Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aftermarket Duratec ECU
peter030371

posted on 17/12/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Aftermarket Duratec ECU

Has anyone on here got experience of either the Omex 600 or Emerald K6 ECUs on a Duratec?

Next year I will need one or the other but currently having a hard time choosing between the two. Both can be supplied with a suitable 'start-up map' to get me up and running. Both are about the same price. Both seem easy enough to build a suitable loom.

So it comes down to which is easier to DIY install, which has the most 'usable' features and which works better on a Duratec (standard ST150 engine apart from better exhaust and GSXR throttle bodies).

I could build a Megasquirt, being an owner of an Electronic design and Assembly company with a full production line at my disposal that's a bit more 'bus-mans holiday' than I want in my car

jeffw

posted on 17/12/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Either will work fine. Omex supply Duratec engines (with ITBs/Management) to Morgan and other OEMs so have some experience...

peter030371

posted on 17/12/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jeff

I have spoken to Omex and they certainly seem to know what they are talking about....but then so does Dave Walker and I have 'followed' him since the Car and Car Conversion days

I like the idea of taking the car when finished to Dave Walker for him to setup on his rolling road as he certainly knows how to make it sing.....but I have a Race Technology DL1 with Omex CAN interface sat on my shelf ready for the new car.....decisions decisions!

Maybe I should ask each of them why they are better then the other

lsdweb

posted on 17/12/13 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Race Technology / Emerald also have an interface for the Race Technology stuff to connect to the Emerald ECU (Race Technology borrowed my Emerald ECU to develop it!)

Regards

Wyn

peter030371

posted on 17/12/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I already have the Omex CAN interface as it came with my DL1....I wonder how much more the Emerald one will cost me?....I am trying to find a reason to have to sell my Dash2/DL1 combi and then upgrade to the new Dash2Pro with a few options added....that could tip the balance
Andy D

posted on 17/12/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Hi Jeff

I have spoken to Omex and they certainly seem to know what they are talking about....but then so does Dave Walker and I have 'followed' him since the Car and Car Conversion days

I like the idea of taking the car when finished to Dave Walker for him to setup on his rolling road as he certainly knows how to make it sing.....but I have a Race Technology DL1 with Omex CAN interface sat on my shelf ready for the new car.....decisions decisions!

Maybe I should ask each of them why they are better then the other

A couple of relatively electrical numpties (Me & son) managed to fit an Emerald ecu to my son's Honda Civic race car. We got it up and running OK to get to Dave Walker for mapping.
As far as I know he only maps Emerald equipped cars nowadays, and is very busy. Excellent help over the phone with any problems etc too.
I'm guessing you'll be much nearer to Emerald's rolling road then we were.. something to take into account when making your choice?

andylancaster3000

posted on 17/12/13 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar decision for a duratec build a couple of years ago . Ended up going with the Omex mainly due to it being at a very good group buy price as features weren't a lot different.

As with Andy's comments above re. the Emerald, the Omex is a nice easy bit of kit to use and understand. I built the loom myself and when it came to the first start it went and idled on the first crank. Was even able to happily drive it straight away on the base map.

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/12/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I built a Mega squirt and have no complaints

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

jeffw

posted on 17/12/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The Omex 600 uses a serial interface and needs to be upgraded to 0.70D to allow the use with the Serial ECU interface from RT. The telemetry needs to be turned on via the ECU as well. Causes some issue but as long as you know about them it is fine. I use Atspeed in Rayleigh to map my Omex and they are a little closer to Hawkhurst than Emerald.

As I'm only up the road in Paddock Wood you are welcome to come round and look at my RT Dash2/Video4/Omex ECU cable setup if you want.

sam919

posted on 17/12/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used the omex 600 on my duratec, excellent customer support and easy to use software I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.
peter030371

posted on 20/12/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
As I'm only up the road in Paddock Wood you are welcome to come round and look at my RT Dash2/Video4/Omex ECU cable setup if you want.

I might take you up on that offer in the new year

baz-R

posted on 22/12/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I built a Mega squirt and have no complaints

i can 2nd that and if you dont want to build your own look up extraefi
also get a wideband

i will point out unless you are useing exactly all the same bits and bobs as the base map is designed for everything will need setting up

getting anything to run is easier than you think

jeffw

posted on 22/12/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:

I might take you up on that offer in the new year

You would be welcome....I can even take you out in the Phoenix if you want

peter030371

posted on 23/12/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baz-R

i can 2nd that and if you dont want to build your own look up extraefi
also get a wideband

I already have a V2.2 board assembled behind my on the shelf along with a WB setup.....but that is not a very good fit for the Duratec. By the time I build up a Megasquirt to match what I want it will cost almost the same as an Omex or Emerald but will still not quite be the same in terms of CAN performance (to link to me Dash2) and the resale value is arguably lower.

I don't want my new car to do 'DIY' electronics on, I do that all day at work I want to do mainly mechanical stuff on it i.e. hit it with a big hammer and use off off-the-shelf solutions for the ECU and Dash

I have NOTHING against the Megasquirt and for some it is perfect....but on this project its not what I am after

jeffw

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
There is no CAN-Bus on the Omex 600, the link to the Dash2 is via a serial link.

[Edited on 23/12/13 by jeffw]

peter030371

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
There is no CAN-Bus on the Omex 600, the link to the Dash2 is via a serial link.

lol, OK getting my serial and CAN mixed up again (and CAN is a serial bus anyway :p), should read what I type before posting.... BUT an Omex will connect to the Omex interface on my DL1/ Dash2 combination.

Any other solution (including the Emerald) will need me to get my current Rach Tech ECU interface changed/ updated which I am sure will cost more money

I think I am 99.9% settled on the Omex now. I will probably make my final choice at the Autosport show in January

jeffw

posted on 23/12/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Remember if you go Omex you'll need 0.70D which they don't ship by default (assuming a Omex 600). Speak to Richard at the Omex stand and he'll know what you are on about.

If you want to go high end how about

http://www.liferacing.com/?page_id=126

peter030371

posted on 23/12/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have spoken to Omex and they said about the 0.70D firmware

I don't want high end as such but a nicely integrated system as befits a car with bugger all spare space Mind you an ECU with that many spare inputs and PWM outputs could probably run the LED based lighting system very nicely (that would be overkill on a Striker though )

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.