Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ESP Light MOT failure?
mookaloid

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
ESP Light MOT failure?

Please can anyone tell me if an ESP light being illuminated is an MOT failure? car is a 2001 Beetle.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
One our Audi A3 (2003 I think) the light has been on for years and it doesn't seem to be an MOT failure.
I was surprised because I thought the rules had changed.

It is a standard problem with A3, Golf and I guess Beetles.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/13 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently has now been included

Electronic Stability Control

Checks of anti-lock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

AA advice kinky

[Edited on 6/3/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 6/3/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impresion that has gone from 'not tested' to 'failure' if fitted to the vehicle. When the new MOT regs came in ( not sure when that was /is )

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 6/3/13 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

tegwin

posted on 6/3/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have Vag-Com to find out where the fault is.... possibly just a sensor or something simple to fix!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mookaloid

posted on 6/3/13 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chaps

It's a car my daughter is thinking of buying so I think as part of the deal I will insist on a visit to the VW dealer to diagnose.

Apparently today it isn't an MOT failure but it is part of the new regs - only the testers don't know when it will actually become a fail.

adithorp

posted on 6/3/13 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Was supposed to become a failure item in May (?) this year, but I think it wasn't implemented.

It's usually an ABS pump/ECU fault... and expensive.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JAMSTER

posted on 6/3/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
brake light switch ???
tegwin

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAMSTER
brake light switch ???

Yeah, brakelight switches and steering wheel position sensors seem to be the usual suspects..

Vag-com cables can be had off ebay for a few quid and the software found freely if needed... sure you can get it sorted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

beaver34

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
is it the spinning wheel one?

if so ours come on and off on th odd occasion and is triggered by the maf sensor on ours would you belive, spilt breather pipes have been replaced which is known for causing the light

now it comes on once every 3-6 months not every other day

britishtrident

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
It is probably the reason the car is up for sale, this type of fault can be a b@&^%*^ to pin down.
Even if you get the fault code in my experience fault code rarely point directly to the faulty component.
I would advise unless the seller fixes it before sale walk away.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know how the VW system works, but on my Mondy you can turn it off (why?) and it will remain off, untill switched back on,

Despite ignition off an on

hasnt been switched off by mistake has it?

Steve

Wadders

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
As suggested walk away unless seller gets it sorted. Worse case scenario ABS pump could be shot.
The light came on on my old T5 and VW quoted me £1400 + vat just for a pump, no labour included, i ended up getting it fixed another way but it still cost approx £500 and was a nightmare to sort.

Al.

beaver34

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
As suggested walk away unless seller gets it sorted. Worse case scenario ABS pump could be shot.
The light came on on my old T5 and VW quoted me £1400 + vat just for a pump, no labour included, i ended up getting it fixed another way but it still cost approx £500 and was a nightmare to sort.

Al.

its not abs related abs has its own warning lamp on the beetle

britishtrident

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would speculate the wheel sensor signals gofirst to ABS then the ABS provides the signals to the ESP.
On Bosch ABS systems it is not unknown to finf the multi-pin electrical connector to the ABS unit corroded due to water ingress and this causes problems.

[/I]

bashracing

posted on 6/3/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
just to go back to the original question re, mot failure, not at the moment but new regs are due to be enforced from the 6th of april, unless it gets delyed again
matt_gsxr

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will find it is a common fault.

See for example this useful description:
http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/volkswagen-audi-common-abs-fault-brake-pressure-sender-sensor-switch-failure

ABS works fine.

Wadders

posted on 6/3/13 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by beaver34
its not abs related abs has its own warning lamp on the beetle

The T5 also has separate warning lights, ABS worked perfectly well even when the warning light was on, the ABS and ESP lights would just come on randomly, sometimes for minutes sometimes for days on end and finally permanantly

After many plug in's and checking of wiring/connectors/sensors i had the ABS unit reconditioned and that cured the issue.

Al.

rusty nuts

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
There should have been a special notice sent out to MOT stations today listing all new testable items which come into force on the 20th of this month, we didn't get ours so I'm not totally sure whats going to be included
britishtrident

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sooner or later it is going to be in the MOT but that doesn’t change the fact the car has a fault that could cost more than the vehicle is worth to fix at least using genuine VW parts.

[/I]

mookaloid

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again chaps, I have persuaded her that it isn't worth the risk. So now I have the dilemma about what to do about he current car.

I think I'll start another thread

bashracing

posted on 8/3/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
There should have been a special notice sent out to MOT stations today listing all new testable items which come into force on the 20th of this month, we didn't get ours so I'm not totally sure whats going to be included

if you check special notice 5-2012 on the vosa website it lists the items coming in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.