Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: problems with old engine suzuki GSXF 1100
xico_ze54

posted on 19/8/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
problems with old engine suzuki GSXF 1100

hi

I am trying to buy a 1992 GSXF 1100 and somebody told me they are almost same engine as GSXR's.

the bike has some items there are not convincent, they are:

1- there is a very very little smoke, smelling like burning plastic, sorting out the front of the engine.
the owner says is because of some acumulated dust. the bike is parked for a while.
can it be possible the dust thing or is a sign of certain damage?

2- the idle is very high, about 1800 rpm when I know that has to be about 1100 rpm.
could this fact be a way to hide another problem?

if someone knows about this, I appreciated before I make the deal.

thank you.

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 19/8/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a gsx 600 f back in the day, the engine is much like a gsxr of the same period, oil/air cooled and on carbs, although i would suspect down on power a fair bit.

Smoke from the front wouldn't worry me unduly, so long as it disappears fairly quickly, could be leaky exhaust gaskets or as the owner says, dust or crap settled on the headers, smoke from the engine breather or exhaust would be another matter.

Should tickover like a sewing machine at well under 1000 rpm, so something is going on there, but probably just wants the carbs
cleaning out, balancing and setting up, idle jets could be blocked if its been stood for a while, and the fuel has most likely gone off too.

If the price is right, sounds like its worth a punt, although if you are buying it to put the engine in a car, i would maybe look at something a bit more modern.

Al.

I am trying to buy a 1992 GSXF 1100 and somebody told me they are almost same engine as GSXR's.

the bike has some items there are not convincent, they are:

1- there is a very very little smoke, smelling like burning plastic, sorting out the front of the engine.
the owner says is because of some acumulated dust. the bike is parked for a while.
can it be possible the dust thing or is a sign of certain damage?

2- the idle is very high, about 1800 rpm when I know that has to be about 1100 rpm.
could this fact be a way to hide another problem?

if someone knows about this, I appreciated before I make the deal.

thank you.

xico_ze54

posted on 19/8/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders

If the price is right, sounds like its worth a punt, although if you are buying it to put the engine in a car, i would maybe look at something a bit more modern.

Al.

the seller is asking for 600 euros, about 510-520 pounds, for a complete bike. sounds as a bargain or not at all?

cheers
Amadeu

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 19/8/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
That smoke is probably coming from the oil drain tubes, which are prone to rusting through, or the seals failing, its a top end strip to fix them. If the smell is plasticky someone may well have tried to fix them with epoxy or similar, have a really good poke around, you'll see the 2 tubes I'm on about they run from the underside of the head to the crankcase.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.