particularly amongst boys to have the the latest games system, and the cost of some of the games is horrendous - I think Skylanders on the Wii costs best part of £300 just for the game and all the figures without the console!

If I could uninvent electronic games I would.

Stu

nick205

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
3 kids, 7, 4 and 4. They would be on my work iPad all day if allowed and if not that then SWMBOs Nexus 7 or either of our phones playing angry birds. Screen time is strictly rationed and generally a reward for homework or good behavior.

As to buying them iPads or similar, not at this age!

loggyboy

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
My 2 year old already knows how to unlock by tab2, find youtube and and play humpty dumpty with virtually no assistance. Its another world now - I personally couldnt justify the cost for 1 pad each though!

Mistral Motorsport

bowood14

posted on 4/2/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I went on Holiday the wife said why don't you take your iPad no says I it might get damaged or stolen. While waiting at customs in front of us were two young kids under 10 both playing on their iPads !!!
MakeEverything

posted on 4/2/13 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Technology has advanced significantly from the good old abacus, and the iPad has a lot of educational properties, though there are cheaper alternatives.

The way i see it, is if we dont get our kids involved with the modern technology, then it will overtake them and they will struggle in later years. For example, there are quite a few people of my generation that dont know how to use computers, and there is a lot of "Don't understand T'Computers" because of a lack of exposure or willingness to understand them.

My kids have computers and can use my iPad when i let them, though mine is more of a work toy rather than carrying a laptop and notebook as we all used to 5 years ago, and without a doubt it is benefiting them with the computer / internet focused educational system that has changed from when we were at school. Everything has moved on, so they (we) need to move with it, unfortunately.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Ninehigh

posted on 4/2/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
More money than sense by the sound of it

r1_pete

posted on 4/2/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately many many kids growing up now, know the price of everything and the value of nothing!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 4/2/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I need to get another ipad, as since buying one for myself, i have yet to use it!!
Bloody wife has it 24/7, and gets the hump, if i want to use it/take it to work etc

As for my 2 yr old Grandaughter, using it, shes probably better than me!!

Spud1985

posted on 4/2/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
We've got an iPad Mini and an iPad 2 which our 2yo uses for puzzle games, watching Kids programmes, etc but I wouldn't buy one for her use solely. however it is her Birthday in a few weeks and we have just got her a leappad, which took her of all about 2 minutes to work out how to use it, frightning how quick they pick things up.
Proby

posted on 4/2/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I got fed up with my kids arguing over my ipad. I purchased them both a galaxy tab 2 for christmas. One is 5 and the other was 7 last week. There are some great educational apps without a doubt. They also have an acer revo set up in tthe corner of the living room, which they both use freely. Technology is advancing fast, and my 7 year old can connect to wireless networks and mount iso's on virtual drives!
I agree that I need to kick them out of the house to ride there bikes, kick a football, play on the park etc and get some fresh air!

Visit GraphicMonster

smart51

posted on 4/2/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
We have an iPad between us. My 4 year old can use it well but it's kept out of arms reach unless he is being supervised. There's no way I'd give him one. Even when he's a bit older he'll be rationed time on it.

rf900rush

posted on 4/2/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
My kids 7 and 9 got Chinese Androids for Christmas.
I even had a small moan at the wife regards the Idea.
But now they have the, I have come round to the idea.

I have also built them their own PC for the from donated and spare parts.
Can not believe how fast the learn.

My eldest (9) has down's syndrome. and even he has surprised me how much he has learnt.

But there use is regulated, and they still get a lot of out door play.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
acb2713

posted on 4/2/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Our national elections are due on the 9th of March.
The two main political parties here in Malta are trying to outdo each other in handing out freebies, tablets being one of them.

First we had the Labour Party making their announcement: Labour to give tablet computer to all Year IV children

This was followed the very next morning by the Nationalist Party: PN electoral programme highlights: tax cuts, business incentives, tablets for students, night tariffs

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by acb2713]

afj

posted on 4/2/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear. Mmmmmm heres my 7 year olds list. 50cc petrol gokart, iPad , iPod touch, Nintendo 3ds xl ,Sony digital camera, Sony camcorder, laptop computer, tv DVD combo and a nice little iPod dock forgot the wii and the ps3

[Edited on 4/2/13 by afj]

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

nick205

posted on 5/2/13 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
Oh dear. Mmmmmm heres my 7 year olds list. 50cc petrol gokart, iPad , iPod touch, Nintendo 3ds xl ,Sony digital camera, Sony camcorder, laptop computer, tv DVD combo and a nice little iPod dock forgot the wii and the ps3

[Edited on 4/2/13 by afj]

My 9 yr old nephew writes his Xmas list of in the form of Argos,catalogue numbers!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.