Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Transmission choices for a xflow motor
trialsman

posted on 8/12/13 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
Transmission choices for a xflow motor

Has any one put a non ford transmission on a xflow with success? I am having a devil of a time finding a replacement tranny for my locost. It would have to be a tranny that I can find in the States. T9's are very expensive IF you can find them. I have heard that T-5's are very large in the bell housing area. Russ
rusty nuts

posted on 8/12/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
How about rebuilding your present transmission(Gearbox as it's known here) Burtonpowers website lists a load of parts, not the cheapest place but would give you some idea of cost
trialsman

posted on 8/12/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
The Gear box I have is the Ford 4 speed with integral bellhousing. I am going to put a 1600cc Kent in my Locost. From what I have heard on this forum the tranny is very weak and can't handle over 1300cc's. Plus the second gear syncro is going out and there are no parts in the US of A for it.

[Edited on 12/8/2013 by trialsman]

tbowdery

posted on 8/12/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
The Ford Merkur XR4Ti used to come with a T9 in the States.
$300 for a used one here...
http://www.merkur.50megs.com

Paul Turner

posted on 8/12/13 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trialsman
The Gear box I have is the Ford 4 speed with integral bellhousing. I am going to put a 1600cc Kent in my Locost. From what I have heard on this forum the tranny is very weak and can't handle over 1300cc's. Plus the second gear syncro is going out and there are no parts in the US of A for it.

[Edited on 12/8/2013 by trialsman]

The Type 2 gearbox is a really nice piece of kit.had one in my first car, coped with 135 bhp for several years. I know racers who used them with 150+ bhp with no real issues but they did give them frequent freshen ups.

Quaiffe do a really nice gear kit for that box, OK its strait cut but in my experience its the quietest strait cut I have ever used. Little whine in 1, 2 and 3, top is totally silent. Willeasilly cope witha 1600,mine coped with 175 bhp and slicks for several seasons.

caroline89

posted on 9/12/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
What about reconstructing your present transmission Burton forces site records a burden of parts, not the shabbiest spot yet might give you some thought of expense..

Truck driving jobs

trialsman

posted on 10/12/13 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Burton does not seem to have any overhaul kits for the type 2 and only a few parts. Does anyone know where to get a complete kit including syncros?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.