Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "How to" OEM zetec ecu with Pats info.
spegru

posted on 9/7/15 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I finally found Shorty's posts here http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12571&page=2
That forum is certainly not all it might be - search doesn't seem to work at all, and I cant register either!

So it look like shorty was trying to do exactly the same as me: ID-ing the wires from the engine to car connector.

spegru

posted on 9/7/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Some success with the 60 pin setup.- after correcting a loose earth (the main problem) and the permanent 12v live.
The bluetooth OBD connector is now reporting to my phone properly (BTW the android phone app I use for this is called Torque) and I can now see the throttle opening / closing as well as temperature. So the ECU seems to work - ish. I just need to get the engine to turn over for which I'll need a starter motor and to modify the sump so that I can fit one in this RWD type 9 configuration! Luckily I already have a modified sump with various bits cut off the alloy half it to suit, from the previous project that eventually acquired a shallow sump from Raceline.
That grey wire appears to go straight through to the engine to car connector from the single pin connector. Not sure why it is there at all really if all it does is go to a supressor on the engine that isnt actually connected to it?
I still need to find the connection to the Rev counter. Maybe it's on the connector block behind the Focus dash like the OBD was
If/when I get this sorted I'll post up the details!

back to sump swapping.....

[Edited on 9/7/15 by spegru]

[Edited on 9/7/15 by spegru]

big_wasa

posted on 9/7/15 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Heavy grey wire sounds like the starter solenoid wire. Comes from the starter inhibit relay. Got a picture ?
big_wasa

posted on 9/7/15 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Tacho is often white. Have a look for a white wire on an above number with nothing next to it. Make sure there isn't more than one.

Cheers

[Edited on 9/7/15 by big_wasa]

spegru

posted on 9/7/15 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that heavy grey could be for the starter. It's in about the right place. But I dont actually have one at present and when the T9/RWD one I ordered this evening arrives of course it will be different to the original focus one. This actually makes me wonder if there is a supressor on the focus engine at all. It was missing when I got the engine but then again I had to reclaim the coil that had been taken off too so it could have gone missing.
How do you post pictures on this site?

big_wasa

posted on 9/7/15 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Photos can be hosted on here in your archive or anywhere like photo bucket then putting in the link.

Not all models had the suppressor. They twisted the crank and cam sensor leads all the way back to the Ecu to cancel noise. A suppressor plug is a mini timer housing like the crank sensor and it fits next to the coil pack. If it's not there don't worry about it.

The ecu will immobilise the starter via a relay. Your new starter won't have the other half of that plug but you can find one or you can do away with that feature.

spegru

posted on 28/9/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've now got my zetec 2.0 running on the 60 pin eec-v ecu (code TEAR)!
Now trying to finish it all off with the tacho
I notice that your new thread for the 1.6 zetec se shows pin 4 for tacho whereas it's for trip etc here.
Was that an error in the shorty info? All the other info seems to match
I've tried it already but no working tacho so far. However it could be some other problem.
The wire colour is white purple

big_wasa

posted on 28/9/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I worked the se for a mate, nothing to do with Shorty. The engine was in a Fiesta.

Edit tachometer is usually white but latter models didn't have an out put as it was done by can-bus.

White and violet should be the road speed signal input.

[Edited on 28/9/15 by big_wasa]

spegru

posted on 30/9/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a bit odd for that pin to be the only one that's different - although I note that some of the wiring colours are different between 60 pin 1.6 Zetec SE and 2.0 Black Top Zetec. This is an EEC-V btw

Shorty's info says: 4-White/purple-Audio/cruise/trip - which is a bit of an odd combo ....
I wish I could send him a message but I cant register on the haynes site

I don't think there is any Can bus on Zetec engines?
I'll have to attach a scope or a known working tacho to to pin 4

If all else fails I guess I can connect it to the coil like in the old days. Lucky it's an after market tacho so I could use 8 cylinder mode - or is that ok anyway if connected only on one side of the coil?... to get over the wasted spark calibration issue

[Edited on 30/9/15 by spegru]

[Edited on 30/9/15 by spegru]is

[Edited on 30/9/15 by spegru]

big_wasa

posted on 30/9/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Shorty was on here as well.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/members/Shorty/

If you pm me the ecu name, the car it was from and the year you think it is I will have a dig about over the weekend. Pm me Sunday tea time if I forget.

