Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bottoming down on acceleration
Nitrogeno25

posted on 23/12/13 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bottoming down on acceleration

I'm trying to solve a problem with my car that became more evident when I replace the engine (more power duratec).

When I accelerate hard in first the rear suspension is bottoming down (more evident in rough surfaces). I was advice to use hard springs, but on the track the car tends to oversteer a bit, so a firmer rear will be worse.

Is there anybody experiencing bottoming down in hard launches?

Thanks!

Cheers.

[Edited on 23/12/13 by Nitrogeno25]

ReMan

posted on 23/12/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
There are others here more clever than me who I am sure will advise further.
IMHO it's not that you need hard springs, but you need the right springs, which may only be a few lbs heavier than you currently have to dial this out.
However, have you experimented with the damping at all?
Compresion damping settings will affect squat on the rear and I believe, although to a lesser extent, so do the front rebound settings.

Also as you already know suspension is designed with a purpose. So a drag racer (as you describe) will need different settings to a circuit car. Try to do both and you have to compromise

Have fun

[Edited on 23/12/13 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

britishtrident

posted on 23/12/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrogeno25
I'm trying to solve a problem with my car that became more evident when I replace the engine (more power duratec).

When I accelerate hard in first the rear suspension is bottoming down (more evident in rough surfaces). I was advice to use hard springs, but on the track the car tends to oversteer a bit, so a firmer rear will be worse.

Thanks!

Cheers.

Unless you want to start moving suspension mounting points on the chassis fit stiffer rear springs and also increase the front roll stiffness by either stiffer spring or fitting a front anti-roll bar.
If you fit a front anti-roll bar don't make it too stiff the front springs still have to be able to work i roll and single wheel bumps.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bozla

posted on 23/12/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got adjustable dampers? If you could increase the damping the car may avoid bottoming out, and you wouldn't need harder springs.
Nickp

posted on 23/12/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Is there anyway to increase the amount of travel you have available? If not then the only way to stop it bottoming out is to stiffen it either with springs or damping as already suggested.
nick205

posted on 23/12/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have scope to raise the rear and lower the front ride height a little?

britishtrident

posted on 23/12/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Re dampers remember a lot of dampers are only adjustable on rebound which won't exactly help.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ivan

posted on 24/12/13 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
An obvious question - are you sure your springs aren't becoming coil bound as they compress - it might not be bottoming but the coils might be binding before the suspension bottoms out.
phelpsa

posted on 24/12/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thanks!

Cheers.

A few more specific bits of information about your suspension setup would help narrow things down. Anything you can give us (spring rates, ride heights, damper settings etc?).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nitrogeno25

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:

Thanks!

Cheers.

A few more specific bits of information about your suspension setup would help narrow things down. Anything you can give us (spring rates, ride heights, damper settings etc?).

Here we go:

Dampers are only adjustable for height not for rebound/compress (changing in the near future though). Spring rate are 220 at the back 350 at the front. I have 80mm under the sump and 10mm rake. With me in the car the dampers are at half the damper travel.

Maybe the cassis pickup points are not well sorted and the car squats when accelerating hard

Thanks again!

drt

posted on 24/12/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
What type of car/suspension are you running ?

With bellcranks you could alter the lenghts/angles so the suspension would be progressive through the stroke.
Ofc some anti squat geometry would help... but only marginal, as I suspect that your car is light and with a low CG.

[Edited on 24/12/13 by drt]

drt

posted on 24/12/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drt
What type of car/suspension are you running ?

With bellcranks you could alter the lenghts/angles so the suspension would be progressive through the stroke.
Ofc some anti squat geometry would help... but only marginal, as I suspect that your car is light and with a low CG.

[Edited on 24/12/13 by drt]

should have clarified... anti squat for a track car is advisable to keep it around 25% or less.
Only dragsters use 100% (and some FS cars on the acceleration event only!)

Ivan

posted on 25/12/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:

With me in the car the dampers are at half the damper travel.

Ma!

I think your problem is that you have insufficient damper travel left at ride height - you should have something like 2/3 of the travel left with you in the car at normal ride height. You are thus experiencing the rear suspension bottoming out under roll in cornering causing the over-steer and of course the same problems under acceleration. Hence my original question about spring binding which gives similar symptoms.

I would think re-location of the dampers to give better travel at ride height will go a long way towards solving your problems and you could then maybe also look at higher spring rates - but first get the damper travel issues sorted..

blakep82

posted on 25/12/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
What type of rear end is it?
If live axle, you may be able to build in some anti squat geometry? Eg on a live axle you put the top link bar about an inch or so up (so the two bars arent parallel) and this has the effect of pushing down on the axle under acceleration (or something on those lines)
I'm sure theres a similar set up for irs axles, but a bit of reading up on "anti squat geometry" may hold some inspriration for you.
Check for coil binding, and shock length etc first though as well as all the suggestions above. Might not be as bad as you think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.