Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a car...
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a car...

Hi

I'm in the process of selling loads of stuff and all is going to plan, motor bikes gone already

Reason is I now have very limited time on my hands for the endless projects I normally use to have due mainly to the wee one

I've decided to treat myself after I sell all my stuff to a nice car, not a new car but some sort of classic, was going to buy a JBA Falcon but now thinking I'm being a bit closed minded on other options

Would like a open top 2 seater sports car that's fun to drive but is practical to drive everyday (so a 7 is out the window), doesn't need to be deadly fast just fun

Was now thinking along the lines of a Triumph Spitfire, my brother in law has one who has so far resisted my attempts to buy it off him, even said he could still drive it now and again

Any ideas from you lot? Budget would be between £4000-£6000 tops

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 18/7/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
The saving grace of the Spitfire is the separate chassis --- otherwise in their day small Triumphs not considered great, if using as an everyday car through the winter the front suspension will need constant lubrication (oil not grease) and the chassis will need protection from corrosion, 1500 models are especially prone to engine bearing problems.

TR3,TR4, TR250, TR5 & TR6 as with all Triumphs rot badly the 4 cylinder engine was a great lump but 6 cylinder injection engined models were a nightmare but most these days will have been converted to some other fueling. Live axle cars handle better than later (TR4a onwards) IRS cars.

If you can find a decent chrome bumper MGB (ie one with the sills and "castle sections" in sound condition) and can can tolerate the serious lack of grunt you will have a car that is nice to drive and reliable. Front suspension needs regular greasing.

Midgets are OK but Spitfire engines in 1500 models suffer from engine bearing problems.

Sunbeam Alpines ---- stunning looks not bad to drive performance much the same as the MGB but boy do they rot.

Fiat 124 Spider and Coupe, Lancia Monte Carlo Lancia Gamma Coupe --- do any still exist in the UK ? most had rotted away not long after their first MOT.

Datsun Z car ---- great engine but even more body rot than any of the above.

In other words buy Mazda or Toyota

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daniel mason

posted on 18/7/13 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
marlin? i know a few guys using them on a regular basis. all running pintos but are very practical and still fast, leather,stereo, one has electric windows etc! id say £6k will easy get one.
they are also very easy to work on.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
TVR S Series? Thats what I'm looking at now.

Not 'fast' but quick enough, cool, in budget, lovely noise, still got the fiddle with it kit car appeal.

example: Linky

sdh2903

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
You would get a nice boxster or s2000 for that budget. Bit newer but you won't have to oil the suspension
scimjim

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Reliant Scimitar Sabre - Nissan CA18ET or 1.4 K series

or the earlier SS1 with CVH or CA18ET

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Very interesting suggestions there, thanks
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you really need something that doesn't need too much attention (timewise), is practical, driveable and all that sort of thing.

The hairdresser in you needs to consider an MX5. Seriously now, that sort of budget will probably buy a very nice one.

If I can tempt you with a rather nice R1oT?....

02GF74

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Would like a open top 2 seater sports car that's fun to drive but is practical to drive everyday (so a 7 is out the window), doesn't need to be deadly fast just fun

Any ideas from you lot? Budget would be between £4000-£6000 tops

I'd have thought it was a no brainer - MX5, all the advantages of classic british open top cars but a lot cheaper - 4k should be enough for a good 'un less than 8 years old.

and you say you have no time for fixing so forget brit classics which you would need to work on so there is your answer.

hmmmmm ..... scrub that - look on autotrader, select: convertible, manual, price range (e.g. 3-4k) and see what comes up: 1,769 choiuces - volvo c70 anyone? lotus elan? merc slk? honda s200? bm z3? audi r8 spyder?

ok, I lied about the r8 but there rest are there....

add: 12 Boxsters for under 4k

[Edited on 18/7/13 by 02GF74]

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm mx5

Don't know even in red it's just such a notoriiously girly car, I've been in one as a passenger and tbh was actually quite nice and the styling of it is spot on.

Suppose it does make some sense, not sure what the wife would think of me having a bimbo mobile

r1_pete

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hmm mx5

Don't know even in red it's just such a notoriiously girly car, I've been in one as a passenger and tbh was actually quite nice and the styling of it is spot on.

Suppose it does make some sense, not sure what the wife would think of me having a bimbo mobile

The later ones with the wide arches look a bit less girly, not sure about budget though....

beaver34

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
push your budget buy a vx220
DavidW

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a Boxster as they seem like a lot of nice car for the money these days.

David

S2kPower

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
S2000 gets my vote
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
I'd go for a Boxster as they seem like a lot of nice car for the money these days.

David

I think to servicing cost would be very high even if I did the work myself, probably to thirsty for everyday also

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hate to say it but an mx5 seems to be the in the lead looking at the prices on gumtree and they have quite high specifications
S2kPower

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Having just come from an mx5 to an S2000, I'd recommend a test drive in both

S2000 has that 'proper car' feel and is actually better on fuel than my 2 mx5's (mk1 and mk2 1.8's)

You can get a higher mileage but well looked after S2000 in your budget

If you get the mx5 make sure you get the lsd version. My last didn't have one and it just wasn't the same as the mk1 i had with an lsd

Agriv8

posted on 18/7/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Was following a later type MX5 yesterday and did not look too girly.

S2000 would get a second look

But as a rank outsider what about a lotus elise ?

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S2kPower
Having just come from an mx5 to an S2000, I'd recommend a test drive in both

S2000 has that 'proper car' feel and is actually better on fuel than my 2 mx5's (mk1 and mk2 1.8's)

You can get a higher mileage but well looked after S2000 in your budget

If you get the mx5 make sure you get the lsd version. My last didn't have one and it just wasn't the same as the mk1 i had with an lsd

May I ask why decided to go for the s2000 instead? Never had an LSD before, kind of seams to be taking some of the fun away from having a red car to me anyway?

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

ATB Agriv8

Yeah you can pick up some cheap cars but I'm also thinking about the price of spares, I'd think lotus would be quite expensive

rachaeljf

posted on 18/7/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Buy my X1/9!

Description
Description

S2kPower

posted on 18/7/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I found the MX5 too small, too slow and a very basic place to be. It's great fun on the twisty stuff, but for me it isn't a serious car in standard form.

S2000 is a very nice place to be, electric roof, xenons, big boot, sounds awesome, much quicker, more comfortable, highly tuneable, (in my opinion as i have a facelift version) looks a lot better and is still cheap to maintain as long as big things don't go wrong

They're in different leagues of car ownership basically. For me anyway

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not very tall so the mx5 may be ok, certainly when I had a ride in one it wasn't to bad. Will see if I can get a test drive of both like you say
beaver34

posted on 18/7/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

ATB Agriv8

Yeah you can pick up some cheap cars but I'm also thinking about the price of spares, I'd think lotus would be quite expensive

like the vx220 mechanical parts are cheap, bodywork is not

the vx is a far better buy though

S2kPower

posted on 18/7/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't the vx as god day to day as a 7? I suppose it has a roof, but apart from that?
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.