Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what race oils - duratec and type 9
shirt

posted on 25/3/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
what race oils - duratec and type 9

hi guys,

as i progress towards completing my rebuild i need to start thinking about what oils i'm going to use in the drivetrain. still a few weeks from turning the engine over, but getting quality product out here in the desert is never straight forward so i may have to order it in.

before the tear down i was using motul 300V fully synth 15W50 in the engine and i can't remember what was in the box and diff. engine is a mildly tuned 2.0l duratec on ITB's, gearbox is std. type 9 [albeit with quickshift] and the diff is a 7" sierra with quaife LSD.

car isn't road legal so lives exclusively on track and so i need max. protection. from what i am reading though even the 15w50 may be too much, seesm 10w40 fully synth is the way to go.

i also read the type 9 is a fussy bugger with respect to oils.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

mcerd1

posted on 25/3/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
not sure whats best for a duratec, and i'm sure quaife will have there own recommened oils

quote:
Originally posted by shirt
i also read the type 9 is a fussy bugger with respect to oils.
its 75W90 from memory, but it must be GL4 (not GL5)

BGH recommend Comma stuff, even for there top spec boxes - nice and locost
http://www.commaoil.co.uk/productsguide/view/6/181

[Edited on 25/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

big-vee-twin

posted on 25/3/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ford recommend 5w 30 fully synthetic for the Duratec, that's what am using but road going use mainly.

Halfords sell a racing version 5w 50 fully synth for track day use currently £29.59

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/13 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing to watch with any RWD gearbox is not under any circumstances to use a GL5 oil you can use GL4 oil 80 grade or 75w/90 ( Comma 75w90 GL4) , a lot of people run ATF but my choice would be Comma MT75.

Even in racers cold highly viscous oils kill more engines than oil that is too hot and thin, for this reason I would not recommend anything thicker than 10 at the cold end and 50 at the hot end particularly if you ahave an oil cooler. Comma do a 5w/50 motor sport oil

Comma Motorsport 5W-50 Motor Engine Oil Full Synthetic 5L Track Motor Sport MS5L | eBay

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Grimsdale

posted on 25/3/13 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
what are people's opinions of the 'multigrade' gearbox oils that say they suit various grades including 75w90 and both gl4 and gl5?
britishtrident

posted on 25/3/13 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grimsdale
what are people's opinions of the 'multigrade' gearbox oils that say they suit various grades including 75w90 and both gl4 and gl5?

Any GL5 oil exceeds the performance spec for GL4 oil BUT the level of EP additives required to give GL5 performance render it unsuitable for use in most gearboxes.

The lubrication requirements of a conventional rwd aren't that high many of the most long lasting gearboxes of the 1950's to 1980's used engine oil or automatic transmission oil as the factory fill.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul Turner

posted on 25/3/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Comma 75w90 GL4 is as good as it gets for a type 9. Resonably priced and good availability. Been in my type 9 since the late 90's.
shirt

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys.

comma sounds the way to go but unfortunately unavailable in the UAE. i am limited to:

valvoline
castrol
royal purple
mobil
motul

will any prescribed 75w90 GL4 do or are some better than others? i am clueless when it comes to oils but have read the type 9 can be very fussy.

shirt

posted on 4/4/13 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
decided to go with this one based on a recommendation and local availability

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-90-mt90-75w-90-gl4.aspx

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.