Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RX8 V6 engine swap
Guten i Norge

posted on 26/2/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good choise of engine

It's all sorted out how to do it as you say. Well almost making the road when walking away.

I was looking around to have some more info on this swap and I found some links of interest:

http://absurdflow.com/klde.html Quite tech and a lot of info on the V6.... and a swap into MX5/Miata

http://davidandjemma.com/mazda/KL.htm similar here with a tech engine info

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=209 Some engine management system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle Just a favourite system in respirator help to an engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine Just a common knowledge about Mazda V6

I just have to lay back and see how your are doing the swap... I will follow it. Quite interesting stuff

I did see that your KLDE V6 is able to do 7000 - 7500rpm but the KLZE is not doing more then 6000 rpm, new info to me and therefore you are closer to the rotary thing in the 9000 rpm range.

But at last the 5 speed box do have a failure inside, there are some plastic knobs that is best to swap to aluminium. the plastic junk will break but not the alu, and then you are loosing gears.

All the best

clairetoo

posted on 26/2/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Both the KLDE and KLZE are safe to 8000 - the limiting things are the stock inlet manifold , and the ECU . Swapping to ITB's and a standalone ECU will get you over 200 BHP , and lose a lot of weight .

I've wondered a bit about the KL into an RX8 - I would be interested to look at an adapter to fit the KL to the RX gearbox if they was going to be enough interest . Also , as I understand it , the RX8 has a subframe similar to the Mx5 - maybe a tubular one could be done to make more engine room - if needed ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

KFC

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Both the KLDE and KLZE are safe to 8000 - the limiting things are the stock inlet manifold , and the ECU . Swapping to ITB's and a standalone ECU will get you over 200 BHP , and lose a lot of weight .

I've wondered a bit about the KL into an RX8 - I would be interested to look at an adapter to fit the KL to the RX gearbox if they was going to be enough interest . Also , as I understand it , the RX8 has a subframe similar to the Mx5 - maybe a tubular one could be done to make more engine room - if needed ?

Hey,
Good to hear from you!
I had some more measuring and it's going to be close, the mods would be moving the clutch master cylinder which I'm not interested in doing and the crank pulley. I have ideas how to over come these but don't really want to.
I have another RX8 that I'm putting a new engine in to sell, it's a bit of work I have on the side to make a bit of money.

I drive them after I fit the new engine and clutch ect, I really like the driver feedback, it is a nice car to drive.
I know I'll have issues with the dash but Im not to bothered, I'll drive it with fuses pulled till I can sort it.

When I have the engine out for a rebuild I'll just lower the V6 in without the crap manifold and pipework around the back of the engine but leave the auxillaries on just to see what fits. the subframe is forward of the crank pulley so there's issues with sump clearance but I think I'll mod it anyway if it will gain me some room for a deeper airbox.
I was going to tackle to adapter plate myself but I don't have a mill.
Would you be interested in making one? Would you need my gearbox?

clairetoo

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
The pipework on the back of the engine is the thermostat housing and heater take-off - I leave it all in place since its not easy to modify !
I would like to have a look at doing an adapter - I could do it from either a gearbox or engine block .

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

KFC

posted on 26/2/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The pipework on the back of the engine is the thermostat housing and heater take-off - I leave it all in place since its not easy to modify !
I would like to have a look at doing an adapter - I could do it from either a gearbox or engine block .

Sorry, I meant vacuum and fuel lines. Just clean at the back of the engine as it will be close to the bulkhead, the split line is considerably further back than most cars.

Kev

[Edited on 26/2/14 by KFC]

[Edited on 26/2/14 by KFC]

DIY Si

posted on 4/3/14 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Once you go to ITBs, all the vacuum and fuel lines disappear anyway, so that should save you a good bit of bother. Although whilst the stock inlet isn't great for power, it is low.

This gives an indication of how high my ITBs are next to the stock plug leads as viewed from the back of the engine. I do intend to machine them a bit shorter but also fit trumpets to them so I'm expecting to need some form of bonnet bulge on my car, a '69 Sprite.

And should you be having issues with the crank pulley, the later 626 pulley has both a smaller diameter outer section, and a 32-1 trigger wheel on it. You may have to ship one in from the States though, as I've not yet found new ones in the UK.

eBay Item

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

clairetoo

posted on 4/3/14 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to note is that the fuel rails will be quite a bit higher than the top of the throttle bodies - although I have got a couple of sets of Pico-type short injectors which lower them substantially .
I have also done some much shorter trumpets - we dyno'd these on a similar setup to mine (in another V6 Mx5) and it made more power than mine (but mine is suffering a bit of a miss-fire....)

