Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Place to get cheap rims and tyres?
morcus

posted on 10/6/13 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Best Place to get cheap rims and tyres?

The patch up job glueing my tyre to my car is still just about holding up after a couple of months but I think it's time to actually sort it out as I'll be using the car less in the coming months. All the wheels are a bit tatty but the dodgy one and the spare are so corroded it's time to chuck them, Ideally I'd like to get replacements of the same kind of wheel and While I'm at it I want to change the back tyres.

What sort of money would you expect to pay for a couple of used 15' alloy wheels? Apart from ebay, where else am I likely to find them?

The other alternative is a whole new set but I don't fancy paying the extra insurance, not to mention the car being worth very little.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

chrism

posted on 10/6/13 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
How bad are they, what about a refurb. Plenty of companys around doing, some I believe can also straighten dents and repair curbing damage, will give you like new wheels for a fraction of the cost.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

morcus

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I think the worst two are beyond that as they're really corroded the other three though would probably come up grand after a refurb. When I had the tyre done the guy reckomended swapping that wheel.

ray.h.

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I paid 80 quid for a set of ford focus ghia wheels with good tyres from a local breakers last year. cheaper than buying two ditch finder tyres.
mcerd1

posted on 11/6/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
what car is this for ?

can you get steels in the same size ?

I got a couple of 15" mondeo steels as spares for my focus (same size as the focus alloys) cost me £10 each out the scrap yard (+ a couple of beer tokens for the different wheelnuts)

-

ray.h.

posted on 11/6/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
my wheels were from a ford focus and were to go on a ford focus. what car are you trying to fit them too. what axles ?
morcus

posted on 11/6/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Going on a Vectra B with 5 stud hubs. I've found a set of four of the kind I've got from a breakers Just waiting on conformation that they are the right kind (I've only seen pictures). They seem to have ok tyres on them though I would end up with 2 extra spare wheels.

mcerd1

posted on 12/6/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
They seem to have ok tyres on them though I would end up with 2 extra spare wheels.
that not a bad thing if you've got the space for them...

I've got 10 wheels for my focus now, not counting the stupid space saver one.
a couple of steel spares and I took another set of 4 alloys to replace a damaged wheel the same as you
(although by the sounds of things my wheel wasn't as bad - it just needed 15 weights to balance it after it was straitened )

I put the 4 best alloys on the car and used the remaining ones for my winter tyres

[Edited on 12/6/2013 by mcerd1]

-

ray.h.

posted on 12/6/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
breakers get about 6 or 7 quid for a rim but have to dispose of tyres so ive found an offer of 15 a wheel with tyre usually gets them do a deal.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.