It's a really busy time at the moment as I finish one job tomorrow and start at the new place Friday and I am picking another engine up Saturday.

Cheers

[Edited on 30/9/15 by big_wasa]

coozer

posted on 1/10/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Picking another engine up this weekend eh? Me n all! May I ask what is is?? Mines another v8!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 1/10/15 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Snap....

if we are playing top trumps mine is 4.0 L

what's yours

coozer

posted on 2/10/15 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
An ancient 3.5!

Its going on a stand for a static display.

Mate of mine is looking for a big air cooled 2 stroke single for a start up display then 5 minutes late a v8 popped up and the penny dropped!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 2/10/15 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've already made the stand. ...
coozer

posted on 3/10/15 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Got any pics anywhere before we bung this thread up??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 3/10/15 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Stand ? NO its buried behind a garage full of engines

The latest edition after a 225 mile round trip

coozer

posted on 3/10/15 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, that's some fan! Looking like the one I was getting is not going to happen, seller is humming and harring over collecting for some reason...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

spegru

posted on 25/10/15 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I found a good wiring diagram for early focus that includes both 104 and 60 pin info

ftp://ftp.idm.ru/pub/ffclub/2003_5_Focus_WD.pdf

It's a huge document 816 pages. But luckily as it's a PDF you can search for text blocks such as "EEC V (60"

On page 268 it looks like all the instruments are powered from an ECU which may or may not be CANBUS but is definitely OBD and connected to the ECU via another processor.
So no tacho output as such. I have the option of plumbing into the coil feed (I suspect I'll need to select the 8 cylinder setting on after market the tacho) or not having one at all which would be ok on this car.

I also now realise I am going to have problems with the no charge warning light and fuel guage since those are also from the focus complete with harness
Those might be doable by hacking into the fuel tank wires and some jiggery pokery with one of the Alternator wires that I havn't figured out yet
On the other hand I could try to get hold of a focus instrument pack.....

spegru

posted on 23/11/15 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
OK So I am nearly finished with this. It looks like the 60pin EEC-V is slightly newer (in that it uses OBD to connect to instruments) than the 104 pin and yet it also seems that the one fitted to an early focus is not the same as the one that BigWasa was looking at for the Mojo and the 1.6 Sigma engine......

Anyway it's all running (thanks to info provided by Big Wasa & Shorty) and I now even have most of the instruments working by dint of swapping over to a Focus instrument pack. In my Sierra based Eagle RV I was able to fit the Focus pack into the Sierra dashboard buy trimming a bit off each end (the pointy corners on the focus instrument pack). Looks pretty good (wish I could post photos here) although I need to blank off the top corners of the square dash pod

Since I also used a focus fuel tank as well as the main engine harness (that also goes to the tank at the back) the fuel pump/ fuel level sensor seem to work fine as does the temp gauge (I shan't need my added on Thermostat housing temp sensor any more). Tacho also works and Alternator warning light also functions. I could even connect the PATS led to a dash light instead of having it separate. I tried to connect the Focus fuel level sensor to the Sierra Fuel guage since it's wired in separately, but without success - which is what led me to swap the instruments over, since almost nothing worked and anyway they look fairly rubbish with a huge Seatbelts warning in the centre and no rev counter. Warning lights such as indicators main beam and instrument lighting are all connected separately so it was quite easy to splice those in.

The only thing not working is the speedo, but since I also have a bluetooth OBD connection and the Torque Android OBD app on my phone I can see that it is actually providing a reading, albeit probably rather low. So maybe the second hand Instrument pack is faulty (there's no direct connection between the sensor and the speedo - it's all done by OBD). Easiest way to find that might be to simply get another dash pod as they're cheap enough. The Under reading is another matter. Not sure if it's because the pulses per mile are different between Sierra/Granada Type 9 and Focus, or because the 205/15 wheels I've got are rather larger than the focus originals. I am aware you can get electronic speedo correctors so I'll have to investigate that.

Of course I've also got a bunch of warning lights showing for things like ABS and Airbags that I havn't got. Not sure whether I need to fix the relevant wires to 12v or earth or whether to simply bung up the LED light behind the dash with blutak or whatever.

