Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to see in/around Glasgow?
cs3tcr

posted on 27/11/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
What to see in/around Glasgow?

I'm heading to the UK in February to first visit a good friend of mine playing hockey in Nottingham, then travelling to Glasgow to see some distant relatives. I'll have a bit of time to spare in Glasgow, so I'm wondering what to do and see. The last time I was there what I saw the most was the inside of Primark. Though I did spent time in some pubs on Sauchiehall and spent two days in Tighnabruaich. I'm tempted to drive to Mallaig and take the ferry to Eigg (last know place in Scotland that my dads side is from), but I'm wondering if this is a good idea that time of year (road conditions) and if its even worth going for a day and a half.

Any suggestions?

Rod

coyoteboy

posted on 27/11/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hints as to what sort of thing floats your boat?

cs3tcr

posted on 27/11/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hard to say exactly, good pubs, anything car related, old buildings/castles, decent places to drive to etc. When I was there last time, my now ex-GF was with me, so I had to follow her into every shop, this time I'm on my own unless I can find a new GF by then.
coyoteboy

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
List of nice places to eat in the west end:
http://goo.gl/maps/WSQMs
Visit the transport museum (riverside museum, visible on that link)
I always enjoy the drive over to Inverary - not much there but it's a nice drive in the mountains if the weather is good - I do it occasionally to go get fish and chips.

Drive around the west end to see some nice buildings like the university main building (big gothic thing) and art gallery.

I struggle to suggest places to go for a day as I've never visited islands apart from Arran, and even then I get bored fairly fast unless I'm climbing a mountain.
Falkirk wheel is worth stopping in at if you're on the way past.

Pop over to Edinburgh for an afternoon, lovely to visit/see for a day. Could also head up to Knockhill (Dunfermline, Fife KY12 9TF) if there's any racing on.

If you're lucky it'll be snowy and cold, in which case you'll still be able to get to most places. To be fair, pretty much all of the south half of Scotland is your oyster within 3 hours drive.

[Edited on 27/11/13 by coyoteboy]

sam919

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
You could try the transport museum on the way to Cambuslang, worth a browse, pretty tame but a few intersting things there.

You could pop down Byers Road for a cofffee/ pint in 'cultural' places.

There's a dry ski slope round the corner from Ibrox stadium if you fancy breaking limbs

Further afield you could try and get on one of the roads used in the latest bond film Skyfall towards Glen Coe i think, try pistonheads Scotland there's a thread on where they are.

Trip to Malaig is a fair treck and across to Skye high propability of rain but the Cullin hills are pretty spectacular and there's plenty of places to stay.

If your feelling adventurous you can get a seaplane from Glasgow to Loch Lomond, find it on google, weather permitting.

Also weather permitting a phone call to Strathaven, just south of glasgow about half an hour, will get a flight in a light aricraft / microlight which is a bit nifty.

A short trip from Largs to Isle of Cumbrae could be quite entertaining, pop across for a bight to eat etc

A drive up to Perth then upto Dunkeld you can do the landrover experience, take a brand new V8 Range Rover and rag the tits off it , then go on teh off roading course which you wont believe they are letting you do, takes about 5 hours in all very worth while and an eye opener for a 130 grand car.

Tonnes of bueaty spots, Kinnoul hill outside Perth, Queens View near Aberfeldy, the Hermitage next to Dunkeld.

Edinburgh Castles a bit pricey and touristy but quite spectacular.

If you get upto Loch ness, you turn right to go to Malaig, but a nice drive upto Inverness along the shores, biggest freshwater loch in UK.

Hope this helps, if you find anything and wonder what its about post it here im sure to have come across it!

britishtrident

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
The Riverside (Transport) Museum -- it is truly dreadful they a great collection of Scottish cars & Trams but since museum moved from the Kelvin Hall they are so very poorly displayed with zero explanatory text so unless you have an interest in ship building and ship models it isn't worth the bother.

The adjacent Tall Ship is however worth visiting and it is a very good place for a snack lunch.

Places worth visiting: In Glasgow: Hunterian Museum and its' Charles Rennie Mackintosh flat. Kelvin Grove Museum, Botanic Gardens, House for an Art Lover.
If you like antiques a visit to the Great Western Auction house can be fun.

Out of Glasgow: Hill House in Helensburgh, New Lanark, in the Denny Tank Museum in Dumbarton is intersting.

If you want to do an island visit the a trip to Cumbrae (Millport) via Largs is the easiest I would recommend leave the car in Largs and get island bus to Millport at the other end of the ferry.

You could also to a run down the west cost Culzean Castle, I recommend you have lunch in Wilding restaurant the near by Maidens village harbour, then continue down the coast road through Girvan to Ballantrae --- the road south of Girvan used to be a truly fantastic drive and although it has been tamed in the last 30 years still has spectacular scenery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bladerunner

posted on 28/11/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Glasgow

As you are on this site you are interested in all things "Kit". Go to the Kelvingrove Museum and have a look at the Anderson Special. This was built by my Grandfather in 1936 has hydrolastic suspention, two Hilman Hunter engines on a common crankcase making a flat eight, and four wheel drive. He was eventually banned from entering competitions as he kept winning. There are a few films on the car if you Google Anderson Special.

Adventure before Dementia

britishtrident

posted on 28/11/13 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
As you are on this site you are interested in all things "Kit". Go to the Kelvingrove Museum and have a look at the Anderson Special. This was built by my Grandfather in 1936 has hydrolastic suspention, two Hilman Hunter engines on a common crankcase making a flat eight, and four wheel drive. He was eventually banned from entering competitions as he kept winning. There are a few films on the car if you Google Anderson Special.

Andersons of Newton Mearns was one of the respected historic names of the motor trade in Scotland.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

- it is truly dreadful they a great collection of Scottish cars & Trams but since museum moved from the Kelvin Hall they are so very poorly displayed with zero explanatory text so unless you have an interest in ship building and ship models it isn't worth the bother.

Interesting. I found it quite good - you can often get bogged down in endless reams of text about things, I think they've generally presented quite well though the wall of cars does kind of mean you can't see the top ones very well.

Personally I don't much care for the history of cars unless that one car has particular history itself, each to his own!

cs3tcr

posted on 28/11/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have asked about all this before i went last time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.