Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R headers - E/F or C
loony

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
ZX9R headers - E/F or C

As I read somewhere here at locostbuilders OEM ZX9R E/F headers aren't easy to weld (some alloy magnesium or something) - can I use ZX9R C headers to make my own headers as they look like made from different material (easier to weld - I hope)?

ZX9R headers comparison
ZX9R headers comparison

Top one are C headers, bottom are E/F headers...

They have longer primaries and bigger diameter... but I plan to short it to fit chassis anyway.

Or... should I use something like 2.0 16v Clio Sport headers (or similar) and just weld ZX9R flanges ?

[Edited on 3/4/13 by loony]

Lucas

40inches

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I used the "E" headers, the link pipes give a bit more mid range grunt, and ran them as on the bike.
ZX9R-E manifold
ZX9R-E manifold

loony

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Link pipes make something like very short 4-2-(2x2)-1 headers
That's why I was thinking about car headers too - like Fiat HGT/Alfa 2.0 16V headers which are 4-2-1...

I have to stay over floor level because of ground clearance need (terrible polish roads)

Lucas

40inches

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loony
Link pipes make something like very short 4-2-(2x2)-1 headers
That's why I was thinking about car headers too - like Fiat HGT/Alfa 2.0 16V headers which are 4-2-1...

I have to stay over floor lever because of ground clearance need (terrible polish roads)

I wanted to keep as near the bike set up as possible, makes it easier to get through emissions etc, you probably
don't have that problem

wylliezx9r

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Try and keep your primary lengths and diameter as close to the origional manifold as possible. Otherwise you are in danger of losing huge amounts of power. When my primaries were wrong the engine would only produce 107bhp. When I replaced the manifold for tuned lengths it produced 141 bhp.

[Edited on 3/4/13 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

dave_424

posted on 3/4/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
The C model exhaust that I bought seems to weld like titanium, I know that the standard end can has titanium marked on it and it is indeed TI, so my thoughts are that the whole system is. When I was cutting up my headers and trying to weld them, they were cracking all over the place. Give it a go but I don't think you will get a good weld on those headers.

Dave

ginger ninja

posted on 3/4/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
The port sizes are different on the C and E heads. The E is slightly larger.
I had a new header made. The C series port flanges were cut off the old manifold and new stainless tubes welded to them. Here's the crucial bit : the primary tube lengths were measured and the new tubes cut to the same dimension. These were then bent and worked to fit the car and 4-1 collector. The standard can was used initially but quickly replaced by an IXIL aluminium one.
Fitted to an E series motor with jetted C series carbs it made 147BHP on the rolling road. The cross linked tubes were not fitted due to me being tight - seems to go OK.

loony

posted on 4/4/13 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I found something interesting - they are ZX9R headers, but... aftermarket 4-2-1 ?

Unknown ZX9R headers
Unknown ZX9R headers

Unknown ZX9R headers
Unknown ZX9R headers

Unknown ZX9R headers
Unknown ZX9R headers

They have welded flanges, so maybe they are stainless Worth a try (about 30GBP) ? If it's "weldable" I can use pipes etc and just model it to fit my roadster...

Or should I give it up and make my own SS flanges and headers ?
If so - can I make one big flange (like in car engines) and cut it for separate flanges just before final install ?
I have OEM "F" headers with my engine package, so I can measure what I need...

It's still cheaper to make one proper headers than something to work for now and second better headers later...

Lucas

ZEN

posted on 1/9/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ginger ninja
The port sizes are different on the C and E heads. The E is slightly larger.
I had a new header made. The C series port flanges were cut off the old manifold and new stainless tubes welded to them. Here's the crucial bit : the primary tube lengths were measured and the new tubes cut to the same dimension. These were then bent and worked to fit the car and 4-1 collector. The standard can was used initially but quickly replaced by an IXIL aluminium one.
Fitted to an E series motor with jetted C series carbs it made 147BHP on the rolling road. The cross linked tubes were not fitted due to me being tight - seems to go OK.

What year of production was your ZX-9R donor? I found one local ad selling the manifolds stating it is stainless steel.

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.