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 5/3/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Claire,

When you say more power, can you remember what it made? Or better yet, post the graph up?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

KFC

posted on 19/3/14 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had a go at seeing how close the KLDE would go in the RX8, not very far, the sump hit the subframe, it was just a quick one to see what the major issues were.
I buy the RX8 cheap to sell on with a rebuilt engine, while I had the last one I used it for a mock up.

[img]
[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by me!
Watching with interest... I was thinking about exactly the same thing today!

[Edited on 19/3/14 by KFC]

clairetoo

posted on 19/3/14 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I rework the sump to fit in the Mx5 - with the engine north/south the stock sump is a front bowl , so I just cut it all off and build one that works !

This is how it sits in my Mx5

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

KFC

posted on 6/5/14 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Donner Car

Hi all.
So I've bought a doner car that will be my commuter. It has a sunroof and satnav which I wanted so work will commence soon!

KFC

posted on 2/8/14 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, now the work has started, I have a spare car, engine and gearbox to do the mock up work on. I've made a temporary adapter plate while Claire makes mine out 20mm ally.
The block goes in but I still have to cut a bit out of the bulkhead, the most important thing is that the crank pulley and lower part of the engine clears my subframe and chunky steering rack.
This will be a quick mod, I'm going for simplicity and keeping many parts standard so if someone else wants to copy it, its not going to break the bank and not a huge project. I need this finished this year so I'm aiming to be done in 3 months.

clairetoo

posted on 16/9/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox to engine adapter is now finished - so a couple of photos !

The lightened Rx8 flywheel is sitting on a custom spacer , so it will use a stock Rx8 clutch and starter - cant wait to see some more progress !

PS - I have the distributer blanking plug sat here ready.............

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

KFC

posted on 16/9/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The gearbox to engine adapter is now finished - so a couple of photos !

The lightened Rx8 flywheel is sitting on a custom spacer , so it will use a stock Rx8 clutch and starter - cant wait to see some more progress !

PS - I have the distributer blanking plug sat here ready.............

Hey, how are you able to put large photos on? Are you using an app on your phone? I have a few photos to put on..

clairetoo

posted on 16/9/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KFC

Hey, how are you able to put large photos on? Are you using an app on your phone? I have a few photos to put on..

Easy peasy - I've just mailed you how to do it...............

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

KFC

posted on 16/9/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ok,
Have a look..

This car was scrap so I could use it to learn from and not be too bothered about damaging or cutting too much, templates were made after..

KFC

posted on 28/2/15 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 28/2/15 by KFC]
KFC

posted on 10/11/15 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the first look at my inlet set up, I'm using the standard injectors as they sit very low, cut the old manifold, lots of machining and welding. I've got lots of good practice in! The linkage should be done in a couple of weeks so I'll upload another photo.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[Edited on 10/11/15 by KFC]

Whitti_uk

posted on 10/11/15 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
I had an RX8 for a couple of months and then sold having seen all the horror stories with the engines. Car was slow yet never achieved above 19mpg on motorway and guzzled just as much oil. Next owner ended up paying for an engine rebuild a few months down the line.

Lovely looking cars though and a strong engine would be brilliant in one!

marc_cowley

posted on 30/12/15 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I know its over a year but any updates or did this get scrapped? Thanks

C30 T5

KFC

posted on 30/12/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc_cowley
I know its over a year but any updates or did this get scrapped? Thanks

Hi,
I've been so busy with the project I forget about updating this thread. I'd say I'm about 80% done. In a few days I hope to be doing the last job, the wiring loom!!!! That's straight forward. That's if I get about 15 to 20 hours in garage to finish off the single wiper mount and airbox tray.

marc_cowley

posted on 30/12/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
awesome, look forward to some more pics, have you said what your doing ecu wise? if i get around to doing this i think i'll go emerald.

C30 T5

KFC

posted on 30/12/15 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc_cowley
awesome, look forward to some more pics, have you said what your doing ecu wise? if i get around to doing this i think i'll go emerald.

It's emu with another ecu to make the dash work from Craig at Driftworks in Birmingham.

stevec33

posted on 2/1/16 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a cool project, not very many v6's about yet most seem to have 2.0 turbo 4 pots
marc_cowley

posted on 6/1/16 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, does your elec steering still work as it should? Thanks

C30 T5

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.