By the way I highly recommend the wiring Diagram that I posted a link to recently. It's a bit daunting but actually very good once you get used to it. It covers both 104 pin and 60pin EEC-V variants as used on the early Focus.

thanks for all the help
Regards
Spegru

PS It's also possible that I've got Cruise control capability etc if I connect a few more wires - but not sure I can be bothered....

big_wasa

posted on 23/11/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
The speedo does take a signal from the vss. It would come via the speed control modual.

The rest is as you say sent by the buss. In fact the St170 has an oil pressure and temperature gage but no sensors. The ecu interprets what it thinks it should be based on other info and sends it down the bus.

spegru

posted on 23/11/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting thanks. So by looking at the enormous wiring doc that I previously linked to, I see there is a circuit called 8-GH9 on a white blue wire present at the central junction box (presumably for connection to trip computer etc), also at the instruments connector, which is currently not connected and pin 35 on the 60 pin ecu. White/blue is also the code for the speed sensor.
I wonder what will happen if I connect them together......

[Edited on 24/11/15 by spegru]

spegru

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been onto this, studying the wiring diagram for links between the Instrument pack and either the speed control or trip computer

So one confusion was that the connector to the trip computer appears to be the same as the one for the instrument pack, which is what misled me into thinking that there was a white/blue VSS wire on the instruments. There isn't. That wire in fact goes to the trip computer and the trip computer is then connected to the Instruments.

I'm hoping there is a VSS feed through from either the speed control or the trip computer.
It seems to me more likely that any such feed goes via trip computer connection than speed control as I'm guessing the speed control connection would actually be a light indicating cruise control active??

To my surprise where the instrument connector should have had a white/black connection to speed control there was no pin in the connector (the plug didn't come from the same car but I don't think that's relevant). I tried connecting the relevant pin directly to the white/blue wire coming from the ECU and when that didnt work also to the Yellow wire that is meant to connect to the trip computer - but no speedo action so far.

I did wonder if the connection should be via obd rather than simple pulses, but then again there is no sign of a twisted pair of wires on that connection as there is for tacho etc from the ECU so I think probably just pulses are what's needed.
I probably just need to make sure all my connections are actually connected.....

Are you sure that speed VSS is actually connected to the speedo indirectly and not via obd? (it could simply be a faulty speedo....?)

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 24/11/15 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
My Black Top has a set of R1 carbs with a good exhaust system and I can confirm it is making 165 on the rollers with no additional work.....I need more power.....
spegru

posted on 1/12/15 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Big Wasa, I am starting to pull my hair out on this Speedometer problem
I have a full set of instruments on this 60pin EEC-V aside from just that one thing - having spliced in a Focus instrument pack

I have found a very healthy speed sensitive square wave coming out of Pin 4 on the 60pin ECU (I have a scope) and from the wiring diagram it appears to be distributed to various things such as Radio (speed related volume control) and even HID headlamps (alignment/levelling adjustment at high speed I suppose)

I dont have a speed control module (which I suppose this is the same thing as Cruise Control) module, but I imagine this is only an option. Presumambly this why pin 4 was missing on my instrument connector and no sign of the connections on my donor wiring harness. Nevertheless I managed to connect it to the square wave output - and achieved a pulsing Cruise Control On warning lamp - not quite what I wanted!
I've got a Trip computer (even though that is also only an option I think) and wired that up in case it helped. It works but still no speedo! I even tried another instrument pack with the same result
Meanwhile the Torque App on my phone is perfectly happy to display speed via my bluetooth adaptor but of course that doesnt record milage/legal requirements

Google is no good as it's awash with people complaining about a very common fault related to the VSS sensor on a Focus gearbox - it's not that!

I just need info about how to wire up the dash to the VSS output from the ECU without the (presumed optional) Speed Control.
I'm guessing there is a pulse pass through somewhere

Please can you help? - I'm running out of ideas.

thanks

[Edited on 1/12/15 by spegru]

big_wasa

posted on 1/12/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
For a 98~2005 60 pin eecv ecu

I've got pin 4 as audio and cruise (telemetric) like you but pin 3 is vss input.

What have you got on pin 3 ?

[Edited on 1/12/15 by big_wasa]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.