Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building a garage cost
beaver34

posted on 16/9/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Building a garage cost

Hi,

Looking at buying my first home next week, one thing I want to budget for is the building of a double garage

I know that sizes vary and location prices but roughly what am I looking at for a brick built double garage to be built? I can labour to reduce costs and am aware I will need planning for that size

Thanks

owelly

posted on 16/9/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been quoted £6500 for a 5mx8m single brick thick garage.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 16/9/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Built my own 4.8m x 8m with pitched roof n ties. £2800 inc builder cost.

Second hand window cost £5

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 17/9/13 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Built my own 4.8m x 8m with pitched roof n ties. £2800 inc builder cost.

Second hand window cost £5

How the hell did you do it that cheaply?

My 3.5m x 7.5m workshop is expected to cost me £12K by the time I'm finished. But it has been over-specced in places and is thoroughly insulated. I've spent £1500 in labour/mini digger hire so far, but did need to spend £1200 on skips as I've had to dig down and backwards into my garden.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

jossey

posted on 17/9/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Went around all the builders merchant for cheap roof trusses till I got a good deal think I paid £250

Second hand window n new door on sale £45

No insulation or ceiling boarding but I need that doing soon which I bought tri ISo n will double board in sound blok board. £400 ish not included in build cost.

Roof tiles I bought off eBay bulk

Felt from burton roofing

Paid the brickys £120 a day cash took 2 of them 3 days £720

Bricks jewsons about £500

It's single skin n the footings I got from a cement company by taking the daily overspill for £100 in total took a week though

So was not easy but worth it.

Bought the other bits from various places.

Not saying it was easy but it saved me about £3000

Sorry about the picture it was when I was filling a skip n not long after I kicked the door in due to locking the 3 keys inside lol

[Edited on 17/9/13 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

tompat3463

posted on 17/9/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
hi..Im a builder and in my eyes if your going to build something like that you may aswell build it to the regs ie. cavity walls insulation etc.

thats what I done and I know now that I can quite easily turn it into part of the house by simply adding stud walls doors etc.

in my case my garage is attatched to my house so not sure if that is viable for you.

I recently built a dettatched garage for someone local and the job total wall £10,000 and that wal just 4mx8 I wouldnt call it a double garage !

unless you know what your doing you can quickly find yourself out of your depth, best left to professionals.

mcerd1

posted on 17/9/13 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
a mate of mine built his own single garage for about £2500 - 3000 to a decent spec, but he did all the work himself including mixing all the concrete and mortar with his little half bag mixer

so you can save lots by doing the labour yourself - but how much time have you got and how good is your brick/block laying ?

I went for a steel frame - much cheaper per m³ but you might have trouble with planning if its to go near your house in a town....

[Edited on 17/9/2013 by mcerd1]

-

brookie

posted on 17/9/13 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I built my own 8x3.5 cost me 2k max
jossey

posted on 17/9/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brookie

Ye but did you build it big enough for my camper like mine n forget that there would be a garage door frame so the van is now 1" too tall lol

Thanks

David Johnson

coyoteboy

posted on 17/9/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've been considering demolishing a sectional concrete garage at my house and sticking in a double using only block and render (matches the housing). I like the idea of the simplicity of steel frame but I'm not sure it'd work out cheaper in the end due to the shear amount of insulation you'd need to make it inhabitable in a scottish winter.

Don't think you need planning permission below certain sizes, regardless of construction type?

mcerd1

posted on 17/9/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Don't think you need planning permission below certain sizes, regardless of construction type?

you need planning unless you build a small garage that's at least 1m from your boundary and 5m from your house as well as a few other conditions.... (up here at least)

-

coyoteboy

posted on 17/9/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Gotta love scottish planning rules:

Does not need planning if:
Located to the rear of the property.
Does NOT exceed 4 metres in height. (3 metres to eaves)
Any part of the building within 1 metre of the boundary does NOT exceed 2.5 metres in height.
The building footprint is NOT greater than 50% of the properties outside space.
Is NOT in a conservation area, unless it is under 4 metres sq.
Your garage or carport is NOT within the boundary of a listed building.
Not part of a flat, apartment, or tenement.

brookie

posted on 18/9/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
quote:
Originally posted by brookie

Ye but did you build it big enough for my camper like mine n forget that there would be a garage door frame so the van is now 1" too tall lol

no lol, u could always let the tyres down before putting it in

DIY Si

posted on 19/9/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I've been considering demolishing a sectional concrete garage at my house and sticking in a double using only block and render (matches the housing). I like the idea of the simplicity of steel frame but I'm not sure it'd work out cheaper in the end due to the shear amount of insulation you'd need to make it inhabitable in a scottish winter.

Mine situation is what you're thinking of doing. I went for a single sized sectional garage to this well insulated jobbie.

It does have a few luxuries though, such as 100mm thick rockwool rwa45 in the walls and the 9" deep joists are filled with insulation too. It has an insulated motorised roller door, and I also have a sink with hot and cold water. But since it's separate from the house these things make all the difference.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ashg

posted on 19/9/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
mine cost about 10k and was a money no object operation.

its constructed of from 4x2inch frame work with 12mm ply on the inside and out with rokwool insulation in the cavity, there is then a waterproof breathable membrane on the outside with batons on top then cladding onto the batons. every bit of timber is it has been pressure treated.

i can get two cars big lathe and milling machine in there at a push.

its still not quite finished as i need to insulate the roof and do a bit more cladding outside under the canopy but im happy as a pig in poo its 1000000x better than my old one.

[Edited on 19/9/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.