Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit Car legality in Germany
GreigM

posted on 16/3/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Kit Car legality in Germany

Are our cars in any way legal in Germany? I know you can't buy/build/register one there, but is it legal to even drive on their roads in a UK registered/taxed/motd car? Say you're on a European tour and drive to the 'ring - are you likely to get stopped?

The reason I ask is a friend was stopped in Germany for driving a UK registered car with a non-TUV approved rear wing fitted. The car passed a UK MoT with the wing but and is 100% street legal here, but the German plod took a different view. After 6 hours of debate with them at a German police station he was allowed to leave without a fine, but they insisted that this was simply because they couldn't get the law clarified in time to go off shift and were fed up of his argument that if its legal in the country it's registered in then it must be legal to drive in germany - being the EU and all that.

Does anyone know who was correct? Obviously if the germans are correct and every part needs to be TUV approved (or have passed some sort of inspection from the car) then pretty much 100% of my car would be illegal - I would imagine I have very very few parts which would have approval....or does the UK status give it some sort of exemption?

aerodynamix

posted on 16/3/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
There are kitcars in Germany although it is easier to register a kitcar if it is pre 1992 due to very stringent emmisions over there .
As regards TUV not sure on your wing issue but every year we move closer to european integration on MOT testing of whatever each country calls it behind the scenes Brussels call the shots despite the fact that any changes take an absolute age due to our lawmaking procedures regards testing .
As well as changes that will now come in on March 20th , more changes come in in July regards braking performance (unless it gets pushed back) , making us more like other European countries .
Classic cars pre 1960 may need MOTing again soon as Europe is looking to make old cars testable , Motorcycles will also be tested in Europe soon same as us as I believe they are not tested over there at the moment .

designer

posted on 16/3/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I drive my kit regularly in Europe, I live there,

The law is that a foreign registered, road legal, car can be in a foreign land for a maximum of three months at a single time. The bit of road the car stands on is 'native' belonging to the country the car is registered in.

Did he have proof of MOT? The MOT must be carried when abroard and they had no right to question the car, if a current UK MOT is shown.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 16/3/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Drove mine to the Nurburg ring without a second thought. As far as Im aware your friend was dead right and given a hard time over nothing.

Daniel

GreigM

posted on 16/3/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Drove mine to the Nurburg ring without a second thought. As far as Im aware your friend was dead right and given a hard time over nothing.

That was my understanding, but it was a local at the ring who suggested otherwise, and a little digging threw up these items:
http://www.bmwkraftur.is/spjall/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21337&start=570

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/tuv/index.php

which just muddy the waters somewhat....

designer

posted on 16/3/13 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
The German TUV system works by only giving a certificate (MOT) to a 'standard' car, just as it came off the producion line. Any mods, or additions to cars have to be 'authorised' by the TUV authorities.

You cannot just stick any boot spoiler/lights/bodywork on your car. If you do you have to remove them for the TUV and then you can put them back on after., but this effects your insurance.

All Europe works the same way, and so will the UK in a few years.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 17/3/13 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
been to the ring twice in the striker and stopped once by the police. they had a road block set up on a common route and were stopping alot, but not all, of the obvious ring visitors. they had no interest in my car and its legality only the papers and commonly forgotten small bits. unfortunately for them i was well prepared with required documents and Halfords European travel kit.

suck on them ones, German!!!

regarding OP. i would argue to. they cant stop us bring non German ligit cars onto their roads. unless obviously after boarder fitted.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

theconrodkid

posted on 17/3/13 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
meanwhile here in Blighty,we have thousands of foriegn vehicles that stay for years,some are pikey looking vans that are trading as well,some are RHD with dodgy looking foreign plates,how does that work ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

perksy

posted on 17/3/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
meanwhile here in Blighty,we have thousands of foriegn vehicles that stay for years,some are pikey looking vans that are trading as well,some are RHD with dodgy looking foreign plates,how does that work ?

It doesn't
I read an article a while ago that a lot of the councils have given up issuing parking tickets to polish etc plated vehicles as its a nightmare to try and find out who the vehicle actually belongs to and where they really live.
For what it costs the councils it ain't worth the trouble of persuing it...

dhutch

posted on 17/3/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GreigM
That was my understanding, but it was a local at the ring who suggested otherwise, and a little digging threw up these items:
http://www.bmwkraftur.is/spjall/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21337&start=570

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/tuv/index.php

which just muddy the waters somewhat....

But to cut a long story short, pre sva kitcar, no problems.

Daniel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.