Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Overheating, pressurising
gaz_gaz

posted on 10/9/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Overheating, pressurising

Looking for your thoughts on this one before I pull the motor out and fit my spare.

A few weeks ago I had an overheating problem and pressurising coolant proble at Cadwell.
The car had been fine the week before with no issues on track, but pretty much as soon as I rolled it off the trailer this time it started to overheat.

Back on the trailer and off home I went,

Pulled the engine out and the headgasket looked ropey so I replaced it with a new gasket and fitted another head I had laying around that had had the valves lapped etc.
At the time I visually inspected the block for cracks and all appeared well

Upon completion all seemed well, I could leave the car to idle for an hr or so without using any coolant, no pipes appeared to be pressuring and I could remove the rad cap without and coolant spewing out.

So happy with my work I set about cleaning up the workshop which left the car to cool fully,
I started the car up a couple of hrs later to pull it into its space, drove it in and as I switched off I heard a sort of squeaking from the engine, closer inspection showed the coolant had pressurised and the bottom rad hose had swollen up like a balloon.

I thought it may have been a faulty water pump so replaced that but the problem persists and the coolant is pressurising very quickly.

I've actually sold the car to a friend and bought something else so it's important I get this sorted out quickly but most importantly properly.
I would just swap engines but when the cars gone it makes fault finding the engine left over near impossible.

So any ideas anyone?

Ps.. I flushed the rad etc through

[Edited on 10/9/13 by gaz_gaz]

jacko

posted on 10/9/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thermostat ? what engine are you using ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gaz_gaz

posted on 10/9/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry it's an R1 engine,

Thermostat was checked and appeared to be working as normal

britishtrident

posted on 10/9/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
For a hose to swell up like a balloon pressure cap can't be releasing excess pressure but there must be other issues.
We need to know details on what engine and more details such as ignition, fueling and rad.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gaz_gaz

posted on 10/9/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its a 2000 R1 engine. Just using the standard R1 CDI unit.
The rad is from a Polo. Its never had a problem.
Like I said, I done a day at Cadwell and it was perfect. Week later I went back to Cadwell and it was knackered straight off the trailer.

ElmrPhD

posted on 11/9/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Call me crazy (and I'm way too low on sleep today), but sounds like a cracked head or gasket is letting combustion pressure leak into the cooling circuit.
Surely you've already explained how this cannot be the case, but I missed that part in my reading of your problem. Sure hope I'm wrong!

Steve, in the NLs

gaz_gaz

posted on 11/9/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
As I said, headgasket replaced and a visual inspection didnt show any cracks,
When I replaced the headgasket I used another head I had, had rebuilt,
I'm thinking there is a crack somewhere I can't see.

garybee

posted on 12/9/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Could also be a cracked liner (I'm assuming wet/damp liners). I know of this happening in a K-series.

How closely did you inspect the bottom end?

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/9/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
For a hose to swell up like a balloon pressure cap can't be releasing excess pressure but there must be other issues.
We need to know details on what engine and more details such as ignition, fueling and rad.

Why must there be other issues? Bike engines don't normally run with an expansion tank, just an overflow from which they suck back the water when they cool. If this overflow was all blocked up then wouldn't this describe the symptoms.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.