Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting fence panels
steve m

posted on 3/6/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Painting fence panels

Hi all,

Ive been given the task of painting the fence and shed tomorrow, with a creosote type of gooeie stuff
So, as im an engineer, !! my thoughts turned to my compressor and spray gun, so please tell me, before i do, will it work????

Preferably before i start !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 3/6/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a proper fence sprayer, pump action to build the pressure and then squirt. It was incredibly hard work, and the creosote had to be so thin to get through the gun that it gave virtually no protection. Oh, and as it ran, it ran through to the other side through the slats.

Next time I'm sticking with a brush and the gooeie stuff...

philw

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I always use a mix of old engine oil and diesel looks crap though (for the first week or two) until it weathers in

Must try harder

theconrodkid

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
did mine a couple of years ago,thined the creasote down with some old petrol/diesel mix and sprayed it with an old spray gun,done in a jiffy :-)

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scudderfish

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Pay a small child to do it for you; your time is more valuable than theirs.
Slimy38

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Pay a small child to do it for you; your time is more valuable than theirs.

Yeah, but you only get the bottom half of the fence painted!

britishtrident

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried it with various type of gun but found those High Volume Low Pressure pressure work best. Earlex brand is bigest seller also Bosch and other brand sold by B&Q and Lidl by the sprayable type and dillute 50 to 60% with water. and one container will cover a massive area with virtually no mess or over spray..

My local Lidl has them cheap just now.

[Edited on 3/6/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DarrenW

posted on 3/6/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
You are all wrong.

wait for a great sunny day. Start at lunch time. Brush paint liberally and treat yourself to a beer after each panel.

You only have to wait until lunchtime so no-one thinks you are a beer junky (i dont know how to spell achy!!!) Plus it gives them chance to chill in the fridge. By 5pm you can light the bbq and admire your work.

steve m

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
"wait for a great sunny day. Start at lunch time. Brush paint liberally and treat yourself to a beer after each panel."

I should be pissed as a fart by midday then!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Agriv8

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I have tried it with various type of gun but found those High Volume Low Pressure pressure work best. Earlex brand is bigest seller also Bosch and other brand sold by B&Q and Lidl by the sprayable type and dillute 50 to 60% with water. and one container will cover a massive area with virtually no mess or over spray..

My local Lidl has them cheap just now.

[Edited on 3/6/13 by britishtrident]

Same here did 8, 6 foot panels both sides less than a day plus shed. I bought the spray stuff from screwfix . I tried a couple of guns and found the paraffin gun the best ! Adjusted the nozel and could do 1/2 a panel before I needed to let my compressor catch up. I did get some overspray so covered any cars close with dust covers. An did use my spray mask.

Fingers crossed it will last another few years before it needs doing again

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I bought a proper fence sprayer, pump action to build the pressure and then squirt. It was incredibly hard work, and the creosote had to be so thin to get through the gun that it gave virtually no protection. Oh, and as it ran, it ran through to the other side through the slats.

I bought a proper fence sprayer, pump action, but I bought the proper fence paint to go in it. Dead easy and dead quick but you've got to mask off plants and things you don't want to be painted. You can do a whole fence in the time it would take to paint a single panel with a brush.

DarrenW

posted on 3/6/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one too and they do a gr8 job with the right water based treatment. I think i used B&Q own brand. Its next doors plants you need to worry about if there are gaps in the fence.
Peteff

posted on 3/6/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've read a few instances of people falling out with neighbours after they have killed all their nice plants with overspray from fence painting with sprayguns as Darren says.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

trextr7monkey

posted on 3/6/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
We used to spray the yorkshire boarding on pig buildings with knap sack sprayers and cuprinol in the metal cans, a bit smelly and quite expensive but it did a decent job and stayed looking good for years
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

nick205

posted on 3/6/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I ripped down my fence panels and replaced them with post and rails with feather edge boards. Pressure treated timber weathers in nice and doesn't need treating either.

I did try a Cuprinol fence sprayer first, it was crap!

Slimy38

posted on 4/6/13 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I bought a proper fence sprayer, pump action, but I bought the proper fence paint to go in it. Dead easy and dead quick but you've got to mask off plants and things you don't want to be painted. You can do a whole fence in the time it would take to paint a single panel with a brush.

It was the proper stuff that matched the sprayer (i only say creosote because i cant remember its proper name!), although it was closer to creosote than paint. We tried using paint once, never again. Looked cheap and plasticky when it was done, and flaked off for the next six months. Had to replace the fence in the end.

I'm a firm believer of external woodwork being stained rather than painted, looks so much better.

mds167

posted on 4/6/13 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
You are all wrong.

wait for a great sunny day. Start at lunch time. Brush paint liberally and treat yourself to a beer after each panel.

You only have to wait until lunchtime so no-one thinks you are a beer junky (i dont know how to spell achy!!!) Plus it gives them chance to chill in the fridge. By 5pm you can light the bbq and admire your work.

I like this plan. My new fence panels/posts are being delivered tomorrow and I have a can of Ducksback to make the fence the same shade of very dark brown as the existing gates and garage doors. I think my weekend is sorted (combined with Canadian Grand Prix)!

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

Litemoth

posted on 4/6/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I asked a commercial fence company guy (who did a lot of high volume work for the council) what was the best method to get the gravy on a fence.

His response was: Focus on what you put on not how. Use Sadolin or Sikkens not the water based ducksback type stuff. You put it on only every 8 years (or more). Put it on with a brush because it's less wasteful and treats the wood more deeply. You save time in the long run.

It looks way way better than the watery brown gravy stuff too but cost is much higher (always the way)

[Edited on 4/6/13 by Litemoth]

mds167

posted on 4/6/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
I asked a commercial fence company guy (who did a lot of high volume work for the council) what was the best method to get the gravy on a fence.

His response was: Focus on what you put on not how. Use Sadolin or Sikkens not the water based ducksback type stuff. You put it on only on every 8 years (or more). Put it on with a brush because it's less wasteful and treats the wood more deeply. You save time in the long run.

It looks way way better than the watery brown gravy stuff too but cost is much higher (always the way)

[Edited on 4/6/13 by Litemoth]

Useful! Thanks!

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

steve m

posted on 4/6/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well, i was going to spray it with the compressor, and parafin gun, so got up nice and early, and both sides to my back garden and put there washing out, before work!! bastards

So i brushed it, and know my arm aches

britishtrident

posted on 4/6/13 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
With the HVLP blower style guns you get virtually no overspray and what overspray there is dosen't tarvel far.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DarrenW

posted on 4/6/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Well, i was going to spray it with the compressor, and parafin gun, so got up nice and early, and both sides to my back garden and put there washing out, before work!! bastards

So i brushed it, and know my arm aches

I find Chimnea's and BBQ's soon have the neighbours getting their washing back in. And if they have gone to work they probs wont leave it out next time.

Mind you lighting a BBQ for breakfast is a bit OTT - brushing was a more sensible approach.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.