Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blanking throttle body holes
Daf

posted on 14/4/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Blanking throttle body holes

I'm currently in the process of spacing out some GSXR throttle bodies and I need to blank off the secondary butterfly and injector holes. I know that a lot of people use chemical metal but I've seen some pictures where this has failed and I don't like the idea of a lump breaking off and falling into the engine!

Looking round my garage earlier I noticed my hot glue gun - good for 193°C - might be a daft idea but I could make a nice bung with hot glue to fill the hole. If it overflowed a little to create a mushroom on the outside it couldn't fall in.

Any thoughts? Is this a daft idea?!

mccsp

posted on 14/4/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Personnally I think it won't last long. I had some aluminium plugs machined up had a step in diameter, with the bigger diameter so it couldn't fall in), then cooled them in the freezer and inserted with threadlock. Then just filed the protruding bits off. Looks really good, but I was able to get the machining done at work, not sure that would be an option anymore.

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

big-vee-twin

posted on 14/4/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I used some roofing bolts with a large mushroom head glued in with epoxy same as a blank-pic in my archive secondary holes with liquid metal OK if done correctly

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Daf

posted on 14/4/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'll get some spacers turned down to fill the holes, I just wanted to finish them and get them on so I could look at it!
Furyous

posted on 14/4/13 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Try some of these.
CORE PLUGS / FREEZE PLUGS 5 X 20MM CUP TYPE | eBay

They won't look as good as a turned down piece of aluminium, but they're cheap and easy. Check the size first, the ones I linked might not be right. You should be able to get some that are a nice squeeze in the hole, then secure them in with a bit of epoxy or silicone sealant.

[Edited on 15/4/13 by Furyous]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.